Old 02-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Lexan is the GE brand name for polycarbonate. Ge makes UV resistant Lexan. Polycarbonate is not naturally UV resistant but GE adds an additive to it, so it UV resistant material is. The additive is thoughout the sheet so it does not make any differance which side you put up. Plexaglas was Rohnman & Haas tradename for arcylic. Duponts tradename is Lucite. They are both UV resistant naturally. The cracks that develop are caused by the fact that normal acrylics have poor elongation and you are improperly stressing them when you pop rivet them. If you would use shoulder screws with rubber or RTV gaskets, there would be no problem. Lexan costs more and is more impact resistant and easier to use, so that would be my suggestion. Make sure you get sheet marked as being UV resistant. Polycarbonate has poor chemical resistance to many chemicals so you should only use mild soap and water to clean it.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Lexan vs plexiglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Plexiglass should never be used in the sun.

It will crack and craze in 2-3 months.

Andy
I used thin plexiglass and got some cracks from the pressure of the rivets. I didn't use any padding or foam. I sealed the cracks with silicone and they lasted a few years but are ready to replace again. Lexan is next.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Lexan is GE's trade name for polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is not naturally UV resistant. GE adds an additive to make it UV resistant. It is thoughout the plastic so it does not matter which side is up. GE also sells an non-UV resistant Lexan. Make sure you buy the one that is marked UV resistant. Polycarbonate is very impact resistant but is sensitive to many chemicals which cause it to stress crack. Do not clean it with anything except mild soap and water. Plexiglass was Rohman & Haas tradename for acrylic. Dupont's trade name for the same material is Lucite. Both are naturally UV resistant and have been used in greenhouses for thirty years. The cracks that develop when you pop rivet them to aluminum is caused by the stress of the pop rivets and the fact that acrylic has poor elongation and impact resistance. If you would use loose holes and shoulder screws to attact it, you would have no problems. I used Lexan to fix my vents.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #18
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Ken,
I hope you didn't get that new shop of yours dirty when you fixed the vents....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
It Was Terrible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Ken,
I hope you didn't get that new shop of yours dirty when you fixed the vents....
...Sawdust and Lexan remnants everywhere.

Just to Clarify:
Lexan is GE's brand name for polycarbonate. It has a UV resistant film that must face toward the sunlight to block the UV rays and keep them from damaging the Lexan sheets.

GE also makes Plexiglass acrylic sheets, which GE states will not hold up to UV.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Repairing or Replacing Roof Vents

Since I don't know how to link this to the current question on the topic from DougZ, here's the thread from 4 years ago. You will find three more threads on the topic when you scroll to the bottom of this page.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote