Old 08-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
Sealed interior since I was down to bare shell.I was able to see old leaks and corrosion that I cleaned up.Insurance seal inside.I think it only comes in silver.No parties yet,need a couch and a refer!
You had your inside skin off?

Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OK. It's time to add to the mess. My 2 new Fantastic fans arrived last week while we were camping in the Adirondack Mtns. of New York. Had a great time. When I got home I opened the package and checked out the installation instructions. I ordered the fans from Vintage trailer and spoke to them about the recommended sealer at the time of the order. They said that they use the TremPro 644, a silicone based sealant. They insist that they use it on airstream jobs with good results. So, not being happy with one opinion I called Fantastic. They referred me to someone in Fla. that installs hundreds of fans on AS's. When I posed the question to them they agreed with most on this forum that are of the "no silicone" school. They use Dicor 501, self leveling non silicone. I have a tube of polyurathane sealant. A tube of silicone sealant. And now when I manage to locate it I'll have some of the Dicor. Go figure. Ask 2 people and you get 3 different answers. The only source I've found for the dicor is camping world. So next week I may be near one and I'll get some so when I do the job I'll be ready with it. I think I'll stick with the no silicone crowd on this job. There's no real rush, it's too hot to do it right now anyhow.

Thanks for all the advise. I appreciate all the knowledge floating around ouot there. Please keep it up.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Wasn't going to comment..........

...........but I just can't let folks walk down the wrong path.

You want the skinny from someone who works on hundreds of RV roofs every year and uses cases of sealants, not just the DIY guys who do their own trailer and become weekend experts? (sorry guys, but I use more sealants in a week than you will use in your lifetime)

EVERY major motor home or trailer manufacturer use one of 2 products: Dicor self leveling sealant or SikaFlex 221 one part polyurethane sealant. I see these on virtually every roof I am on, from small travel trailers to Million Dollar motor homes.

YOU WILL NEVER FIND SILICONE ON THE ROOF OF ANY RV OEM'S PRODUCT I don't care what VTS or any other supplier says, USE SILICONE SEALANTS AT YOUR PERIL!!!!! The reasons can be found in many threads on this Forum, so I won't get into that.

Dicor is a good product but tends to show shrinkage cracking in a few years, necessitating the re-application of the product. I do this on a regular basis due to the brutal winter sun exposure in SW Florida.

SikaFlex 221 is a great sealant and bonding agent that comes in colors and once applied, you will never have to touch it again. Only down side to this is it must be mechanically spread (think plastic putty knife or rubber gloved finger) to properly cover the seams you are sealing. Almost any roof penetration should use a layer of butyl tape under the flange unless the manufacturer provides you with a gasket, like Fantastic or all of the roof air conditioner OEMs. In these cases, NO SEALANT of any type is used on the bottom of the device, just around the screw holes and outer seam on things like power roof fans.

Sika Corp. also has a new self-leveling sealant called SikaFlex 715. This comes in white only and for maximum effectiveness, the roof should be prepped with their special cleaner/prep solution before application. It is an expensive combination, but it is the best stuff I have found yet for this application. It will probably replace Dicor for all of my initial sealing tasks soon. It stays more flexible than Dicor and will not crack or shrink.
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Well, the dasterdly deed is done. At least I hope it's done. A good rain storm will confirm. I used the Sikaflex sealer. I see now why some prefer the self leveling type. The stuff I used was not a self level type. I'm not going to win any contest for neatness but I got them in and sealed the other evening. I had covered them with plastic and sealed it down with masking tape ( a mistake ) in case it rained before getting them sealed. Now I have the baked on tape to clean off. It did not rain. I screwed them down and sealed them Monday evening. It got dark on me so Tuesday evening I finished the inside and wired them up and put the interior trim on. Looks good, works great. The fantastic fan is a nice unit and works as expected and is certainly a lot quieter than the ones I took out. Since they have a much larger fan area they push/ pull a lot more air. Haven't tried out the rain sensor and auto close feature yet.

Overall a nice project and a great improvment. Thanks for all the help and advise. Next I will probably have to tackle my dump valves. The grey water valve seeps and I should probably change them both while I have my hands dirty. Probably wait until spring for that one.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote