Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
There really ought to be a way to coat these things (when new) to prevent such sun damage.

Maybe a little story here. The MG has "hubcaps," which are just little metal disks with the MG logo painted on them. The problem was that the painted logo would last only about a year before being totally ruined by the sun. Throw them away and spend another ~20 bucks for new ones.

The last time, though, I had a handy spray can of clear varnish, so I plopped the new caps down and gave them each a squirt. Waited a day and installed them. That was, ah, about 15 years ago, and the painted logos are as fresh as new.

So, then, that's varnished paint. Is there anything out there to coat plastic with a UV-resistant finish?

Lynn

Lynn,

Been using this for quite awhile for just about everything that needs UV protection, tires, vinyl, plastic, etc....
It works very well, especially on the boat seats that get a lot of Sun.

303 Cleaner is also a very good product.

I do cover the skylight and FF during Winter storage though...

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, good to know, Bob! Now I wonder if coating new/slightly used skylights would allow them to withstand the sun and avoid cracking longer. Seems like it ought to. Just having the physical barrier (the coating) between product and sunlight really should help, I'd think.

Lynn

Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Lynn,

Any time I'm "up on the roof" I take the 303 tector with me, spray everything,
AC shroud, skylight and both vent covers, when I come back down I give the tires a squirt. Microfiber cloth to help keep from scratching. Cleans pretty good too and the water beads up nice. I'm sure it helps a lot......plus it makes me feel better. SFSG

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 05-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Chandler , Arizona
My solution to options question.

So here's what I decided to go with. Getting ready for install.

My go to place(Mcmaster), provided the bronze tinted, polycarbonate, 1/4" thick sheet....scratch and impact resistant with high heat resistance.

I'm putting full confidence in Eternabond, since I've read such good comments everywhere about it's forever "stickability". Using their double sided tape to secure flat 1/4" sheet to aluminum frame flange, then their Webseal around the frame-to-roof seam, with a 3" wide Roofseal wrapping the edge of polycarb sheet around and onto the vertical frame and overlapping the Webseal. I'll finish with a ceramic type brush on roof coating over the Webseal out onto the roof surface. I tried to resemble the overlapping design of the Maxim frame so as to prevent possibility of leaking and utilize two layers of Eternabond. "If one is good, two is better!"

I shouldn't be climbing onto roof alone, so either myself or my observer will take photos and I'll be sure to post them.

P.S. I too have use 303 products with great results. I'll probable coat these panels too.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The product that Inland sells is a polyacrylic and does not have much elongation. It also seems to not have enough UV inhibitor added to it. Most plastics need a UV inhibitor to survive in the south. If you have seen how yellow the headlight covers get on cars in Florida or down south, you know that.
Car headlight covers are made from Polycarbonate. At least it is ductile and do not develop cracks like the acrylic.

The sheeting I used for my lids has lumens (round holes in the middle) which get a dispersed light. This sheeting is lighter and thicker than the solid sheet and was intended for green houses, so it contains the most UV resistant additive. It is not good for chicken houses, since they need the UV to help reduce the build up of bacteria.

There are liquid products out there which contain UV inhibitors, which should length the life of the skylight. I am not sure which is best.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Denver , Colorado
We'll look into the Maxim skylight. Gee, if it's made by the same company that makes the Maxim magazine I wonder what I'm going to be seeing through that skylight?
I just remembered we had some leaks show up after a week along the Oregon coast last fall so when I got home I removed all the skylight screws, reapplied the Silkaflex to each hole, screwed it back down again. No power screwdriver. But I wonder if that's what caused those cracks? Maybe too tight?
AIR #35886
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Just do the Maxim and you won't be sorry or have to worry any more. Did mine a couple years ago and would do it again if I had. And if I remember correctly, they were not that much more expensive than what RV Inland was selling if not about the same price.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down Sloppy assembly....

"But I wonder if that's what caused those cracks? Maybe too tight?"

Jimmy,

Our Skylight was cracked right from the factory,(overtightened at every screw), along with the AC shroud and the Fantastic Vent covers and a very poor install of the black tank vent.
Going "up on the roof" should be a part of any Airstream purchase.

BTW.....Fantastic warranted the covers three years after the fact.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 011.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	619.9 KB
ID:	159672  

RLC

RLC