Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Roof-vent fan squeal

First post! I have found information posted on the stock refrigerator fan that was so noisy I about lost it. Fixed. But I have a concern that I have not found addressed here.
I have a brand spankin' new Sport 16ft. The ceiling vent fan has an intermittent squeal. It isn't horrible, but bothersome when all else is quiet, especially for a new trailer. Any observations, suggestions, or fixes would be welcome. I am ecstatic to find such good community support for my recent purchase. I have wanted an Airstream since I was 7 years old, I think!
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to airforums.com! Wow, that's a long to wait for your wish to come true...

The fan squeal sounds like something is too tight, or a bearing is bad. We don't want no squealers, y'get what I mean?

Why not let it run for a day, see if it stops doing that, or fails?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Do you have a FantasticFan?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Good question, Phoenix. I have no documentation in my new owner's portfolio for a "FantasticFan." There are no identifying marks or labels that I can see. How would I know? Interestingly, I was working in the trailer today for about an hour, and the fan was silent (except for fan noise, of course). But on our camping trip last week, it certainly got squeaky after being on for a while. I placed a small amount of teflon lubricant (bike style) in the only place that I felt a little lube might get to the rotational parts - I will see if that make any difference before I call my dealer, our Airstream customer service.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The only reason I asked, is that the Fantastic Vent people are really good about replacing parts (usually for free). However, your Airstream is so new your dealer should fix the squeak under warranty.

For a visual comparison, see photos on the Fantastic Vent Web site, below:

FanTastic Vent - Products
Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Intermittent faults need to be ID'd as such

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Interestingly, I was working in the trailer today for about an hour, and the fan was silent (except for fan noise, of course). But on our camping trip last week, it certainly got squeaky after being on for a while.
That's why I suggested leaving it on for an extended time. If you take it back to the dealer and he turns it on and it works fine, nothing's going to get done.

But if you can tell him that it always happens after running for say, 2¾ hours, then he will have a better idea of what to do.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
I don't think that I have a fantastic fan; I will continue to use it as much as possible, and pursue a new one with the dealer if needed. I am planning another small outing soon. Thanks for the comments.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
So I have a Sure-Flow Comfort Air, as best as I recall. I called Airstream technical support today. Randy called back; I told him about the problem, he got the manufacturer rep on the line, and she agreed immediately to send me a new motor directly. I won't even have to dink around with towing to my dealer. NICE!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi spot, welcome and congrats on the new stream...

even IF they are sending u a new 'universal motor'...

consider delaying install until the existing fan is used more.

run it on all 3 speeds and stop/start it a bunch...give it a WORK OUT.

it may STOP making this noise after more use and u'll have a spare motor just in case...

best o'luck with any or all of the appliances in the stream.

it's really too bad a/s opted NOT to use fantastic vent equipment...

this company has perhaps the BEST customer service and product support of ANY appliance maker...

there are stories here from folks YEARS out of warranty, receiving NEW parts from FF as needed.

shurflo has a LOT 2 do, 2 get even half way to the FF company reputation...

and the water pumps they are most KNOWN for don't have a great reputation...

http://legacy.shurflo.com/pages/RV/r.../911-725-B.pdf

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport FB
Bonita Springs , Florida
Fan-tastic Vent chirp / squeeeek

Totally agree with what has been said about the FF folks. Just got a 2011 AS Sport 22FB and the vent fan started chirping/squeeking after it ran for a few hours. Called FF and they are sending me a new motor asap. They want my current one back so they can see what is up with these.

Great support great products great people...can't beat it.

I assume replacing the motor is not a big issue looks like it should be pretty simple to swap out.

Later,
Tony
TCHURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
One year later....
Just got back from a weeklong trip. The replacement motor for my Sure-Flow started chirping again. I would suspect cheap construction at this point, not a defective unit.

Question: If I decide to go with a Fantastic Fan (the best alternative for quiet operation?) will it slip right in, or will I have a project on my hands?

Spot
Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport FB
Bonita Springs , Florida
Spot,

The vent in my 2011 Sport 22 does the same thing... it chirps when it wants to...usually if is on a long time it goes away. Definitely poor workmanship in the fan...it will eventually be replaced with a Fantastic Fan.

Tony
TCHURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
I know that Fantastic Fans are highly regarded here on these forums. Those that own them, are they silent? I know they will make a "fan" sound, I just don't want to hear any chirping, clicking, wheezing, or general complaining!

Spot
Old 06-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The motor is quiet, but the fan noise can be a little annoying, expecially on HIGH. However, if you want to move a lot of air, there really isn't any way to avoid the noise, expecially with this compact design. The best way to reduce the noise is to install two (or more) fans, and run the one farthest away from where you are on OUT. That way the cool air is drawn in through the FF that is OFF. For example, in our 19-foot Bambi, we run the FF over the dinette table at night, and the cool air is drawn in through the FF over the bed (that is OFF) and though the side window. That way most of the fan blade noise is in the far end of the trailer.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The motor is quiet, but the fan noise can be a little annoying, expecially on HIGH. However, if you want to move a lot of air, there really isn't any way to avoid the noise, expecially with this compact design. The best way to reduce the noise is to install two (or more) fans, and run the one farthest away from where you are on OUT. That way the cool air is drawn in through the FF that is OFF. For example, in our 19-foot Bambi, we run the FF over the dinette table at night, and the cool air is drawn in through the FF over the bed (that is OFF) and though the side window. That way most of the fan blade noise is in the far end of the trailer.
If you have the windows open, you could just run both fans on the exhaust setting, but at a lower speed. You'd get the same or more air movement (net) but the fans could run slow enough that their noise was inobtrusive. Alternately, you could run the far one full tilt on exhaust and the near one on a low setting blowing air in.

Of course, I don't have a Fantastic Fan yet, and the OEM fan in my '75 is plenty noisy. Glancing over at the 100.9F indicated on my outdoor thermometer, I can't imagine wanting to open a window or vent right now anyway though.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Alas, my 16 foot Sport (Bambi) has only one ceiling mounted fan. I don't mind fan and wind sounds, just not "rusty gate" type squeaking.
Spot
Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I have always considered fan motors a routine maintenance item. I prefer fans with ball bearings over plain sintered shafts.

Once a year, I would oil them heavily with sewing machine oil (or 3-in-1) then run them a while, then wipe off all the oil I could and lightly oil them again before putting them back in service. I'd do this at the end of the season, so the bearings were protected against water during the winter.

I do this for my AC fan motor too, but with a heavier oil.

That's what I do. It's neither required or recommended, and it's a hassle, but it worked for me.