Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Polycarbonate Skylights

I would appreciate knowing what the experience has been with using polycarbonate skylights in place of the skylights that come from the factory. Feedback based on several years of use would be very valuable.

Many thanks,

Nick Meloy
mulatfl@att.net
850-981-9667
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Assuming you mean the plastic vent lids, the polycarbonate covers should last much longer than the original, regular plastic lids, which typically only last a couple of seasons, if you're lucky. The lids on the Fantastic Fans are polycarbonate, and ours has lasted since we purchased our Airstream new in 2005, while I just installed the third replacement, regular plastic lid on our other vent.

I intend to install a polycarbonate replacement lid when this latest one goes bad in a year or so, but I already had a replacement in the closet. They fail so frequently, that I always carry a spare. (Polycarbonate replacement lids only became widely available a year or two ago.)

In any case, we are considering adding a second Fantastic Fan, so this may not be a continuing routine repair. However, as our original Fantastic Fan ages, we may need a replacement polycarbonate lid for it; although, it still looks structurally sound after 4.5 years.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...hts-53517.html check out this thread
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote