Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Prairie du Chien , Wisconsin
Cool Roof Leaks-skylight-2005 Safari

I realize that roof leaks are common repairs, but I am a bit of a newbie. My 2005 Safari has just developed a leak around the skylight, and I would wonder if anyone has reference to a good article on fixing this, with a reference to steps as well as products that work. I know this is a common repair and has probably been commented on previously, but...... Thanks Kurt
KJJorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The way my dealer fixes them is to remove the skylight, clean up the old sealer and reinstall. That's how they handled one of mine during warranty. The other when it started leaking was caused by a crack due to over torquing of the fasteners. Unfortunately it was out of warranty and it was replaced on my nickel.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
When you re-install the skylight, get some flat Aluminum stock( about 1/8"X 1 1/4") at Home Depot and cut this to fit around the top ledge of the skylight. Drill and set the screws through the Aluminum. It will prevent cracks around the screw holes. The plastic on the skylight is really thin. Most of mine had cracks radiating from the screws and this is where the water is getting in. Someone at the factory should learn how to set the torque on their screw gun.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know reading threads like this really reaffirm my decision back when I ordered my unit not to go with a skylight. I've heard all too many tales like this and I was really torn as I thought the light it let in would be great, but I just didn't want the hassles as described in this thread.

I believe Andy from Inland RV had a skylight that is made of a bit thicker material. I would check with Inland to see if they are still avail. Good luck with your project.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
My fix

I used large OD (like fender) stainless steel washers under the head of stainless steel sheet metal screws when I replaced mine on the Excella. Be sure to seal the screw threads when installing to prevent wicking. Craftsman's idea would probably be better. Don't over-torque as stated. No leaks!!

WLj1943
wlj1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I just replaced a sky light on a clients trailer this past weekend. I was amazed to see how many cracks were in the cover, and how many bits were stuck to where the screws install at. I agree with the torque setting on the screw gun, and loaded each screw with sealant just like the factory.

I leak tested the trailer with my equipment after the install and had no leaks.