Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Replacing Solardome on 1964 Overlander

I am currently trying to replace the solardome on my 1964 Overlander with one that I obtained from Vintage Trailering. Does anyone have a link to step by step instructions to do this. I am currently stuck as to how to remove the interior handles to even remove the screen. Also, the front lift does not have even half the vertical height of the rear lift when fully opened. Any suggestions? Also can anyone recommend gasketing material to make it air tight when closed?
Thanks.
64Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Replacing Solardome on 1964 Overlander

Greetings 64Overlander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Overlander View Post
I am currently trying to replace the solardome on my 1964 Overlander with one that I obtained from Vintage Trailering. Does anyone have a link to step by step instructions to do this. I am currently stuck as to how to remove the interior handles to even remove the screen. Also, the front lift does not have even half the vertical height of the rear lift when fully opened. Any suggestions? Also can anyone recommend gasketing material to make it air tight when closed?
Thanks.
Among my bookmarks for solardome information, I had the following bookmarked as having installation instructions. Hope this helps.

Solardome

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

P.S.: The LaDue lift handles on my solardome were a problems as well -- so I went with the reproductions that are/were available from Inland RV. The reproductions are still performing well on my coach some six years later.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
FAYETTEVILLE , North Carolina
64 Safari Solardome

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Nick/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]I installed the Astradome from Inland RV as well as new operators. The operators not only look better than the original, but also worked alot better. The operators on mine are attached to the dome using rivets. i recommend when drilling into the dome for the rivet holes to take your time and do a fraction at a time to clean out the plastic removed from the drill bit. Otherwise there will be little threads of plastic in the Astradome that you can't really see, but are annoyiing if you know they are there.

To attach the operators to the window I drilled and tapped the holes and use little machine screws to hold them in.

As for the gasket, the one included with the dome was like a spongey material. It isn't air tight, but its pretty close and protects the dome from the flange. The dome is held down pretty tight and works really well. Below is a picture of my dome and a picture from Inland RV of the lifters that I used.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3484.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	81735   Click image for larger version

Name:	83792-ventoper.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	81736  

wiegand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
okay just for the record Inland sells the solar-dome. Vintage Trailer Supply sells an astrodome and it is an exact reproduction of the original astrodome. The solar-dome lets in light, but the astrodome is for ventilation only. The original la due lifters look much better than the knock offs in my opinion. Soak them in WD40 overnight and they will work perfectly. The handle is held on by a pop bearing and pulls right off the screen then slides out. The Astrodome has a stainless plate in the fiberglass and requires a sharp quality bit to drill the new rivet holes. Call VTS and ask for install instructions. They will hook you up.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Also, the front lift does not have even half the vertical height of the rear lift when fully opened. Any suggestions?
My '64 Safari does this as well, yet the lifts seem to be open all the way. Is it possible that this was done by design?

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
okay just for the record Inland sells the solar-dome. Vintage Trailer Supply sells an astrodome and it is an exact reproduction of the original astrodome. The solar-dome lets in light, but the astrodome is for ventilation only. The original la due lifters look much better than the knock offs in my opinion. Soak them in WD40 overnight and they will work perfectly. The handle is held on by a pop bearing and pulls right off the screen then slides out. The Astrodome has a stainless plate in the fiberglass and requires a sharp quality bit to drill the new rivet holes. Call VTS and ask for install instructions. They will hook you up.

Solardomes are square, 14" x 14".

Astrodomes are rectangular, 14" x 26".

Both are available with a "thermal barrier," a second plate fused to a domed cover.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
La Due lifter Issue for Astrodome

Upon further examination the front lifter for the astrodome the central "dowel"/cylinder does not elevate initially, only the outer spiral element goes up and down. I have sprayed this with WD-40 and have tried to pry it up with a screw driver but no luck. Any ideas on how to fix this? It looks like the lifter is riveted on to the "holder' which in turn is directly attached to the frame. I guess if you want to remove the lift I am back to drilling out rivets?
Thanks for the input.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Upon further examination the front lifter for the astrodome the central "dowel"/cylinder does not elevate initially, only the outer spiral element goes up and down. I have sprayed this with WD-40 and have tried to pry it up with a screw driver but no luck. Any ideas on how to fix this? It looks like the lifter is riveted on to the "holder' which in turn is directly attached to the frame. I guess if you want to remove the lift I am back to drilling out rivets?
Thanks for the input.
You can try soaking it in WD-40 for a few days.

Spraying it sometimes helps, but if that doesn't do it, then soaking is all you can do.

The aluminum innards have corroded and fused themselves together.

That old design has a bad habit of opening up when traveling. Some owners tie a bungee cord between the 2 operators.

Andy

Andy

If that
Old 06-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Elephant Butte , New Mexico
astrodome/solardome lifter

Hey Andy, I thought you were off to Hawaii. I need to order one of the lifters, however the other lifter is just missing the handle or knob, or whatever it might be called. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
jhohnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Also, I was wondering what is the least espensive tool one might use to drill out rivets and replace with new. I was told a new hold just a tad larger needed to be drilled into the original rivet to remove it. Is this correct? I'm trying to understand all of this. Most of it works in my head, but lots is confusing. Thanks again
Old 06-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
typo not duh! "expensive"
Old 06-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Soaking LaDue lifters

To soak these lifters Do you mean drill out the rivets and completely remove it and if so what size rivets do you use to put it back in place?
Thank you.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
To soak these lifters Do you mean drill out the rivets and completely remove it and if so what size rivets do you use to put it back in place?
Thank you.
1/8 inch.

Andy
Old 06-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Thank you.
64Overlander,

You shouldn't need to drill out the rivets to remove the lifters. If you slip a screwdriver or putty knife between the lower pivot point of the lifter and the bracket, you can take the lifters and the entire solardome/astradome out. I made the mistake of drilling out the rivets holding the entire bracket for one of my lifters before I carefully read the directions available on vintage trailer supply's website. Once you have the solardome/astradome out with the lifters, you will need to drill out the rivets holding the top of the lifter asembly to the old soardome/astradome before you can drop the lifter in a bucket of WD40 or some other cleaner. I've been working on my six lifters trying to get them operable for several weeks and so far I've only managed to get two of teh six functioning. I bougth two of the replacements from Andy and they are very well made and work as a direct replacement. The also do not have the problem of simply loosening in the wind like the old versions. However, I agree with Frank that the originals are better looking. Plus, when the originals are working correctly, they provide twice the lift height as the replacements.
Norm
Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
I found getting the little pin out to be the most difficult part of removing the lifters. After attempting a knife, small screwdriver and other thin tools that a set of side cutters actually did the best job. After a good cleaning and greasing they work as good as new.

63Silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Removing lifters on solardome

Is there a pin connecting the lifter to the pivoting mounting bracket and if so do you have a picture of this? I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the lifter out of its holding bracket?
Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
64 Overlander. Here are a couple pics I took when I pulled mine apart. Just leave the bracket riveted to the vent frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	82760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	82761  

Old 06-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Removing corrision from lifters

I have finally removed the lifters. I left them in the bracket where it pivots up and down and then drilled out the rivets attaching the bracket and lifter to the frame of the vent. The lifters currently do not go up and down and appear "stuck". They are currently being soaked in WD-40, however if this does not work does anyone know of an alternative? They seem pretty "frozen", one even had a mud dobbers nest in it.
I noticed the rivets I drilled out to remove the lifter and bracket had a smooth domed top. Does anyone know of a rivet to approximate this?

Thank you for the input.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
LaDue Lifters Frozen

I tried soaking the LaDue lifters in WD 40 for 3-4 days with no success. Is there anything else out there that might work? Has anyone used Calcium-Lime-Rust remover on these? I hate to lose these plus I need to get the rear vent and astrodome replaced ASAP. I'm trying to stay original if possible. There is a rivet on the side of the lifter near the top has anyone drilled this out and pulled these apart and then put them together again successfully? Is there some sort of schematic available to look at these? I take it LaDue no longer manufactures these? If not does anyone have 3 lifters they might be willing to part with?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear Vent Opening.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	83117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original lifter.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	83118  

Name:	Interior View of lifter.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	83119  
Old 06-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
. . . There is a rivet on the side of the lifter near the top has anyone drilled this out and pulled these apart and then put them together again successfully? Is there some sort of schematic available to look at these? . . . .Thanks
Hi 64 Overlander:

It is a relatively soft rivet. Don't drill it out of the housing, as you will have to use it again (and put it back in) during reassembly. Instead, take a sharp pointed tool like a knife or sharpened small blade screwdriver and pry that soft rivet out by getting under and lifting up on its edges as you go around the top edge of the rivet while flooding it with liquid penetrant or lubricant to make it come out easier. It's a "plug" that makes the lifter work.

Instead of WD40, use a penetrating liquid. I like Kroil (KanoLabs.com), which helped me get most lifters apart after a while of soaking (but there is still one that Kroil has not yet loosened up). Patience and being gentle yet firm is the key here. You also might try CLR and let us know whether it works (I have not yet tried it). It's aluminum corrosion gumming up the works inside the lifter.

The bottom of the lifter "snaps" into the two bottom arms of the mounting bracket, so if you gently pry the two bottom bracket arms apart, the lifter should just fall out.

Good luck, and be patient.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, 1964 overlander