Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2002, 11:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
Question Roof Vent Original?

The front vent cover for my 72 Tradewind has a plastic center riveted to the metal. The result is a skylight effect. I'd like to know whether this is original or a modification. I, of course, have a water leak I'm trying to track down.
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:41 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I've got the same thing on my '73 landyacht. It has deteriorated and cracked from u/v exposure. needs to be replaced. I need to get a price on a part, if a solid alluminum one is available. Andy only has the plastic-looking one's on his website...but those are "sale" items.

for now, I've got these silly looking vent covers on the trailer...PO installed them....now I'm starting to understand why. These probably divert enough H2O away from the vent to keep it from leaking. probably a cheaper alternative to the hours of messy caulk removal I've been doing lately...some idiot, or series of idiots just put layer upon layer upon layer of caulking around all 3 of these vents. what a mess...major pain to remove and re-do neatly. I suppose paying whatever "shop rate" is to have someone remove it would be WAY more than just paying them to cover it over with one of these things.....that's my theory, anyway. They look stupid on an AS. (I've seen 'em on SOBs, and they seem to look ok on them).

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...fm?skunum=1734

Oh, and I don't know where they're getting the "hole free" installation. 4 holes were drilled in the roof of my trailer to install these.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
Thanks for the info. I intend to start of my restoration, but I'm lucky to be essentially the 2nd owner of this Airstream. I purchased on Ebay from an individual who got it from the original owner for resale. Everything works but the TV antenna. Everything working means I'll have to squeeze in restoration between trips. It does seems wise to start caulking everything and replacing roof gaskets. I just received a batch of Vulkem, so its time to begin. I'll check Andy's site for the replacement. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
Chuck, I checked Andy's site and didn't find what I have. I probably didn't describe what I have very well. The vent cover I have looks like someone cut out the center of a standard metal vent cover and riveted a plastic square in the center of the remaining metal covers perimeter, kind of a square on top of a square. It looks homemade to me. I like the light it provides, but want to keep the unit as original as possible.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:50 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
yeah, I know. That's what I said I think you are describing exactly what I have...I thought mine was home-made too, until I saw your post. I just sent an e-mail off to inland asking if they had solid alluminum ones. (I didn't ask about an exact replacement, because I don't like the idea of a limited life cover; the other covers are solid, and they're not broken ).
Old 11-08-2002, 06:12 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
It looks like is was factory. Thanks for the help Chuck.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:44 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
just an fyi: Andy at inland tells me that the alluminum covers are no longer available.

I bet we could find a square piece of alluminum to replace the plastic, but I wonder if all those rivets...is it worth the effort?