Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Roof opening...What goes here?

I bought a 1970 Caravanner. There is an opening in the roof that has been covered with some type of foil. I am sure this is just a DIY cover and the original item is missing. Was there another vent in between the 2 square roof vents. Pics should help show what I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Caravanner ceiling.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	163701   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Caravanner vent.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	163702  

Jeremy9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
This is what goes on the exterior. Airstream Astradome Vent Cover 1970s

Is the raised frame still on the roof. You still have the frame for the screen on the interior ceiling. The hardest parts will be the lift crank mechanisms. Hopefully when you remove that cover on the inside they will still be in place on each end. The crank handles you can still buy.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Thanks. So is this just another air vent like the 2 smaller square ones I have? I don't have either of the crank handles, but I do have one of the crank mechanisms (sadly, I think the other one is gone). Thanks for the link...was the original cover white like that?
Jeremy9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The crank handles you can likely find at Inland RV. Window supply dealers are another option as well as old hardware stores if there is one in your area. If your missing one of the lift mechanisms that may be a problem. Check Inland to see if they are still available. You should call them as they have parts not listed on the web site. If they don't have it then you need to look to salvage dealers.

Yes, the original cover was white like the one posted. It provides ventilation and light in the galley area.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #5

1970 25' Caravanner
Sorrento , Florida
Jeremy, I have a 1970 Caravanner too! I never see anyone else who has one like ours. (I presume yours is similar to mine with no bedroom, an L-shaped gaucho arrangement up front, and a big bath across the rear.) We're planning to build a booth across the front of ours and replace the flooring. We're also trying to determine if we can somehow install a "basement" a/c unit so we can remove the roof unit and streamline the top. Are you or have you made changes to yours?
Amy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
The Yes, the original cover was white like the one posted. It provides ventilation and light in the galley area.
Solar gray covers are also available.

They let in more light, than the white covers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote