Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #15

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The motor is quiet, but the fan noise can be a little annoying, expecially on HIGH. However, if you want to move a lot of air, there really isn't any way to avoid the noise, expecially with this compact design. The best way to reduce the noise is to install two (or more) fans, and run the one farthest away from where you are on OUT. That way the cool air is drawn in through the FF that is OFF. For example, in our 19-foot Bambi, we run the FF over the dinette table at night, and the cool air is drawn in through the FF over the bed (that is OFF) and though the side window. That way most of the fan blade noise is in the far end of the trailer.
If you have the windows open, you could just run both fans on the exhaust setting, but at a lower speed. You'd get the same or more air movement (net) but the fans could run slow enough that their noise was inobtrusive. Alternately, you could run the far one full tilt on exhaust and the near one on a low setting blowing air in.

Of course, I don't have a Fantastic Fan yet, and the OEM fan in my '75 is plenty noisy. Glancing over at the 100.9F indicated on my outdoor thermometer, I can't imagine wanting to open a window or vent right now anyway though.

— David

Il Carriaggio — 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2010 16' Sport
Marana , Arizona
Alas, my 16 foot Sport (Bambi) has only one ceiling mounted fan. I don't mind fan and wind sounds, just not "rusty gate" type squeaking.

Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I have always considered fan motors a routine maintenance item. I prefer fans with ball bearings over plain sintered shafts.

Once a year, I would oil them heavily with sewing machine oil (or 3-in-1) then run them a while, then wipe off all the oil I could and lightly oil them again before putting them back in service. I'd do this at the end of the season, so the bearings were protected against water during the winter.

I do this for my AC fan motor too, but with a heavier oil.

That's what I do. It's neither required or recommended, and it's a hassle, but it worked for me.

Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote