Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Angry Plastic Bedroom Roof Vent Deterioration

I just came back from visiting my 2007 25’ Safari in the storage yard and found the white plastic cover from our opening roof vent over our forward bedroom in the lot next to my trailer. After two years of being in the sun the plastic on the vent cover deteriorated from the sun’s ultra violet and the recent winds in the area pulled the vent cover off the roof and let the rain in and soak the mattress, rug and floor of my trailer. I expected that Airstream would use high quality UV resistant products on a $57K trailer that would last longer, I guess I was wrong! I suggest that anyone with a trailer with one of the standard (non Fantastic Fan) vents take preventative action and replace their vent covers every 1 ½ years to prevent the same from happening. At a minimum I would carry a replacement cover with me.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Bummer! Sorry you had to deal with that mess. I need to check mine out so thanks for the reminder. Hope you get yours fixed up better than new soon.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This is a not uncommon problem with that type of vent. It will happen again if you simply replace the cover. We had that happen, and replaced our vent with a Fantastic Fan, and have been glad we did.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I had the same problem but did not want to purchase a fantastic fan, I purchased the replacements and painted them with good UV resistance paint they seem to be holding up. It also help to cut down on the amount of light coming into the trailer which I felt was excessive and interfered with my nap time.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
We've already replaced our vent cover, and it is a common problem. I wonder if Airstream is still using those same cheesey covers knowing of this issue.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
We've already replaced our vent cover, and it is a common problem. I wonder if Airstream is still using those same cheesey covers knowing of this issue.
The covers do have the virtue of being cheap, both to initially install, and to replace. They tend to be around $10, and take about 15 minutes to replace.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
on my 90 model i could not find any of the plastic covers that would fit locally, so i found some metal ones that i had to slightly modified to fit. they work great and unless they get hit by a tree or somthing i should not have to replace them for a long while
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
This is a not uncommon problem with that type of vent. It will happen again if you simply replace the cover. We had that happen, and replaced our vent with a Fantastic Fan, and have been glad we did.
Overlander63...You indicated that you replaced your plain roof vent with a fantastic fan. Where did you get your power supply for the new Fantastic Fan? Was it an easy swap from the standard fan assembly to the Fantastic Fan?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We replaced ours once. When the second one started to crack, we decided to bite the bullet and install a new remote-control Fantastic Fan in the bedroom of our 25FB. We had planned to do the fan thing anyway, and we were at JC having some other work done.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bozeman , Montana
2nd replacement, 2 years at max

I just found the same problem this weekend for the 2x time on our 19ft 2005 Bambi. Seems like they last at max, 2 years, when exposed. Also, replacing them is a real PIA since the air conditioner is in the way of the hinges.

How are people getting power to the fantastic fans?
joelbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
I decided not to go through the sun damaged roof vent in the rain again and had our dealer install a MaxxAir II on the cheap front roof vent and a Maxx Air Fan/Mate for the Fantastic Fan. This will keep the direct sun off the vent covers and protect them from the UV damage. The only thing I noticed is that the vent covers don't open as high as they did without the covers and there is less air flow than we had without them. The good news is that I shouldn't find a big hole in my roof letting the rain in the next time the UV kills a cover.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
Overlander63...You indicated that you replaced your plain roof vent with a fantastic fan. Where did you get your power supply for the new Fantastic Fan? Was it an easy swap from the standard fan assembly to the Fantastic Fan?
I'm sorry I missed this question earlier, but the power wire for the fan runs through the roof, on the curbside, near the fan housing. It was more or less direct swap-oout, with no real issues. I think it took me about an hour or so, your installation time may be greater. I was motivated by dark storm clouds overhead...
Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
Gator1

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Recurring problem

One of the factory techs told me this was a problem with a run of vent covers recently. I replaced both of mine after they failed last summer. Prior to that, I had another Airstream with the same covers that lasted 7 years without a problem.

I expect the replacement to last as long, but will keep a close eye on it. If you can snap a corner of the plastic off with your fingers, then it is getting ready to fail and needs to be replaced.

Replacement is an easy 5 minute job.

Jim
WBCCI #5228
2006 25' Safari FB
Gator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The covers do have the virtue of being cheap, both to initially install, and to replace. They tend to be around $10, and take about 15 minutes to replace.
My vent covers on my '72 overlander have totaly disintigrated... Looking for new ones, I tried Camping world and they had none that would fit. The hinges were all different. Calling My local A/S dealer, they said they had a few of the white ones for $50 a piece and then Inland RV has the smoke ones at $80 a piece. If the only difference is the hinge, why are the ones at Camping World only $15 and the others so expensive? The A/S's don't come with any mounting hardware anyway. They said I have to rivet the old hardware on myself.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
because they can! Actually I think it has a lot to do with the fact that since the parts are different, they aren't mass produced, therefore cost more, or worse yet didn't exist for awhile and vendors are recooping their costs of have the part made from scratch. Pretty much the same reason special order parts at stores are usually so much more than what they stock.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
2007 Roof Vent Problem

Just went on first trip of year,got to destination and found roof vent gone!!!.
Was able to park truck next to trailer (about an inch) stand on truck and
Tape Garbage bag over opening.Layed on trailer,did not have to get on roof.
It rained while camping and on rtn.trip to dealer.Unit stayed dry.
Having Dealer install another Fantastic Fan.We have one over Bedroom and it shows no wear ! So will rplc the kitchen one with a Fantastic Fan.
I would suggest that all 2007 owners inspect there vents as soon as possible.Also carry Duct Tape and large Black Garbage Bag or spare vent.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Same problem

I woke up one sunny saturday morning with a pleasant breeze blowing on my face... then realized it was because the vent cover was GONE. I made a temp cover from a plastic box lid, then went to my local RV shop and bought a replacement.

About 2 weeks ago I was in JC, and had the vent replaced with a Fantastic Fan. The first time I tried it, oh joy! They'd put in a reversable one!!!!! So now If I'm lying on the bed boondocking in hot weather I can have the fan blowing IN on me if I want it to. BOY are those things powerful, when you start one you'd better hurry to the other end of the trailer and open the lid on the second one or your ears are going to pop from the pressure. They really create a great breeze inside even on the low setting - and are quieter than the AC.

More boondocking possible now!

Paula
Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
My vent cover was replaced under warranty last fall. I wanted to install a Fantastic Fan but there is NO POWER running close to the vent in the bedroom. The only way the dealer said that they could install it was to tie into the light power in the ceiling lights. Of course, you have to have the lights on for the fan to work which seemed a bit STUPID. Anybody else have luck in finding power for their SE Safaris?

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont View Post
My vent cover was replaced under warranty last fall. I wanted to install a Fantastic Fan but there is NO POWER running close to the vent in the bedroom. The only way the dealer said that they could install it was to tie into the light power in the ceiling lights. Of course, you have to have the lights on for the fan to work which seemed a bit STUPID. Anybody else have luck in finding power for their SE Safaris?
I checked with Rod at C&G Trailer. All of the 12V runs in the ceiling. They could have tied into another wire. They wouildn't have to use power from the lights. Rod's number is 800 662-3790 if you want use pick his brain.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Update on replacement lids for standard vent:

I was at Al's RV in Phoenix, AZ, a week ago, and someone is now manufacturing replacement lids in polycarbonate material (like the Fantastic Fan uses). These should last much longer than the regular cheap plastic they have used for years. Check out your local RV parts place, and have them order the new lids if they don't have them in stock.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote