Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #29

1972 31' Sovereign
Houma , Louisiana
Vent Covers for Airstreams 1972 & 1974

Hi all;

Again, I have a 1972 Airstream International Sovereign 31'.
My brother has a 1974 Airstream International 31’.
Maintaining 2 of these trailers is a task but all in all we have faired well with our used trailers and would not trade them for any other type of trailer. About 2 weeks ago back we headed up to do some work on both of the roofs. I did not buy any replacements vent covers yet, but this is what we decided to do.

1) My 1972 Airstream International Sovereign 31'.

NOTE::
For those for you that insist on having light from the sun come through the vent covers, this option may not be for you because the procedure will darken the RV.
My vents are double layer fiberglass. Since I did not want to uninstall them, buy new ones, and fit to the existing hardware, I decided to repair them in place. By the time I fight to remove the old ones and fit up the hardware and risk breaking the un-replaceable hardware I could have made a repair. so, First I lifted the vents. I installed a new foam rubber seal purchased at Home Depot (Frost King Rubber Foam Weatherseal Self Stick Tape, 3/4" thick and 5/16" wide & 10 ft long. I installed it on the roof opening itself and not the bottom side of the vent covers. Then, I lowered the vent. My fiberglass vents were in too much bad shape to sand so I just applied a repair product called BondoGlass (Walmart Automobile Department) 1-1/2 cans are enough for 1 vent. I spread it completely covered the vent cover top with it by spreading it like icing on a cake. The smell will be very strong so you will not be able to sleep in the RV for a number of hours until the smell leaves. Use a painter's mask during the procedure. I let it dry for recommended time. My guess is, the product will stick to the old cover enough to hold it in place. One of my covers was so bad, I had to remove the top layer of the cover and use more of the bondo product to build up the cover, this way, I was sure that it would stick to the old cover when dry (chemical reaction).
That is all I had time to do t his trip, but the next step will be to use a product called BLACK JACK 1 Gallon Ultra-Roof 1000 10 Year White Siliconized Elastomeric Roof Coating. (Lowes Home Improvement). I will roll it onto the vent cover tops. This will seal any pinhole leaks if any, because the bondo glass is a bit hard to spread. Also, it will protect the Bondo Glass from UV rays.! For those for you that insist on having light from the sun come through the vent covers, this option may not be for you because the procedure will darken the RV.

NOTE::
For those for you that insist on having light from the sun come through the vent covers, this option may not be for you because the procedure will darken the RV.

2) My brother has a 1974 Airstream International 31’.
The vent covers on this model are different than on my model. They are made of aluminum and have a 7" x 7" translucent plastic in the middle of the cover riveted in place to let sunlight in.
His plastic was in good shape but the rivet area seemed to be squeezing out the factory sealer.
All I did was to use a product called BLACK JACK 1 Gallon Ultra-Roof 1000 10 Year White Siliconized Elastomeric Roof Coating. (Lowes Home Improvement). I rolled it all over the vent covers and used a small brush to apply the Black Jack to all the rivets around the roof hole too.
The next trip, we plan to change the vent cover rubber seals and again apply to the roof lip, not the underside of the covers (for ease of installation.
++foam rubber seal purchased at Home Depot (Frost King Rubber Foam Weatherseal Self Stick Tape, 3/4" thick and 5/16" wide & 10 ft long.

Regards,
Good Luck.

_

Old 07-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
Paula..... Saw your post from last year on having the standard vent in your bedroom replaced with a Fantastic Fan. Was the dealer able to find a 12v electric supply for the Fantastic without having to leave the bedroom lights on when the fan is running?
OK, just saw this.

Wire it to the hot side of the light switch, not the switched side.