Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Roof Vent Fan

I am a new owner of a 1988, 34', Excella. It has two roof vents and they are the originals. Now for the embarassing question. Where is the switch that turns to fan on. Is it part of the lift mechanism, a thermostat, or does it have a remote switch. Do not have an electric schematic so I am working partially in the dark. Anyone out there that can give me some directions?
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
If they are the same as my 1983, the fan comes on when you open the vent above a certain point. Fully open the fan should be on. Note that my '83 only had fans in the front and back vent. The one in the middle was a static (no motor & fan) vent.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Thanks for the quick reply. The lift mechanism is stiff on both vents and is probably not reaching full open or the motors may be bad. I am going to disassemble tomorrow to determine the extent of the problem. At least now I know what to expect and this info will make troubleshooting easier. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1985 31' Excella
2010 31' Classic
Hendersonville , Tennessee
So over the last 2 weekends I installed 2 Fantastic Fans in our 85 Excella. We are very happy with the results. I started with the fan that was not working, turns out the wires were not connected. Wasps loved the old fans and very little light came in. Great look now.
NashBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have installed a Fantastic Fan (Actually Fantastic Vent to be technically correct.) in the bedroom of my Excella. See post 927 in Terry's (overlander63) "The fulltiming adventure begins" thread.

The one in the front is still working, but the long term plan is to replace it with one with the rain sensor but a white translucent lid to let more light into the living area. I also want one with the white lid for the center vent, but will go with a static vent there. I already have the lights to match the installation in the bedroom, but need to find the disposable income for the FFs.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
By the way, Mike, welcome to the forums! Always good to hear from another 34' owner.

We need pictures.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Vaughan

I have considered installing Fantastic Fans in my 84 Excella, but then I don't know how I will provide light. How do you or did you solve this problem?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Dan,

Take a look at post 927 in Terry's (overlander63) "The fulltiming adventure begins" thread. There is discussion about where I got the lights in previous posts, including number 926. It's been working well for me.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1985 31' Excella
2010 31' Classic
Hendersonville , Tennessee
I got some lights also. I have not put them in yet. The fans really add a lot of their own light though.
NashBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi Dan,

Take a look at post 927 in Terry's (overlander63) "The fulltiming adventure begins" thread. There is discussion about where I got the lights in previous posts, including number 926. It's been working well for me.
I've liked the look of those flourescents for a long while but just came across this fixture. The only thing I don't like about it is the price, plus shipping from Oz has got to be brutal.

Anyone seen it more locally?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I disassembled both vents today and the only problem seem to be a lack of TLC over the past few years. After all the wasp and dirt dobber nests were removed and the lift mechanism oiled, the vents and fans now work fine. The fans do start when the vent is fully open-this is controlled by a small micro switch. I will replace the outside plastic cowlings (if I can find them) due to warpage and missing screens but not the entire vent, fan and lights. Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1983 34' Excella
Minter , Georgia
Vaughan -

I just purchased an 83 - 34' Excella. I just discovered today that all three of the vent covers are cracked. They've been 'repaired' with tape, but I want to fix them properly.

My question is - how do I tell which replacement cover to buy? At the "Out of doors mart" site, I see 'old Jensen', 'new Jensen', 'Elixir'. Would the year model determine which one I have, or should I be able to identify it some other way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jacob
jkelley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelley73 View Post
Vaughan -

I just purchased an 83 - 34' Excella. I just discovered today that all three of the vent covers are cracked. They've been 'repaired' with tape, but I want to fix them properly.

My question is - how do I tell which replacement cover to buy? At the "Out of doors mart" site, I see 'old Jensen', 'new Jensen', 'Elixir'. Would the year model determine which one I have, or should I be able to identify it some other way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jacob
Hi Jacob,

Mine look more like the ones called "Airstream Solardome" and have the same rounded corners. Of the two I have not yet replaced with Fantastic vents, the one in front is solid whit plastic and looks like the one on the page in the link above in the first photos. The center one looks like it is original and is like the "This where this vent goes" [sic] (on edit, sorry about how that photo popup behaves) photo except the clear window in the aluminum vent is covered with a rusty piece of sheet metal. At least it doesn't leak.

If you can, I would strongly recommend at least one Fantastic Vent with the rain sensor. That's what I have in the bedroom. When I can afford it, I plan to add another in the front and a non powered one in the center. I got the one I already have from VTS and chose the opaque gray for the bedroom. In the center and front I plan on using the translucent ones where a little more light would be welcome. In the bedroom, I like being able to get it as dark as possible.

By the way, I've done business with both Out-of-Door Mart and Vintage Trailer Supply. They are both excellent. You won't go wrong with either.

Hope this helps. Congratulations on getting the 34' Excella. I really like mine.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1983 34' Excella
Minter , Georgia
Thank you, Vaughan. That helps a lot!

Jacob
jkelley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Good looking aluminium framed LED lamp.

A bit cheaper here.

http://willyfogg.com/sk/search/%2212...ace-mount-%22/

Still expensive. Probably better to retrofit what you have.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I've liked the look of those flourescents for a long while but just came across this fixture. The only thing I don't like about it is the price, plus shipping from Oz has got to be brutal.

Anyone seen it more locally?
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
yeah, that housing is beautiful, ain't she? Must be the majority of the cost though...