Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Shower Exhaust Fan

Can someone help me. The shower vent has a plastic handle to push open and pull closed. I recently had a nephew pull closed too hard and broke the handle. I had often wondered why there was not an exhaust fan in the shower. In looking at how to replace the handle I noticed that there indeed is a wire there for a powered exhaust fan, but evidently was at some point removed by the PO. I removed the screws from the inside but this only took off the decorative trim and there is no access from the inside. Can this whole unit be unscrewed and replaced from the outside -- fan, handle and all? If so where can I get it and what would I ask for.

Thanks,
Waynon
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Do a search for the manufacturer, Ventline. You will also find them on the WEB.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Shower Exhaust Fan

Well, I was able to get the inside plastic "screen" cover off. Not only is there a wire there, there is a little motor with an unattached switch just hanging loose. I tried the switch, a rotary one, and it still works! The shaft comes out the top, but there are no fan blades there. There is no hole for the switch to come out of. How would it have originally worked? What do I do to get it fixed?

Waynon
Old 09-24-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Ventline Shower Exhaust Fan

Thanks Peegreen. When I got the cover off I see that it says Ventline Group, Model VP, 12 volt. On the Ventline web site they list their products but shower vents are not included.

I'd sure like to know if a replacement fan blade can be purchased and I am stumped as to how this things switches, since it is obvious that the little switch that was tucked away inside can't be reached when the exhaust is assembled.

Hope someone can come up with some answers.

Thanks,
Waynon

I tried to upload some pictures, but get msg "page cannot be found".
Old 09-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
VENTLINE search

Thanks to Peagreen! I had searched using shower, exhaust, fan, and got many! pages of interesting but not relevent information. Once I realized that you meant search HERE for manufacturer's name I found several threads and sources, complete with directions and descriptions. Thank you very much!

Waynon
Old 09-24-2006, 04:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
You can purchase a new blade from Ventline for about $5. The only problem is the hole in the blade no longer matches the shape of the motor shaft, "D" vs "spline". I had to replace the motor which forced me to replace the blade. Not such a bad idea since everything was apart anyway and considering the age.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Our recently acquired '87 Excella is close to both of your years. The shower exhaust fan is unbelievably noisy. After you replaced your fan, Peegreen, does the new set up run fairly quietly?

Craig
Old 03-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
try this

I'm in the process of repairing our ventline bath fan--our fan l has a "spline"shaft & I ordered it from Ventline. Call 574-848-4491- ask for Jennie she's a real help. WHATEVER YOU DO ---keep those 2 little screws that hold the motor in the bracket under lock & key. Yep---I lost mine & can not find replacements. BTW our unit is an 04.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:54 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
New bathroom fan

Just noticed that some questions didn't get answered. I finally just installed my new vent fan yesterday. I wanted a new blade and a new switch. It was cheaper just to buy a complete new set and I'm glad I did. Twenty minute job changing it out and the new fan is really quiet.

Thanks again to the forum for the info.

Waynon
Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 AM   #10

georgetown , Texas
We need just a new blade for our bathroom vent fan. I cannot seem to find the part number for the fan blade? I'm thinking of just measuring and going to a RV supply store. (We cannot find the old blade). We have a 1997 Safari. Please help if you know the part number for the fan.
mindagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #11

2005 22' International CCD
Wayland , Michigan
Help please - where can I purchase a replacement handle for the open/close shower vent?
Vic McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
Engineer Rich

1992 35' Airstream 350
Anchor Point, AK and San Antonio, TX , Alaska and Texas
Still looking? I just replaced the entire fan unit out of my RV bathroom...have the old handle...
engineerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
The middle of the plastic handle for the bathroom exhaust fan broke out. It's on our '17 26U FC. There must be a way to repair or replace the handle without replacing the entire fan unit. Has anyone done a repair on the handle ?

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #14
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
The middle of the plastic handle for the bathroom exhaust fan broke out. It's on our '17 26U FC. There must be a way to repair or replace the handle without replacing the entire fan unit. Has anyone done a repair on the handle ?

Dan

Hi Farmer Dan,

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Junction City , OR
Shower Exhaust Fan

Has anybody out there ever replaced the Ventline Vanair 6" Round bathroom roof fan? I have one in my 2005 Safari LS 22 foot. The real question " Is there any easy way to cut the calking compound that glues the fan body to the roof."
I tried very unsuccessfully to cut it with a utility knife with a razor blade in it. The excess that squeeses out along the edge is easy to remove but I can't get the razor blade to penetrate through the calking where the roof and the fan body make a pretty tight joint. I really don't want to damage the roof.
Jerry
Jerry Kegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Junction City , OR
Dear Waynon,
I don't know just how to make this Air Forum thing work exactly or I would send you the answer to your question. However my e-mail address is Jer_Peg@Comcast.net so if you would e-mail me I can send you the whole set of instructions I typed up when I replaced my handle. It worked very well and not too much trouble or work.
Jerry
Jerry Kegel is offline   Reply With Quote