Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
After checking the web site and talking to Maxxair's customer service department, I confirmed that the Fan/Mate 800 & 900 have nearly the same clearances as the MaxxAir II (all models slightly limit full opening) and that the fantastic fan will not be damaged when not completely opened. They also told me that there is very little airflow difference between the Maxxair II and the Fan/Mate. The Maxair II has a shorter footprint so that may be a consideration on deciding which model to select.

Given the $30 lower price and the availability of the silver color, I ordered a Maxxair II from Amazon and will be installing it this afternoon. Will let you know what I think.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We changed the non-powered vent over the bed to a MaxxAir last year. Best thing we ever did. Nothing is worse than having your Fantastic fan shut off and close due to rain on morning dew.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
I've always installed Maxx-Air covers over all my Fantastic Fans, and would never want to do otherswise. Just make sure you get the covers designed for over high speed fans - I think my covers are Model 800's (in white).

There are several advantages to having these covers. You can keep them open when you store your trailer to insure your trailer is adequately ventilated, and can keep your vents open in rainy weather - having 2 fans like we do, one in the front and another in the back of our trailer allows us to bring air in from one fan and out from the other to eliminate condensation and have fresh air flowing throughout the trailer. We also camp in an area where there is frequently high winds, but we can still leave our vent covers open. If we just had the Fantastic Fan covers there'd be a good chance of them blowing off -- I've seen this happen to another Airstream.

John

Agree completely!
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
I found this thread interesting because I am also thinking about adding a vent cover over a Fantastic Fan.
However...when I went to the roof for a closer inspection, I realized that the vent is very, very close to a skylight (see photo).

Has anyone installed a vent cover in such cramped conditions?

Note: The front of the AS is towards the AC unit (left side of the photo).

Thanks in advance for any advise
photo-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Just installed the MaxxAir Fan Mate 900 over my Fantastic Fans. It is high enough to clear the skylight, although it may hang over part of it.
WBCCI #4358
Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Progress Report on installing Max Air Vents

After researching installation of the vent covers and contacting the supplier for insturction my installation is
complete. We installed a Max Air II over the front fantastic fan. For those of you with tight spaces for the installation, the footprint for this vent is 20.8 wide and 22.8 long. It was a very easy install. They provide hinges so that the device may be removed from the roof for cleaning. We installed an original MaxAir over the bathroom vent and that to was a very small job. The footprint for that is 18.5 inches wide by 19.5 inches long. A second Air Max II was installed pver the rear bedroom famtastic fan anfd the instlaton was complete.

If you have any questions whatsoever, a call to Max Air wil connect you with an engineer who can answer all your question in installing the units. We used the silver gray on our vents which sets off well on air streem.. We found that Amazon had the best price and service on them,
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas

Visual reference for any members that want to to this installation in the future. The Maxx Air Fan Mate will fit in the cramped configuration where the center vent is close to the skylight with some overlap.
I am going to change the black one for a white one.
photo-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo-travel View Post
I found this thread interesting because I am also thinking about adding a vent cover over a Fantastic Fan.
However...when I went to the roof for a closer inspection, I realized that the vent is very, very close to a skylight (see photo).

Has anyone installed a vent cover in such cramped conditions?

If you have a month or two before you need to install a vent cover, you may want to attend the Texas Vintage Rally just North of Houston in mid-February.

Thanks to "HappyCampers" Fantastic Fan donated one of their powered vents, and Colaw's RV Salvage (Missouri) donated a roof section with an old vent still attached to be used as a demonstration piece for the fan installation. Unfortunately, Marvin ("HappyCampers") will be unable to attend this year. Fortunately, I was able to pick up the roof section donated by Colaw's.

During one of the seminar presentations I plan on doing the actual (old) vent removal, some sort of a new Fantastic Fan installation, and demonstrate the installation of a Maxxair II vent cover (below) over the Fantastic Fan.

The (undamaged) Fantastic Fan will be taken home by one of the participants of the Vintage Rally.

You have to be in attendance to get a chance to take the FF home.

All ya'all come on down to the Texas Vintage Rally in February - Ya hear??

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #29
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
My feed back is that the Max covers are ugly enough to make Ray Charles wince

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
My feed back is that the Max covers are ugly enough to make Ray Charles wince
\
I agree with you on the older style MaxxAirs with the flat back but the newer Fan Mate 900 is very aero dynamic and attractive I think.
I have them over manual fantastic fans which allow me to leave them open for ventilation when traveling or storage. Also, I never have worried about it raining in because the rain sensor malfunctioned.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/STEWAR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/STEWAR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/STEWAR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
WBCCI #4358