Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
Skylights on 75 sovereign

Could someone please tell me what the skylight windows on a 31 ft 75 sovereigh are made of? I am tinting the windows. If they are glass I can tint them from the outside. If they are plastic I have to tint them from the inside. Sure hope they are glass. I just finished tinting the rock guard, wow, what a nice improvement I am using SOLAR STAT dark smoke from J.C.Whitney.

Thanks

Billy Spier
bdbluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbluegrass
Could someone please tell me what the skylight windows on a 31 ft 75 sovereigh are made of? I am tinting the windows. If they are glass I can tint them from the outside. If they are plastic I have to tint them from the inside. Sure hope they are glass. I just finished tinting the rock guard, wow, what a nice improvement I am using SOLAR STAT dark smoke from J.C.Whitney.

Thanks

Billy Spier
Billy...by skylights do you mean the windows that are on the sides above the regular windows? If so they are called Vista Views and yes they should be glass. If you are talking about the ones on the top in the vents they are plastic.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
Thanks Aaron. Yes I am talking about the vista views. I wasnt sure what they were called. They appear to be glass but I wasn't sure. I think you just made my job a lot easier.

thanks again

Billy
Old 08-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
I have the same year and model. they are glass. if you have not removed them and resealed them then you might want to do that first. this would also allow you to put the tint on the inside of the otter (glass) window. the inner is plastic. search for other threads on how to remove and reseal these windows.
-Garth
garthbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthbf
I have the same year and model. they are glass. if you have not removed them and resealed them then you might want to do that first. this would also allow you to put the tint on the inside of the otter (glass) window. the inner is plastic. search for other threads on how to remove and reseal these windows.
-Garth
Garth,
1975 is a split year on the Vista Views, the earlier part of the production run have the Vista Views like you describe, the latter part has a sealed unit that cannot be readily dissasembled...been there done that

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
skylight windows in sovereign

Hi Garth
My Vista Views Would Be Quiet A Project To Remove. I Am Going To Tint Them On The Outside Then We Are Going On A Long Trip Approx 5000 Miles. Leave Ark To Ca. Bay Area Where We Are From, Then On Up North To Idaho Then East To Minn.then Back To The Ozarks. So By Then I Should Know How The Outside Tint Is Going To Hold Up. I Am Tinting All The Windows So It Should Be A Good Test For The Outside Tint.

Thanks Again For Your Help

Billy