Old 02-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
mountain view , California
Skylight plastic replacement.

What kind of plastic top will replace the originals? I am not going to spend $70 for the "original". What other types are acceptable?

Old 02-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

what is wrong with your vents that have you wanting to replace them? Mine were fine other than the horrible looking plastic "windows"-I took mine apart and replaced the yellowed brittle plastic covers with new lucite panels. Now I can see the moon shine through at night and I get lots of light from above! I should also mention that I removed the whole plastic interior fitting too! Not sure if this idea helps but I thought I try!

Simon

Old 02-19-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just bought a 58 Overlander International. Whatever was in the front ceiling is gone. It's not square by retangular and missing. There is a board covering the hole with caulk all around it. What was there and can it be replaced?
Old 02-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Cardiff , California
Skylight question?

Hi Juel!
I think the hole in the ceiling of your Airstream is a missing Astrodome (sometimes spelled Astradome) skylight. Both Vintage Trailer Supply (www.vintagetrailersupply.com $159.95) and Inland RV (www.inlandrv.com $137.95) carry the size I believe you need. I ordered a replacement from Vintage Trailer Supply and am OH SO HAPPY with it. (My other was crumbling from age.) Vintage Trailer Supply has some installation tips for you online, as well.

If you are interested in viewing some other Airstreams, your make and year, you can search www.vintageairstream.com for photos in their archives.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thanks for that information. The vintage trailer supply says they don't carry the hardware for this thing. I'm not sure any of that is still in the trailer. Guess I will know more when I get her home. Maybe next week if they can get the duplicate title from California. Oklahoma won't take a Bill of Sale to register the trailer. Want to get her home and begin inventory on what needs to be done.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Missing dome

Judy, Hope the only thing missing on the "new" baby is the plastic dome itself. From what I understand many original ones were unable to stand up to time and the elements and had to be replaced with new ones. That darned UV damage thing again!!!! Anyway perhaps the previous owner was just too cheap to buy a new one so plywood filled the need to keep the critters out. Good luck Ed
Old 02-20-2006, 06:32 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Turning A/C hole into skylight

I'm thinking of removing my unsightly "humpback" A/C (a "BayBreeze") and putting a skylight over the hole. This would lighten the darkest spot in the trailer--the bedroom of my '72 Ambassador Int'l.--while restoring the clean lines of my twinkie. I think I'll replace the A/C with one of those portable models with the "vacuum hose" hot air venting tube. Has anyone done this? Where's a good place to get durable skylighting plastic?
Old 02-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
mountain view , California
I'm glad you all are getting good use of my thread. lol

But lets get back to my problem. The small plastic domes. I see them on ebay for ten bucks. But there are a few different kinds. Which ones will work on my AS?