Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Removing the stove vent fan in an Excella

I needed to clean and lubricate the stove vent fan in our Excella. The fan was making unhappy sounds after running for anything over 15 minutes. Removal seemed to require the undoing of two setscrews holding the securing bracket to the trailer. The left hand setscrew is close to the woodwork of the shelf, prohibiting the use of even a short screwdriver or a #2 cross-point fitting in a ratchet handle. I don't possess a cranked screwdriver. I considered removing all or part of the surrounding overhead cupboards, but the removal of large rivets and the hour of work ruled this out as a regular item of maintenance. Removal from the outside required disconnecting a cable with its end turned over to secure it, as well as the awkward setscrew. This was unappealing. I eventually drilled a quarter inch hole in the shelf below the setscrew, just behind the grille intake over the stove. The hole was drilled at an angle to the vertical, so as to allow the insertion of a cross-point screwdriver through the hole. The hole is inconspicuous. I can now remove the fan motor inwards in two minutes for servicing and oiling. The fan spindle had a large quantity of glass fibers from the pink insulation wrapped round it. This was invisible until I removed the motor, which now performs quietly. (I have fitted a 3-speed switch to control the noise). I am inordinately pleased with this solution. What a simple soul I am! Perhaps there is one other soul out there that this might help. Nick