Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Repairing Vista Windows 1976 Globetrotter

Greetings fellow Airstreamers,

After looking at my clouded skylights for the second season, I couldn't take it anymore. I thought I'd be replacing them. Mine is the wonderful design where the only way to get to the Vista windows is by drilling out the rivets and removing it from the top. It didn't take too long and I'm glad I did because now I can clean and reseal it with fresh Vulcum when I put them back in.

I read some threads how the new Vista windows are single pane - I also read some threads where the bottom piece of glass or acrylic was removed and the outer and tempered glass replaced after being cleaned up. A cost efficient solution for sure - getting replacement insulated and curved glass would have been very pricey.

Here's my question - being a former glazier at one time in my life . . . is it safe to use clear silicone as a makeshift gasket for reinstalling the glass in the aluminum frame it came out of? Otherwise, I can try and find some vinyl to run around the glass that will fit inside the channel. The glass seems to be 1/8" tempered.

I'm so looking forward to getting them back in and having a nice clear view of the sky!

Thanks much,

Ken Tuvman in MN
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote