Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Screen in roof vent--ID help

I have three roof vents with screens in my 1967 Trade Wind. One of the screens is different from the others, with an additional part. The closeup in the picture below is the part in question. What is its function? Might this screen have come from an earlier or later model, or are my other two screens incorrrect? All three look the same, except for the additional part.

Thanks,
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen 1.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	80293   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen 2.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	80294  

rasmuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
I have three roof vents with screens in my 1967 Trade Wind. One of the screens is different from the others, with an additional part. The closeup in the picture below is the part in question. What is its function? Might this screen have come from an earlier or later model, or are my other two screens incorrrect? All three look the same, except for the additional part.

Thanks,
Wayne

Hi Wayne.

After 43 years, I don't recognize that part.

I suspect the previous owner installed it for whatever reason they may have had.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post

Thanks,
Wayne
Isn't that the mount for the toggle switch for a vent fan motor?

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
I agree that the housing is to cover a switch. There is a hole in the screen beneath a hole in the housing where the switch would have been placed. The two notches line up correctly with the bars that hold the fan in the vent. This has to be a factory piece, or made by someone with excellent metal working skills. In no way could it have been fabricated by the previous owners of my trailer, given the quality of the other "work" they did.

Wayne
rasmuw is offline   Reply With Quote