Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Roof Vents for Black and Gray Tanks

I am thinking about getting some scaffolding by this Winter so I can work on roof stuff and then make some changes to my current skylights and change out the vent cover/outlets on the roof for the black and gray tanks on the trailer.
I found/stumbled across a plastic vent outlet for blk/gry tanks and they sound like a nice product if they work as advertised. They cost about $30 each and their website and videos make it sound like it's the thing to use..
Any of you ever use this type of vent outlet?

Here's the link:
https://360productsnorthamerica.com/site/home

Look forward to your comments and suggestions.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
On the site they say they are used on the Interstate. I'd like to here from you guys who have them on those coaches too.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We have these:
Cyclone Sewer Vent - Camco RV 40595 - Vents - Camping World
Not real attractive, but they work.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I have seen the product. I have read the advertisement. First, I am still trying to figure out really how many people have an issue with positive pressure through their roof vent causing odor issues??? Really!! I don't know about you but my rv toilet stays closed most of the time I have never had an issue with back pressure while camping even on windy days. I'm not as familiar with a class A going down the road but I still don't think it's a problem enough to spend the money on a contraption only designed to work when the wind blows.
The other thing is I take issue with a company that manipulates their words in such a way that they make it sound like RV manufacturers are endorsing there product and it doesn't say anywhere that they did.
Is it really a problem?? I say replace your vent boot and screen and get on with camping.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Looks like an interesting application for the technology.. If I would have known about them I might have changed when I replaced my roof vents... BUT, I am concerned about drilling multiple fresh holes in MY roof.. YMMV, but, I've got enough leak potential in my roof,,,

Just this week my DW mentioned the holding tank stink issue.. I resolved it my showing her to use more water and close the flush valve sooner... much better result for her.. also, cutting off the bathroom vent before a flush...

The pitch is correct, that if you don't have the 'draw' then the odors do linger near top of the tank waiting for an opening to purge into your breathing space..

Without providing a negative pressure in the tank by this kewl device or an inline fan (which would pull on demand), there will be intrusion of the tank gases.

If I have to replace in the future, I will consider...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Skatiero,
I have no problems with positive pressures or negitive ones either.. Just looking for info from users of this, new to me, style of vent. I have never seen this before and am hoping for some feed back.
The new OEM style vents AS uses on the new trailers are much different than the old stlye cast aluminum type you most likely have on your 89. I would be hard pressed to find a cheaper piece of plastic if my life depended on it. Well, maybe I could if compared to the wonderful OEM skylights they put on these units.

It sounds like I'm complaining, well, yes and no. I just want to buy the best upgrades available when I replace those few cheap OEM products and not look back. Maybe this 360 product is not the best, so I'll keep searching and asking questions.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
cwf,
That's what I thought too. I've used venturi type air horns to cool very hot areas of industrial furnaces and also used the same technology with the water type too.
It just seems like it may work. Is it the best vent cover? I'm not sure yet.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Anything made of plastic will rot and crack in about 10 yrs.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Yep, Currently I'm looknig into the metal type.

Both the one with the lid and also the open cast aluminum type like I had on my old 87. I suppose either would replace the ones I have on my newer trailer.
Never hurts to kick these things around a bit.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Gary Bunzer (The RV Dr) recommended the 360 roof vent at a seminar I attended. Does he get paid to advertise these? Maybe. But I like the science and plan on using these when I have to replace my vents.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
That sharkfin 360 roof vent would sure destroy a tarp if you had to use one some day in an emergency.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I am thinking about getting some scaffolding by this Winter so I can work on roof stuff and then make some changes to my current skylights and change out the vent cover/outlets on the roof for the black and gray tanks on the trailer.
I found/stumbled across a plastic vent outlet for blk/gry tanks and they sound like a nice product if they work as advertised. They cost about $30 each and their website and videos make it sound like it's the thing to use..
Any of you ever use this type of vent outlet?

Here's the link:
https://360productsnorthamerica.com/site/home

Look forward to your comments and suggestions.
THESE ARE AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT!!!!

I have been using them for clients for over a year and I have had nothing but rave reviews about them, and no, they don't pay me to say that! They have solved a lot of fume-related problems in large motor homes.

They are very low profile and the plastic has UV inhibitors in it to extend the life of the product. The plastic also is less brittle than the OEM style (read CHEAP!) roof vent caps, and they are aerodynamically designed to pull the fumes from the tank with as little as a few MPH of breeze.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Good info Lewster, glad you weighed in on this subject.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Good info Lewster, glad you weighed in on this subject.
"Yep, Currently I'm looknig into the metal type.

Both the one with the lid and also the open cast aluminum type like I had on my old 87. I suppose either would replace the ones I have on my newer trailer. Never hurts to kick these things around a bit."

Good info from you as well, Bluto. I've seen these and never knew what to make of them. Will be interested in your install.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks Slowmover,
Install is slated for this Winter. Likewise,
keep us posted if you do something first.
Yesterday, I found an old Shu's News article from 2007 or 8 where he says the 360 is available from the Airstream Store. So it looks to me like Airstream endorses the 360 too.

I'm flip flopping around so much on this thread that I feel like a mackerel.