Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
Skylight replaced on new trailer-Look ok?

I've been jumping around in different sub-forums asking questions about our new 2008 Safari Sport. It was purchased new from remaining inventory at a semi-active dealer. We've had it for two weeks. Sorry for all the questions.

Before the purchase, my wife and I noticed the skylight was cracked. It was repaired three weeks later, and we picked up the trailer. I finally got on a ladder and checked it out. Does the replacement look okay? It looks odd to me.

I figured out those peaks of white caulking are covering up screws. Sounds good. Should there be a gap between the plastic and the roof? Looks like cork or wood in there. I searched other threads and thought I saw similar, but also saw the gap filled with caulking on some images.

There is new caulking around the base of the radio antenna. They probably were just touching it up while working on the roof, right? Looks normal?

What is that in the blurry rear shot? A sewage vent? Why so much caulking around it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOF01.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	141839   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOF02.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	141840  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOF03.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	141841  
nesvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
The white dabs are on top of screws. The sealing surface is around the screws (used quite a bit of vulkem on mine on flat plate where it screws to), not where it folds down towards the roof. Hope this is somewhat clear..

The other vent is for the gray and black tanks. It appears gobs of sealant were used. Personally I wouldn't worry about the neatness of job as long as it doesn't leak, and it was a polyurethane sealant, not silicone.

All these jobs are just temporary. You'll be replacing the skylight again, soon enough (they rot out with remarkable speed and thats why yours has already been replaced). If the stuff holds for three or four years, you got your time out of it..
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
How long the skylight last is dependent on how intense the sunlight is. Airstream and other trailer manufacturers do not use very good plastic. In Vermont, they should last much longer than in Southern California. They can also be destroyed by hail. They are one of the first pieces to break. If you install a new one yourself in the future, make sure you do not over tighten the screws as it will crack around them in a matter of days.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
How long the skylight last is dependent on how intense the sunlight is.
Exactly..that's the reason all our vent covers, AC and skylight get covered during storage. Replaced our skylight this past Spring with a unit from Inland RV, much more substantial than OEM.
Yes there should be a bead of sealant between the cover and the shoulder of the opening. There was no gasket on our 03 Classic.

Bob
Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Don't fret, your top looks exactly like ours. Yes we had the crack too but I smeared some goop on it hoping to get another year out of it before replacement. At least with the overabundance of sealant we haven't had any leaks.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Maxim Skylights

[QUOTE=nesvt;1055479]
Before the purchase, my wife and I noticed the skylight was cracked. It was repaired three weeks later, and we picked up the trailer. I finally got on a ladder and checked it out. Does the replacement look okay? It looks odd to me.

/QUOTE]

Before you replace the skylight, do a search on "Maxim" in this forum. Also read the many posts in the following link. The link is long, but well worth the effort.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...hts-53517.html
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I also have the skylight from Inland RV, its been up a couple years now and so far it looks good. No hazing or discoloration yet. The factory skylight had gone downhill a lot in the same amount of time. The Inland replacement appears to be of sturdier and better material.

The second round of New Jensen vent covers are on my to do list.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
I had our skylight replaced at the Spokane AS dealer in April. It looks exactly like your picture. The previous one had a small crack and leaked. The tech indicated it probably would have blown off had I not replaced it. I think it was the original but can't be sure.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I must be lucky. Mine are 17 years old and still ok! they are crazed and not pristine but no leaks and not been recaulked.
Now that I've mentioned this I'm sure they are going to leak.
The other post about Maxam skylights is interesting.
They are a residential type of skylight. Much heavier than the original. That is obviously one of the downsides of a trailer skylight. They make them light weight and therefore they are not very strong.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
I just replaced both of my skylights this morning. The OEM Part Number items I received were both too large to use the trim ring which comes with them. I Unhappily put them on as they will do what they are supposed to do, but I took exact measurements and will be buying the Maxims others are so happy with.
Philip
PhilipKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I also have the skylight from Inland RV, its been up a couple years now and so far it looks good. No hazing or discoloration yet. The factory skylight had gone downhill a lot in the same amount of time. The Inland replacement appears to be of sturdier and better material.

The second round of New Jensen vent covers are on my to do list.

Also used Inland RVs' replacement, very happy with the quality...even came with a tube of Sikaflex 221!!

Bob
Old 12-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
One point about skylights I just found out has to do with the warrantied life. If you purchase polycarbonate, there is a variance in the expected life. Clear and bronze tinted are warrantied for two years, whereas white carries a five year warranty. I don't spend much time staring out at the sky through mine and just want the light so I am replacing mine (2007 Classic) with white to lengthen the time until I have to do it again.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote