Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
You have to wonder if someone will bid on it.
"The World is full of ..."
"There is a ..... born every minute"
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Now that is a funny ad! The seller tells you that he paid $16.95 for the lamp he is selling with a starting bid of $99. He also includes a link to the store he bought it from.

He does state that he needs the money to restore his trailer.

You have to wonder if someone will bid on it.
I would say it's someone from here that isn't happy with Rob's entrepreneurial endevors. It's obviously a side jab at his listing. Come on guys if you want to take a jab cowboy up and be ready to take it in return.

Quote:
fishingonice's recent purchases:
Using Rob's ad as an example, let me state how I feel about similiar ads. As a buyer, I see ads and think "what a rat" when I see an ad for something I know the seller purchased for $16.95 and are listing it with an opening bid of say $50. That is clearly not the case with Rob's ad. He's listed for what he paid for it. If someone wants to pay what they bid - so be it. Here's the other half of what I think about ads like this - I think "what an idiot" when I see someone actually pay those prices. It becomes obvious that they haven't done their research. Caveat Emptor.

Personally, when I see something I want/need, I run it thru every search engine I can to see where I can get it cheaper. I know if it's new on eBay, then they are buying it somewhere for a better price. Sometimes I find it elsewhere (their supplier) sometimes not. If I really want/need it and have to buy it from them, I know they are making money on me, and I make that informed decision to purchase. If their price is to high, I don't buy.

I used to sell on eBay all the time - made some good money doing so. I started selling on eBay about 6-7 years ago, simply getting rid of stuff I no longer wanted/needed. Then I expanded. Some items I sold were special deals I had procured that buyers couldn't get elsewhere, some items were things I had found that I knew would sell, (or saw someone else selling and undercut their exorbiant, overpriced listings) I slowly dwindled to not selling simply because I didn't have the time to invest.

I think as buyers, we're quick to say "what a rat" when the price is higher than what we want to pay or think it's worth, (and there are some definite rats out there) but the reality is, it's worth whatever the buyer chooses to pay in that venue.

I think that a certains vendor's (no names) prices are way too high, but I have bought from him (I think?) when that was my only option. Either that or I found another option and bought or made it. However, that vendor stays in business because there are enough people who disagree with me on what I feel is a fair price - or it was also their only option. It's a Free market
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #43
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Rob, you did a good job being forthcoming about this. Still it's strange how eBay buyers will leap at an item without researching it. That's what Roger's column is all about.
First, let me thank you for the kind words about the column. I do try to point out the more aggregious overbids on eBay but you see them every day if you shop eBay often. Take just one example of an item I have mentioned several times..the sterling silver trailer charm pictured below (with permission from Steve Hintgen). Scarecly a day goes by that someone doesn'y buy one of these charms for at least $5 or even upwards of $20. Vintage Trailer Supply sells them for $3.95 each, every day all day. It's a very nice trinket. I have two of them.
It is hard to place the blame on the eBay sellers when a quick Internet search by the bidder would have located the same item at a lesser price. Caveat emptor!
Attached Images

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #44
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Great sense of humor? The think what makes me laugh is the listing fee this guy has to pay in order to tell his joke. I am currently the high bidder on Rob's auction. I am dadofava1966. I have no problem giving Rob a few dollars towards his goal of getting his Airstream done. I see nothing wrong in helping a brother out, that was the message that was taught to me in church every sunday, "You are your brothers keeper". I just hope fishingonice goes after some real serious offenders of the capitalistic society we live in. How about you take on De Bears and the diamond trade... does he realize what a fake value is placed on diamonds? I bought a sleeve of sand paper(500 sheets) There is about 400 carets worth of diamonds in there... how much is that 3/4 carat ring in the window? I hope you enjoy those Nike shoes you paid well over $70 for, the company that made them was paid $1.50, the person that sewed them made about $.25 for the entire day. How about the gas you put in your tank? Those oil companies are showing profits in the billions per quarter... we could go on and on.
The bottom line is Rob, did nothing wrong. As he pointed out, if only one person bid on it, he would actually loose money. He did nothing to deceive anyone. He is a Naval Academy graduate and operates as an officer and a gentleman in every aspect of his life. No one should be throwing stones, we all live in houses made of glass.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Great sense of humor? The think what makes me laugh is the listing fee this guy has to pay in order to tell his joke. I am currently the high bidder on Rob's auction. I am dadofava1966. I have no problem giving Rob a few dollars towards his goal of getting his Airstream done. I see nothing wrong in helping a brother out, that was the message that was taught to me in church every sunday, "You are your brothers keeper". I just hope fishingonice goes after some real serious offenders of the capitalistic society we live in. How about you take on De Bears and the diamond trade... does he realize what a fake value is placed on diamonds? I bought a sleeve of sand paper(500 sheets) There is about 400 carets worth of diamonds in there... how much is that 3/4 carat ring in the window? I hope you enjoy those Nike shoes you paid well over $70 for, the company that made them was paid $1.50, the person that sewed them made about $.25 for the entire day. How about the gas you put in your tank? Those oil companies are showing profits in the billions per quarter... we could go on and on.
The bottom line is Rob, did nothing wrong. As he pointed out, if only one person bid on it, he would actually loose money. He did nothing to deceive anyone. He is a Naval Academy graduate and operates as an officer and a gentleman in every aspect of his life. No one should be throwing stones, we all live in houses made of..........
ALUMINUM
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Nice post 62overlander
But the way I read it -while you are protecting "the capitalistic society we live in." for Rob, you decline it for the other ebay poster.
You reserve for yourself the right to do with your money whatever pleases you, but you say it is wrong for the poster to do the same with his own money.
He still has great sense of humor in my book, regardless the fact that I don't hold anything against Rob.
It is free country for everybody after-all.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:57 AM   #47
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have found that perspective is everything. How you personally see a situation will always be different than how I see something. Take the Mona Lisa for example.... many see it and think she looks sad, while others think she is grinning. They both have their opinions due to their perspective. This discussion is much like that painting. We approach it with all that baggage we carry inside of us and when we look, well, some of us see a smile and some of us see a frown. What I saw was some folks that thought they were discovering a con. What I saw next was the tar being boiled and feathers being readied. Fortunately, Rob stepped in and diffused the situation. I have read the entire thread twice this morning to clarify my perspective before I wrote this post, I suggest others do too.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:29 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Even now

Even with this thread, and a couple buddies bidding on this kind of as a competition between themselves and wanting to help me out, they were still outbid and the thing still ended up selling for $26. Unbelievable - this is even with FishingOnIce emailing the bidders telling them that you can get it at the link below new for only $16.95 new. Too much!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #49
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Look at this eBay Motors: Vintage RV MH Trailer Plug In Porch Light w/Globe NOS (item 180213034794 end time Feb-08-08 21:26:24 PST) what a rat...
Old 02-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
1978 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Virginia
I guess I don't feel so bad about loosing out to ShirleyDicker Now can someone find me a source for those little cool cigaretter lghter/map lighter thingies that are coming up tomorrow morning for auction ?

Let's face it maybe it's just me but I find scouring Ebay for parts alot more fun than cleaning the mildew out of my Airstream.

Maybe someone here can start an Airstream Ebay Crisis Line for those of us in the middle of a self-destructive buying binge and need a reality check-or not- then what else would we do late at night to keep our Airstream Dreams alive?

Silver Steve
Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #51

1958 18' "Footer"
Soquel , California
cigarette lighter/light

mentioning the cigarette lighter/light on ebay...there were a couple of them listed. check them out under boating and they are listed as a chart light/cigarette lighter.
Danish is offline   Reply With Quote