Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
reverse switch on Fantastic Vent

Good day all,

In searching the forums, I've come to realize that the reason my two fantastic vents in my '06 bambi do not reverse is because Airstream specs (for RVIA standards) them that way. What a bummer. I can see why the sleeping compartment fan would not reverse with proximity to the poop-pipe, but why spec no-reverse for the front vent? I wouldn't think that the front vent would pull sewer gasses in, from it's position.

I'm not positive which model number I have (checking today), but both fans have a on/off, rain sensor, thermostat, and hatch open/closed switch. I beleive that is the 6000RBTA (without the reverse obviously).

I did however call Fantastic Vent this morning and the tech support lady said I can simply replace the on/off swith with a new switch that allows a motor reverse. 24 bucks for two of them. Not too bad.

Is this an easy install? She certainly thought it was a straight forward one? Anyone done it?

thanks,
b.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I knew that the fan closest to the vent stack didn't reverse (my rear vent will not), but my front fan does. Could this possibly be a factory installation error?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I knew that the fan closest to the vent stack didn't reverse (my rear vent will not), but my front fan does. Could this possibly be a factory installation error?

Jack
certainly possible, both of them seem to go in the same direction. Perhaps Airstream is just installing the one-way fans as standard in the newer models? Conspiracy!

b.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's no error. Both my front and back have no reverse either.

I seem to recall one of two truths when we talked about this back during the 2004 model year run. There was either a change in production, I seem to recall (don't quote me on this) that the factory was abandoning the reverse feature across the board, or just on the non Classic lines. I believe the first to be true and a good test of it would be to ask a post 2004 model year Airstreamer if they have a reverse feature anywhere. The answer will be either no not at all or yes, I have a Classic and it's got it in front. I haven't seen a Bambi/Safari with the reverse feature and the factory refused my request for one on a 12/03 production month. I believe whatever change took place, happened between Jack's build month and mine in 2003 (2004 model year)-- about a 3-4 month window.

If you call the folks at Fantastic Vent, they will sell or send you the kit to make it a reversable fan, however, I agree that you might not want to install the kit near the tank vent pipes.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
it is an RVIA thing

Our 03 22' CCD had the wonderful bi-directional fans but subsequent trailers (04 & 06) have not. We were told in 04 that they were no longer available because of an RV industry (safety?) ruling. I forget the exact reason. I'm pretty sure we couldn't even get an aftermarket or dealer installed reversing fan but I would check with Fantastic Fan.
-KL
Old 06-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The only thing I can think of was the fact of not wanting to suck in sewer gas. I can see RVIA maybe being interested in that.

What's interesting is that I never ran the front fan in reverse until this year. On a trailer that has been closed up that has baked in the sun, the fan blowing in the intake mode really provides a faster comfort level to the occupants than running in exhaust mode.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Craftsman

The newer Airstreams don't have reverse in either front or rear Fantastic Fans. I was told by sales at Colonial Airstream that it does have something to do with an industry saftey ruling.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Big brother protecting us again! Aside from noxious odors, I can't imagine any gases emitted from a 35 gal holding tank in sufficient quantity to be harmful. I think that most of us will be able to ascertain that the vent fan is the culprit - and either reverse the flow (---which I think is a terrific option) or close the vents. With both fans fixed to exhaust only, your only option is to open a lower window. A hidden problem is that if you accidentally create a slight negative pressure with both fans running - and without adequate window openings - you're going to get a delightful whiff from the holding tank when you flush the toilet! This is the same problem that exists with the f--t fan in the bathroom if you forget to shut it off before flushing - and the trailer is closed up tight!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Another great example of some product improved beyond all utility-or nearly. At least, for now, owners can still modify their own machines! Fortunately, in this case you need only buy replacement switches. It is nice feature and worth the effort.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Fantastic Fan sent me one of the reversing switches and my son installed it for me several months ago in my front fan in the living room area. I talked with them on the phone, describing both my fans to them, and as I recall they said it wouldn't be practical to switch my bedroom fan.

My son talked to the guy at Fantastic Fan on his cell phone, as he was doing the install, and the guy walked him through how to do it. It was a simple process for my son, but it would have been beyond my simple capabilities. It involved cutting and rerouting a couple of the wires - not too involved, but not something I would have done on my own. It was about a 5 minute job. (I held the screw driver!)

I did install 2 MaxxAir roof vent covers on my own though -- the large sized ones designed for high speed fans. The combination of both of these things - the reversing switch and the vent covers - was one of the better additions to our trailer we've done this year.

John
Old 06-28-2006, 04:26 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Our 03 22' CCD had the wonderful bi-directional fans but subsequent trailers (04 & 06) have not. We were told in 04 that they were no longer available because of an RV industry (safety?) ruling. I forget the exact reason. I'm pretty sure we couldn't even get an aftermarket or dealer installed reversing fan but I would check with Fantastic Fan.
-KL
Fantastic Fan installed a reversing fan in the rear of our Overlander, with no argument. They did tell me that under certain conditions, it could pull black tank gases into the coach, and if I smelled something bad, to reverse the fan. I guess they decided I was smart enough to not keep inhaling sewer gas.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
I may have to give Fantastic Vent a call I would love to get a reversing fan mod installed in the front. It is so cool (pun intended) to have one pull in the air while the other one is pushing it out. You can keep the gatos happy inside all day without running the air or opening windows.
-Ken
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just my $.02 here, but my 19CCD came with a front Fantastic fan and a rear dead vent. If one were to open the rear vent and operate the front fan on exhaust, it pulls in a great deal of air from the dead vent........and possibly tank fumes as well, just like the scenarios described above.

I have changed BOTH of these to bi-directional MaxxAir fans and I can have a push-pull in either direction.........AND I just used both in the pouring rain while overnighting at a rest stop outside Tallahassee, FL on the way to NM and OR. NOT A DROP inside!!

I love these fans!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Just my $.02 here, but my 19CCD came with a front Fantastic fan and a rear dead vent. If one were to open the rear vent and operate the front fan on exhaust, it pulls in a great deal of air from the dead vent........and possibly tank fumes as well, just like the scenarios described above.

I have changed BOTH of these to bi-directional MaxxAir fans and I can have a push-pull in either direction.........AND I just used both in the pouring rain while overnighting at a rest stop outside Tallahassee, FL on the way to NM and OR. NOT A DROP inside!!

I love these fans!!!!
I wonder why Airstream doesn't offer the MaxxAir fans in lieu of Fantastic Fans? It seems to me that they are caught in a time warp with Fantastic Fans.

One of the reasons we added covers to our fans was so we could do exactly what you did at that rest stop. Another reason was to be able to run our fans in the strong afternoon winds that we often experience here in the northwest in the summer that forced us to close the Fantastic Fan for fear the cover would blow off before we added the MaxxAir vent covers -- I know that the wind never blows in Hood River, Or though.

John
Old 06-29-2006, 08:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Fanatastic Vent tech support reply to my reverse question

Here is what they told me:

"Hi Ken,
If you have a on/off rocker switch in the face of fan you can order a reverse switch to put in place of on/off switch..."

I will be following up with a warranty question (seeing that I'm not a factory authorized tech) but it sounds easy.
-KL
Old 06-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
I can't see it being a warranty issue unless you were to put a reverse on the rear fan.

The lady at Fantastic mentioned the install should be straighforward and they include a wiring diagram with the parts package that they send out. I ordered two and it was 24 bucks. Cheap experiment I'd say.

b.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
FYI - Fantastic Vent confirmed it is not a warranty problem for a DIY swap of the switch.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 PM   #18
_

. , .
hello fantastic fan fanatics......

who knows why......
rvia or just cost savings.....
ff rep acted surprised when i noted that my front ff had no reverse...
he told me other makers still use them....
'perhaps a/s was saving a buck'........
gases arent an issue at the front....
and if front is set to exhaust.....
and rear open or bath open....
fumes can still be sucked in....
without a 3 way function....

anyway
the ff fan tech followed my back to the trailer....
here at the international.....
and installed the 3 way switch in place of the on/off....
took 10 minutes......
and 30$......
warranty intact.....
very nice guys....
they also did a complete inspection of both fans, and wall switches.
and detailed me on the correct functions

good job fantastic fan........ .....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
changed them today

I received my switches from Fantastic Vent today. Inside the package, there was 2 reverse switches and a wiring diagram of both the 6000BTA (airstream stock) and the 6000RBTA (reversible).

I took the front cabin fan apart and had it back together in about 30 minutes.

It works perfectly and really helps the airflow in the trailer. I haven't bothered to install the reverse switch in the rear of the trailer as I don't see us wanting to do anything other than venting out from that area. Pulling in at the front of the cabin, venting out the rear.

The only difficult part only because I had to go onto the roof was re-routing the red motor wire to the reverse switch. Otherwise, very easy and satfisying Twinkering today.

cheers,
brad.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
I wonder why Airstream doesn't offer the MaxxAir fans in lieu of Fantastic Fans? It seems to me that they are caught in a time warp with Fantastic Fans.

One of the reasons we added covers to our fans was so we could do exactly what you did at that rest stop. Another reason was to be able to run our fans in the strong afternoon winds that we often experience here in the northwest in the summer that forced us to close the Fantastic Fan for fear the cover would blow off before we added the MaxxAir vent covers -- I know that the wind never blows in Hood River, Or though.

John
Not much wind here in Hood River........'been blowing 20-30 for over a week now. Still waiting for it to get REALLY WINDY!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote