Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Berry Creek , California
Nothing but a 14x25 hole in the roof

My 62 Tradewind came with a 14x25 hole in the roof covered with leaking plexiglass. I want to put a vent in and it looks like Inland RV is the only provider of domes that fit this size. What do I do for opening/closing the vent? There are no cranks or old-fashioned openers, and no mounting hardware ....there's just a rectangular opening. I really don't want to put in a hinge. It looks like Inland has the old hehr? openers, but I don't see how to attach them to the vent frame in the trailer. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	107569  
nmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer View Post
My 62 Tradewind came with a 14x25 hole in the roof covered with leaking plexiglass. I want to put a vent in and it looks like Inland RV is the only provider of domes that fit this size. What do I do for opening/closing the vent? There are no cranks or old-fashioned openers, and no mounting hardware ....there's just a rectangular opening. I really don't want to put in a hinge. It looks like Inland has the old hehr? openers, but I don't see how to attach them to the vent frame in the trailer. Any suggestions?
Is there a "U" shaped bracket at each end of the astrodome frame?

Can you post a photo?

Some of the vent operator brackets are probably still around, but used.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i had to put in a skylight. $85 or so?

RV Skylight
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Your photo shows the mounting brackets for the Hehr vent operators. It appears that all you are missing are the hinged pieces that should come on the new operators that mount to the vent lid. If the new operators work like the old ones, they will snap into place into the brackets that are shown in your photo on each short end of the vent opening. I will see if I can photo the complete assembly later this week when I have the trailer at the house. You have the same set up that we do on our 62 Ambassador.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Here's a picture of my skylight showing the original lifters in the extended position and the Lexan cover I made. Hopefully this will give you an idea of how it all mounts up to the roof. You are also missing the angle aluminum trim that goes around the ceiling opening.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Skylight.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	107570  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
That is what mine looks like,... Thanks Brad for posting!

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Berry Creek , California
While the bracket holders are in place, both of the little round bases that sit in the brackets to hold the HEHR openers are missing. Does anyone have the holders (or brackets and holders) that I need in so that I can get the HEHR openers to stay in place? I called Inland RV this morning and they did not have the holders that fit into the brackets. If I just get the HEHR openers as shown in the Inland catalog, there's nothing to hold them in place to the trailer... two forks of aluminum won't hold a round cylinder of aluminum very well in a moving or stationary trailer This is hard to describe... hopefully the pictures help as I do have two HEHR openers and complete brackets/holders on a vent further back in the trailer to help show how the HEHR openers sit in the little round base that attaches to the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1551[1].jpg
Views:	240
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	107720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552[1].jpg
Views:	341
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	107721  

Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm not sure you understand so I'll just ask. In your left photo, the black piece with the four sided extension is part of the lifter mechanism itself. That is what attaches the lifter to the bracket. To get this off the bracket, just put a flathead screwdriver in between the lifter and the bracket and it will pry off easily. Once you get this off, you'll see how it all works providing that your lifters aren't stuck. If so, you can soak them in WD40 or another solution for a couple of days and they should loosen up.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer View Post
While the bracket holders are in place, both of the little round bases that sit in the brackets to hold the HEHR openers are missing. Does anyone have the holders (or brackets and holders) that I need in so that I can get the HEHR openers to stay in place? I called Inland RV this morning and they did not have the holders that fit into the brackets. If I just get the HEHR openers as shown in the Inland catalog, there's nothing to hold them in place to the trailer... two forks of aluminum won't hold a round cylinder of aluminum very well in a moving or stationary trailer This is hard to describe... hopefully the pictures help as I do have two HEHR openers and complete brackets/holders on a vent further back in the trailer to help show how the HEHR openers sit in the little round base that attaches to the bracket.
You DO NOT need that "round" part.

The operators are designed to pop into the bracket, that will hold it in place.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Berry Creek , California
The new vent lifts work great, I got a couple more for the old back vent, too (before/after): http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...tml#post897258
Old 04-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
San Diego , California
Thumbs up Boxcardawg

Thanks to all - I just R & R'd my 14 X 25 roof vent from this discussion - Popped out and cleaned both risers and now they both work as they should!

Mike
San Diego/Tijuana
Boxcardawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tubac , Arizona
Where can I find one of those 14x25 vented skylights?
I have a 1960 tradewind with similar problem
No blenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
They are "out of stock" at Vintage Trailer Supply but if you give Steve a call it might encourage him to order new stock. They're not very complicated if you've ever done any fiberglass fabrication, just need to make a decent mold.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by No blenda View Post
Where can I find one of those 14x25 vented skylights?
I have a 1960 tradewind with similar problem
No blenda, You might want to give Inland Airstream a call to see if their parts department still has these in stock. Or perhaps check and see if InlandRV.com /parts has any listed. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Astrodome

No blenda, I just looked at InlandRV.com. You can scroll down to see parts list. They are showing Astrodomes in natyral and smoked versions. I would call them regarding hardware. They are a very knowledgeable parts dealer and may have everything you need to restore that area. These domes where hand crank so no poer is needed to operate the dome. You will need to see if they carry the screen or perhaps it is included (but I doubt it). Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote