Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2007, 10:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H
Andy,
Plexiglass is the trade name for Acrylic and although you point out that your vent lid is not plexiglass, it still acts like plexiglass when it is drilled and every installer needs to do this. I'm sure a number of people on this forum have drilled into these vents & had "issues". Just ask? We have no fear of quality issues of our products because we actually use them, just like Wally did, and if & when they fail, we figure out what went wrong & fix it, so the next guy doesn't have the same issue.
As far as I know, you are correct, you may have a sale for as long as you like, however from a consumers point of view, a perpetual sale is considered the normal price so there is no actual saving.
The trapped air space is a great idea & works well as an insulator, however having that space in the area where lifters attach is a poor design feature, in my opinion.
Actually, fiberglass can pass virtually as much light as any clear plastic sheet. Surfboards have been made for years with clear gelcoat, resin & of course, clear glass fibers, layed up onto shaped foam blocks. Check the graphics on any surfboard, they can be seen perfectly through any number of fiberglass lay-ups. We did not choose to build our Astradomes with these materials because that was not the intention or look of the original astradome. It is technically possible though, however it would be at a higher material cost.
62Overlander, We have looked into reproducing a correct ladeau lifter that would open the vent the same amount as the originals and not require multiple twists of the knob, however we have not taken this project to the production stage yet.............but stay tuned. Remember, "make no changes, only improvements". The next owner will thank you for it!
Sorry guys, this all comes from over 20 years working in the Industrial Design field.
Thanks again,
Colin

PS Mark, sorry to hear that your Astradome "took flight", however it sounds like you made out OK & didn't have to purchase another one. Granted, it would have put a few more dollars in my pocket if you had, but it makes me feel much better knowing that you're happy with our product.

PSS 63air, How did your two covers from Inland fail?
We thank you for the additional publicity of our products.

After selling several thousand vent covers, we have "yet" to receive any phone calls about them cracking.

Interesting enough, we have received calls about some of the other parts we have, usually because they needed addition installation instructions, but "never" about our vent covers.

We know and understand that all DIY folks are interested in saving money, but sometimes their mechanical abilities could use some upgrading.

True, fiberglass can and does pass light, "brown light."

We all have seen solar gray screens to reduce the glare from a computer screen, but we are not aware that any fiberglass screens being available for the same purpose.

We also want to thank you for having a few imitations of our parts, which we take as the most sincerest form of flattery.

And finally, attacking the manner in which we chose to do business, again, we give thanks to you for the additional publicity and flattery. It has worked very successfully for us for many years, to the degreee that we are Airstreams # 1 parts dealer in the world.

Not too bad, we think.

Even other dealers purchase many parts from us, including the Airstream factory, who by the way, buys our vent covers.

I pioneered the refurbishing of Airstream products back in 1966, and have made available many parts that were no longer available since that time.

That was the reason that Wall Street Journal did a front page article on us, back in December 11th, 1996.

Other news media have also recognized our work and have broadcast or printed those facts.

Having been in People Magazine, Associated Press, RV Business, Trailer Life, CNBC News, Entertainment Tonight and Cinematic Reports in Japan, has many merits that came from dedicated hard work for many many years, doing the impossible or doing what some said "can't be done."

Of course, some people asked "why you, Andy."

That answer is obvious.

We understand, that since "we pioneered the way" for many things related to Airstream, it was only natural that others would jump on the band wagon.

Again, what a fantastic form of flattery. And of course, their products are better than ours, or at least that is their opinion, that they certainly are welcome to.

Attempting and satisfactorily completing the worlds first "Airstream Xtreme Makeover," created many positive results, but not without causing a few hard feelings because we did not reveal some of the facts, such as costs to those individuals.

We enjoy what we do, and have more programs underway for additional parts and/or devices.

How about a device, proven by many tests, with 18 patents, that applies your trailer brakes faster than you can, in the event of a sway or loss of control?? Stay tuned for that item.

