Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Hillbilly Hagrid
1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Range hood exhaust fan

I have a 1973 29FT Ambassador Land Yacht with the "Magic Chef" kitchen.....I have searched everywhere for a switch to turn it on...... I am obviously missing something somewhere....all the parts and components look to be there...I just cant find a switch/knob to turn it on....

Any help would be great

KyMoonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Is there a metal lever on the side of the unit? It is located in the cupboard in which the fan is mounted. Should be on the right side of the fan housing. Just pull the lever forward and it should turn on the fan.

Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
On our '74, the large gold "Control Panel" is in the locker directly over the burners. On the right hand side of the Control Panel is a squarish knob the slides up and down almost the entire height of the Control Panel.

It opens the vent cover hatch for the range hood on the outside of the trailer, and and the end of its travel, it switches on the fan. It's purely mechanical, pulling on a solid steel wire which is encased inside a coiled steel wire sheath.

Mine was binding to the point where the inside cable had bent and no longer either opened the outer vent hatch or triggered the electrical switch. I took it apart, squirted enough liquid lubricant (I think it was spray graphite grease) into the sheath, worked the cable a number of times, and it eventually operated smoothly.

The fan is noisier than a banshee howling though, so I think I will have a closer look at it this summer to see if there is any way to lube it. Those fans are still available, but at silly prices.
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Hello, On my 71 the vent door is held open/close with a magnet and on mine if you feel to the right of the fan door there is a push button switch you cant see it unless you look up there from the underside. At least thats where mine is, it took me awhile to find mine also.
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote