Old 03-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
san diego , California
Rivet gun, bucking bar, fantastic fan and dome vent questions

Hello all, quick question on replacing original fans and such; Will I need a bucking bar, and someone on the inside of the airstream when installing them?

Sent from my VS950 4G using Airstream Forums mobile app

Old 03-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
san diego , California
Also, is this an adequate rivet gun? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=380769486961
Seems like a good deal?

Old 03-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66calstream View Post
Also, is this an adequate rivet gun? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=380769486961
Seems like a good deal?

A couple of parts dealers have them as well as Harbor Freight, for a lot less money.

Andy
Old 03-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Janesville , California
Being in the middle of a build on an all-aluminum aircraft (everything I like seems to be aluminum), I'd be cautious about riveting unless you practice a lot and get some assistance. A good option might be to use "blind" rivets ("pop-rivets") if you have no experience. A "2X" rivet gun would be the best option with some good universal head rivets (maybe get a few at a local airport?). There are free videos to watch at websites like the Experimental Aircraft Association website and plenty on Youtube before you get started. In the end, it can be perfect (better than Airstream's work- although not much of a stretch) or a mess.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Don't be scared of it, I installed my new fantastic fans with screws, the screws that come with the fan are wood screws and those will not hold, I purchased some stainless steel screws...next the fan I purchased had counter sunk holes, buck riveting would bite on too little of the plastic to hold very well

There's my 2 cents for what it's worth
Old 03-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Most of the installations of Fantastic Fans I have seen used some kind of sheet metal screw to fasten the fan down. One best practice I have heard over and over is to replace the flush mount headed screws with a pan head screw, as the bevel on the flush mount screws can cause the plastic flange of the fan to crack. So unless you want to get elaborate (building new aluminum frames/reinforced mounts for the fan), you shouldn't need a rivet gun for the installation.

If you are keen to get a gun for the sake of other repairs, I bought the kit from Vintage Trailer Supply and have been very happy with it (I think it is a 3x gun). The concern I have about your ebay gun is that it is 4x, they don't mention any brand name, and their emphasis on the fact that it is a hobby tool is a little scary.

good luck!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
san diego , California
Thanks so much! I read so much about DON'T USE ANY SCREWS on your airstream, and I didn't want to do a hack job on it. But if I can use some ss pan head screws I'd be happy. I would like to get a rivet gun for other repairs, and will check out the one at VTS. Thanks again. Gotta fix them leaks, only rains once a year here in San Diego, but this year it was a bit heavier. Cheers!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile Rivet guns

Klick fast makes a very good rivet tool, comes w/noses for dif. size mandrel rivets, they are solid frame not cheepy. I have used them w/all sizes of pop rivets, olympic.Even Zip-dee uses them in there installations so they must be good. I have had mine for 38 yrs. use a lot still as good as new. This tool is only for pop rivet style not bucked rivets. Bill
Old 03-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
No need for bucked rivets in the vents, as they are screwed in. They are not seen, and they are not structural at all, so they work fine.

FYI- I bought my 3x rivet gun from Harbor Freight for about $55 with a coupon. I'm not sure they still have it, I think last I checked it did not show up on a search. The gun works fantastic, after I practiced alot to keep from putting smiley's on every rivet.... (you'll find out) VTS has the bucking bar and replica rivets to match. Get the long ones, and a rivet cutter so you can cut to any length.

To pull out the old vents, you'll need:
  • Spring loaded center punch to hit the head of all the rivets you'll be drilling out
  • 1/8" drill bits to drill out all the rivets
  • Plastic razor blades to clean up the old vulkem
  • Mineral spirits will help soften the old vulkem.

To install the new vent:
  • Clean and prepare the old opening.
  • Cut the hole to square 14". (I used blue painters tape to square up the corners)
  • Align the new vent and mark/ drill new screw holes. (NOTE be sure the vent is oriented the way you want it!!! dont ask me how I know )
  • Pull the vent out and line the edge of the flange with butyl tape.
  • Gently lay the vent in place and fill all the screw holes with vulkem, then begin installing the screws gently working your way around several times. Do not overtighten- there is no need to be tight- only snug after several rounds. The butyl will slowly smoosh.
  • Use Plastic razor and mineral spirits to cut off the excess butyl.
  • Use blue painters tape make 1/4' gap for vulkem bead all the way around the new vent.
  • Apply vulkem to seal around the perimeter and on top of the screws.
  • Remove painters tape.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Oh, and FWIW, I have Maxxfan Deluxe and Fantastic Fans in mine. I have to say I LOVE the Maxxfans so much more than the FF. The FF is so much more flimsy and cheap feeling. Plus the MFD has a nice sleak vent cover that can stay open- even in the rain.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Why not use screws? I installed mine using pan head stainless steel screws with an appropriate sized SS flat washer under the screw head to distribute the force over a bigger area. I did it that way on the recommendations found here on the forum by a couple of commercial guys who had installed many many FF's. The screws that come with the fan tended to crack the flange according to many comments posted here. If you rivet you will have a tough time not getting them too tight and possibly cracking the flange. Also, I did not use the foam gasket, only a good bead of Vulkem under the flange and dab on each screw head (which hides them) After 4 years no problem. Another reason to use screws instead of rivets is that someday you may need to remove it and screws will make that task much easier. I highly recommend the FF with the rain sensor, well worth the small extra cost. I got mine from Vintage Trailer Supply because they offered a gray lid to match the aluminum on my older vents and curved inside bezels that match the curve in the inside of the Airstream.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
san diego , California
Thanks so much for the info and detailed instructions! I will follow them. I have been watching my harbor freight mailers and haven't seen a rivet gun, Maybe I'll look on their site. I've had good luck with the tools I've purchased there.