Glass houses are nice, as long as the occupant doesn't throw rocks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:59 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Just speaking for myself here... you both need to chill out... your acting like a bunch of Bouncer owners not Airstream owners. I do not know either of you personally, but for some reason I have developed a great deal of respect for both of you. Both of you supply customers what they want... two differrent choices... people buy what they think is best for them... in time the best product prevails. It's just like Airstream, at one time there was 400 competitors... where are they now? toast...
In my house we settle things with a healthy game of Rockem Sockem Robots... why don't you two come one over to my house and we'll settle this. Common, your Airstream owners, not Prowler owners... you are supposed to a kinder, gentler bunch.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Astrodome

Safari 64
I used the VTS product as it is of heavier contruction materials and then built a hatch frame device to convert it into a Wally hatch. This lets in light and much more air.
gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	astrodome 001 - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	327
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	44189   Click image for larger version

Name:	astrodome.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	44190  

Name:	astrodome 001 - Copy (3).jpg
Views:	247
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	44191  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Thanks, for the help

Safari62,
Thanks for the photos. I like your hatch idea.

Attached is a photo of mine from inside, high noon, no shade or shadows, looks dingy. Apparently looks that way due to manufacturing process. I understand it, just don’t like the look.

It may be sturdier, and does looks great from outside.
It may be engineered nice, not a suitable replacement for MY original part.
I’m just not into making my Airstream look good outside just for others to admire or concerned what the next owner may appreciate. I’m not selling. Shiniest trailer wins, good on them.
Me, a selfish user, guilty.

It’s simply not what I wanted as replacement for my original, which let passive light in to help light interior and worked fine but the outside edges were cracking so I replaced it as preventive measure.

May reinstall original.
May build new Lexan cover. May try Andy's and compare.

I need all the “passive” daylight I can get. Dreary doesn’t work in Alaska.

Simply not satisfied, waited too long to install it after purchase and didn’t check it out in bright daylight before installing. Probably couldn’t return it because I drilled it for installation.
My mistakes. My $180 flushed. Oh well, moving on. Lessons learned.

Thanks for all the help. Thanks for the info and debate on products. Informative and insightfull. Chill guys. New subject.

Still no email response from VTS. Perhaps gone, perhaps email down. Stuff happens. I didn’t try to call, I work during the day too.

In business:
Good will and return business, like a good name, is built by many acts and lost by one.
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64
Safari62,
Thanks for the photos. I like your hatch idea.

Attached is a photo of mine from inside, high noon, no shade or shadows, looks dingy. Apparently looks that way due to manufacturing process. I understand it, just don’t like the look.

It may be sturdier, and does looks great from outside.
It may be engineered nice, not a suitable replacement for MY original part.
I’m just not into making my Airstream look good outside just for others to admire or concerned what the next owner may appreciate. I’m not selling. Shiniest trailer wins, good on them.
Me, a selfish user, guilty.

It’s simply not what I wanted as replacement for my original, which let passive light in to help light interior and worked fine but the outside edges were cracking so I replaced it as preventive measure.

May reinstall original.
May build new Lexan cover. May try Andy's and compare.

I need all the “passive” daylight I can get. Dreary doesn’t work in Alaska.

Simply not satisfied, waited too long to install it after purchase and didn’t check it out in bright daylight before installing. Probably couldn’t return it because I drilled it for installation.
My mistakes. My $180 flushed. Oh well, moving on. Lessons learned.

Thanks for all the help. Thanks for the info and debate on products. Informative and insightfull. Chill guys. New subject.

Still no email response from VTS. Perhaps gone, perhaps email down. Stuff happens. I didn’t try to call, I work during the day too.

In business:
Good will and return business, like a good name, is built by many acts and lost by one.
Please check your PM.

Andy
Old 09-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I must say I've been doing this vintage thing a long time - I've seen both and they both work well - its a matter of preference. Having said that I did buy the one from Vintage Trailer and I too was a bit disappointed because it does not let light in. I have a good friend (on this board) who bought the Inland product and I think its cool you can look up at the sky and it does let a lot of light in. I'm not saying I would not purchase the fiberglass one again, to me it just comes down to preference and in my case overall, I did like the Vintage Trailer supply one better.

As far as attachment - I tried to use screws and nylocks, but the head of the screw would not fit in the hinge, so I went with large rivets - so far its still on there.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Superior Products

When I buy a replacement roof vent, my main concerns are for it to seal out the rain, for it not to "whistle" when the wind blows. If I want more light to enter, I will need to open it. Light is not my concern.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Light WAS my concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
...Light is not my concern.
I'm not particularly impressed with Inland's trapped air bubble in their offering because it might give problems later. Check out the "Vista view" threads in the way water is trapped between two panes of material.

That said, I wanted light to enter my Airstream in that area. Steve was advertising what I needed but did not yet stock a new solardome when I needed it. Andy won because I needed a new solardome after hail damage. I was thrilled with the amount of light the new solardome let in compared to the old.

After looking at safari62's pictures, I am now more than happy with what I went with.

Attached are some pictures from a few minutes ago. One shows the amount of light coming in today, and the other shows today's dismal weather.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inside.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	44264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	44265  

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #29
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I must say I've been doing this vintage thing a long time - I've seen both and they both work well - its a matter of preference. Having said that I did buy the one from Vintage Trailer and I too was a bit disappointed because it does not let light in. I have a good friend (on this board) who bought the Inland product and I think its cool you can look up at the sky and it does let a lot of light in. I'm not saying I would not purchase the fiberglass one again, to me it just comes down to preference and in my case overall, I did like the Vintage Trailer supply one better.

As far as attachment - I tried to use screws and nylocks, but the head of the screw would not fit in the hinge, so I went with large rivets - so far its still on there.

Ken J.
Ken, you talking about me again?
I did indeed buy the vent cover from InlandRV. I chose it because I like the idea of additional insulation and because it matches the contour and color of my Fantastic vent covers to a T.
I installed it with the supplied rivets, and YES, you have to use a new or sharp drill, and use common sense to install it. It looks fantastic on my trailer, and gets many positive comments from folks that are inside the trailer. The light it gives is pleasant. In 3 years of use, I have not had a single problem with it, or the Inland lifters that I bought to use with the vent lid.
I did see fiberglass lids on other vintage units and was always glad that I did not get one of those, mostly due to the dingy look of the light they make inside the trailer.
I don't care if the inland vent cover breaks sooner than the fiberglass. I enjoy the looks and function of it so much more. This from a satisfied consumer.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
...I installed it with the supplied rivets, ....
When did you get yours? Mine did not come with rivets. I was happy that it came with a new gasket.

I hope I chose wisely in the way mine is fastened.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #31
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
When did you get yours? Mine did not come with rivets. I was happy that it came with a new gasket.

I hope I chose wisely in the way mine is fastened.

Tom
Tom, I got mine approximately 3 yrs. ago. Andy gave me 6 aluminum rivets and a length of foam gasket with the purchase.
I did not mail order it, but rather pick it up from his shop in Corona, CA. It is about 15mls from my office. I can't say for sure that he supplies the rivets with each order. Maybe I just got lucky, but the fact remains that it has worked very well for me.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yup that was you I was talking about - the amount of light it lets in Uwe's trailer really brightens up the interior + you can see that stars at night.

I might add that in his installation, he just pop riveted the interior panel of the astrodome - if that makes sense - that way the rivets do not go through to the outside of the dome - very slick install.....

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
63 air for Collin

Collin , I have some previous post that detail the issue, but the cracking occured at the attachment points.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1970 25' Tradewind
1989 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
cromwell , Kentucky
Hello,
I am new here and wanted to ask if anyone had installed one of the astrodomes that were selling on e-bay. I know this question was asked before, but it seemed to have gotten in the shuffle. I purchased the one from e-bay and it seems to very nice. the astrodome is not completely translucent but will work fine for me. if any one has installed one I would like to see pictures. if not, I will take pictures when i install mine.
Don Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boyd
Hello,
I am new here and wanted to ask if anyone had installed one of the astrodomes that were selling on e-bay. I know this question was asked before, but it seemed to have gotten in the shuffle. I purchased the one from e-bay and it seems to very nice. the astrodome is not completely translucent but will work fine for me. if any one has installed one I would like to see pictures. if not, I will take pictures when i install mine.
Airstream switched to white plastic solardomes and astrodomes, over 30 years ago.

Those vent covers have two purposes.

One, when opened, to allow some ventilation.

Two, to let some comfortable light in, so that you can see inside the trailer during the day, without having to turn some lights on.

We are the only company that also makes them in "solar gray," for an Airstream. The solar gray lets in more light, than the milk white versions, but with no more UV.

Usually, fiberglass vent covers don't let any light in, but if they do, then it's brown.

Andy