Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Outside kitchen exhaust vent

The two small retaining clip to hold down the flap of the exhaust vent broke at the same time. Replacing the complete unit with a stainless steel one is not an option due to the price. A complete new plastic unit is probably only $15 so I suspect spare parts like the clips are not available separately. It seems ridiculous to go to the trouble of replacing the complete unit just because the clips are broken. Does anyone know if they are available separately or has anybody found a suitable alternative

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1154EB10-D131-4BCA-BEA2-7164A6694C94.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	330446  
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post
The two small retaining clip to hold down the flap of the exhaust vent broke at the same time. Replacing the complete unit with a stainless steel one is not an option due to the price. A complete new plastic unit is probably only $15 so I suspect spare parts like the clips are not available separately. It seems ridiculous to go to the trouble of replacing the complete unit just because the clips are broken. Does anyone know if they are available separately or has anybody found a suitable alternative

Thanks
Mine were not there on my first 2006, 25'AS; we went 3 years without....no issues. My second 2008 25', we never used them; the vent was always open...no issues. I broke one on my 2014 25', and again, we never did use the good one; always left open...no issues. This 2017 model has both, and I never close them either...could, but have not found any reason based on experience. Anyone else have cautions about not locking the stove vent closed and leaving open??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
we also had this issue. Here is a thread about it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...er-182291.html

I went with sticky velcro to fix.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I want mine closed when not camping to discourage mice or wasps.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Hood vent fan vent cover

When your not camping or in long term storage perhaps a peace of "Gaffers" tape across small holes and lip of vent would keep it sealed. As some others, I never lock mine either. So far so good.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
In desert areas, it’s best to latch the flap shut to keep some of the blowing dust out.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Okatie , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post

Thanks
I obtained small window screen clips at a big box store. They are almost identical to those on the vent. They have hole for a bolt or screw. I raised the vent flap and installed the clips with a short appropriate sized bolts and locking nuts through the hole from the original retainers. Time for install less than 10 min. for both clips. A permenant fix.
Martinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinod View Post
I obtained small window screen clips at a big box store. They are almost identical to those on the vent. They have hole for a bolt or screw. I raised the vent flap and installed the clips with a short appropriate sized bolts and locking nuts through the hole from the original retainers. Time for install less than 10 min. for both clips. A permenant fix.
Thanks . I went the same route but used a screw, when I have a minute I will replace it with a bolt and nut.here is a picture of the part available at Home depot. i ended up using the smaller clip with the screw of the larger one.
Attached Images

Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote