Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2018, 04:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryker View Post
I had 2 Maxxfan delux installed on my 2013 25FC by a non-airstream dealer. They had no issues. I loved the fans so much I had them installed on my 2017 27FC last fall by an airstream dealer. I watched them do it and it was an easy out with the FF in with the Maxxfan. No issues at all.
Thanks for that. I'll tackle this myself and report back. Might only be a two beer, 4 @#$% word job.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Replacing FFs with MaxxAirs is easy. They use the same sized opening in the roof. It's the first mod I make.

I'm glad that FFs have so many fans (no pun, I mean devotees), because I got a pretty good price selling them.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
When I bought my trailer in 2012, I upgraded both FFs to fully remote models. Since then, both of them became finicky. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. (Cleaning the limit switch that senses that the lid is open sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.) Their operation was becoming too random and unpredictable, and the front one was getting noisy.

Replaced both of them last year with MaxxAirs. I like that I don't need the remote to pick the speed or turn them on or off. I like that they can stay fully open and running in the rain. They just seem like a better designed product. I'm not convinced I get the same amount of airflow as with the wide-open FFs...but I'll live with that sacrifice.

Given how important the fans are to our boondocking no-AC-running camping, I'm happy I made the change.

Tom
Old 02-24-2018, 05:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
When I bought my trailer in 2012, I upgraded both FFs to fully remote models. Since then, both of them became finicky. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. (Cleaning the limit switch that senses that the lid is open sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.) Their operation was becoming too random and unpredictable, and the front one was getting noisy.

Replaced both of them last year with MaxxAirs. I like that I don't need the remote to pick the speed or turn them on or off. I like that they can stay fully open and running in the rain. They just seem like a better designed product. I'm not convinced I get the same amount of airflow as with the wide-open FFs...but I'll live with that sacrifice.

Given how important the fans are to our boondocking no-AC-running camping, I'm happy I made the change.

Tom
So, you have traded your “finicky”, 10 year old Fantastic Fan, for a design with lower airflow, the ability to control the fan from multiple positions (remote and from the fan itself) and run in the rain capability. The ability to keep the fan open in the rain is interesting although I wonder if more wet air is what I want in a hot muggy trailer on a wet day. I personally like the way our fan turns itself on and off when it rains and I have no need of a remote control.
Of course as I posted before, our fan has been perfectly reliable with some simple cleaning/maintenance. I also love the fact that it is made in the USA!
We have lived in our trailer for 4 of the last 12 months or so having towed it some 20,000 miles around the country. Our fan hasn’t reached the 10 year age yours did when you replaced them but it sure has seen some hours. I wonder what was happening to yours to make it intermittent?
I am just curious and I hope I’m not coming off as critical...
Bruce
Old 02-24-2018, 05:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Bruce, I'm beginning to believe that these Fantastic Fans are inconsistent quality. Trust me, I know how to clean the sensor as do others reading here. Despite good housekeeping some of us are experiencing faults that are seemingly without recourse thus the frustration.

Your comments pushed me over the edge. I'll give the FF tech. line one more chance. For the record, the last time I called I was given the brush off and told that the rain sensor was not reliable and my option was to clean it. The advice given was off putting to say the least.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:18 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Bruce, I'm beginning to believe that these Fantastic Fans are inconsistent quality. Trust me, I know how to clean the sensor as do others reading here. Despite good housekeeping some of us are experiencing faults that are seemingly without recourse thus the frustration.

Your comments pushed me over the edge. I'll give the FF tech. line one more chance. For the record, the last time I called I was given the brush off and told that the rain sensor was not reliable and my option was to clean it. The advice given was off putting to say the least.
That advice would make me pretty unhappy too!
Obviously the new owners are not living up to past standards...
This said, there has to be something different about our fan and yours and given the simplicity of the design I am guessing that it should be easy enough to find.
Just to be perfectly honest, I have struggled with seemingly simple systems more than a few times in my life and I understand the desire to get beyond an unreliable thing..
If Maxxfan offers a reliable alternative and their customer support is good then I would consider replacing ours if I were frustrated.
Bruce
Old 02-25-2018, 05:31 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
That advice would make me pretty unhappy too!
Obviously the new owners are not living up to past standards...
This said, there has to be something different about our fan and yours and given the simplicity of the design I am guessing that it should be easy enough to find.
Just to be perfectly honest, I have struggled with seemingly simple systems more than a few times in my life and I understand the desire to get beyond an unreliable thing..
If Maxxfan offers a reliable alternative and their customer support is good then I would consider replacing ours if I were frustrated.
Bruce
You are a gracious gentleman. Airstream on my friend.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
So, you have traded your “finicky”, 10 year old Fantastic Fan, for a design with lower airflow, the ability to control the fan from multiple positions (remote and from the fan itself) and run in the rain capability. The ability to keep the fan open in the rain is interesting although I wonder if more wet air is what I want in a hot muggy trailer on a wet day. I personally like the way our fan turns itself on and off when it rains and I have no need of a remote control

Bruce

Hi Bruce! Honestly, the FFs were an issue for a while. When I bought my 07 in 12, I upgraded the front fan to the top-end remote unit. A rear fan wasn’t standard in 07, so I added that, with the same spec.

I didn’t get the remote for the remote; it’s silly in this size trailer. Getting the remote gave me 14 speeds instead of 3. That was important because we are light sleepers, and I can adjust the fan to be “just right,” saving battery power. The only way to turn those fans on or off, or to adjust the speed, is with the remote.

Like you, the first few years were bliss. I then got most of the front fan replaced for free under the then-generous parts warranty.

But the rain sensors were always over sensitive. It became a pain to find the remote to adjust them. Switching in/out was a careful dance of timing so that it would actually switch. Then I spend 2 summers with intermittent fan operation, despite knowing all about the limit switch. The final straw was a cracked front fan housing that created big leaks up front. I was done, and fixed the problem the best way I knew how: $$!

The control logic of the new fans seem more robust. Switching airflow direction is immediate. The speed controls and on/off are on the fan body, not a remote. I depend on the airflow for evaporative cooling when it is humid, so keeping humid air out isn’t a worry. (We never run the AC.)

Like I said, my biggest complaint is the reduction in airflow volume. And I agree that they aren’t as simple in design. But they don’t make me want to take a hammer to them, unlike the FF, so I call that progress!

Tom
Old 02-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
That FF is no longer aparrently making good quality product makes me a little sad...although the idea of taking a hammer to them made me laugh!
My wife never understands the frustration that a non-working electrical/mechanical device can have on me. Having spent my days in the shop dealing with many broken things, I fully understand that language!!!
Perhaps what this forum needs is a system of rating gear with one end of the ratings scale being a different number of hammers to signify frustration...
Bruce
Old 02-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A good assortment of hammers is always appropriate for a well-equipped toolbox.

The old saw about if it’s broken, or stuck, it’s time to grab a bigger hammer is still quite true...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Hammer AKA Metric Standard Micro Adjuster

In some alternate reality I run a large web forum where we have often considered having a formal review/rating section. After much chin wagging we agreed that doing so detracts from useful conversations on the main forum(s).

Break time is over back on your heads.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have been a FF promotor on this forum for years.
Last winter I added a new FF to my Excella, replacing the existing Ventline in front. The rear fan has always been a FF. My Safari has two FFs. My prior trailer had two FFs.

The new FF is noticeably louder that those older ones, the motor is smaller, and I've had to clean the rain sensor twice already. (I'm guessing - the rain sensor is faulty and/or the newly designed circuit boards create additional sensitivity that detects minute levels of condensation)

The changes FF has made are definitely NOT improvements.

If I buy another fan I will most likely change to another brand.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Your honest appraisal is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I have been a FF promotor on this forum for years.
Last winter I added a new FF to my Excella, replacing the existing Ventline in front. The rear fan has always been a FF. My Safari has two FFs. My prior trailer had two FFs.

The new FF is noticeably louder that those older ones, the motor is smaller, and I've had to clean the rain sensor twice already. (I'm guessing - the rain sensor is faulty and/or the newly designed circuit boards create additional sensitivity that detects minute levels of condensation)

The changes FF has made are definitely NOT improvements.

If I buy another fan I will most likely change to another brand.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
A brand I haven't seen come up often is Shurflow. I was given one by the local Airstream dealer about 6-7 years ago, as I had a credit with them, and I installed it. It's a powered vent, and replaced the stock unit (which was just an opening vent). A simple model with variable speed - no reverse, no rain sensor, etc. - it's worked fine. I don't know if they still make them. I imagine it's the same company that makes the water pumps.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
2017 FC 25'

I've struggled with these fans. When they work, it's great. Sometimes they work

Despite adding aftermarket vent covers the humidity sensors are still problematic. Also, the thermostats are finicky. In a work moretroublethantheyarementtobe!

What are my options for replacement. I'd like to be done with the janky electronics. What's the best option for replacement even if it is simply a retrofit.
One option would be, if you have installed covers, just disconnect the rain sensor, a lot less expensive and less work installing than new fans
Old 02-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
One option would be, if you have installed covers, just disconnect the rain sensor, a lot less expensive and less work installing than new fans
Amen and pass the side cutters.
Here is how to do that:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fant...ml#post3277891
Old 02-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
My ole timer FF has a switch to turn the rain sensor on/off. If I want it to rain on my head, I just turn it off.

I had my second FF installed at the factory where we were treated like royalty. After Quickly and competently installing the new one, he started eyeballing the original thirteen year old one. ( they had previously sent me a complete fan assembly and motor including the wire nuts I would need !! And talked me through the process )

“...but it was MY fault it broke...it’s 13 years old...”

“ we don’t care about that, sir. What is that shipping address.”

Back at the factory, “ have you noticed this crack in the lift motor housing? He asked.

“ Oh yeah,” I lied. “But it still works.”

Zip Zip went the power screwdriver and the offending part was stuffed in the scrap box.

“I’ve never Seen a lift bar bent this way...?

“Oh, that MIGHT have happened when the awning got blown over the top of the trailer up at the Soo...”

Zip Zip

“The temperature sensor doesn’t seem to be working...”

“ yeah, but I hardly ever used it...”

“ it’s probably the motherboard...”

THE MOTHERBOARD....here we go...” I thought, having heard that at the computer store...

ZIP ZIP CLIP CLIP.

He returns with a handful of parts and a shiny new trim piece dangling on his arm..

“ Your old one is yellowed; it won’t match the new one in the back.”

Zip Zip Zip Zip

“ the only problem, he laments, is we don’t have a new white screen to match...”

“Oh that’s fine I can live with it” I fairly scream having already been assured that all this was free, ...gratis ...our family to your family...thanks for doing business with us.

“Oh no. As soon as the girls get back from break they’ll make you a new one. Thanks again. “

How many of the workers at that in Imlay Michigan plant were relatives of the original owner. This particular tech had traveled to many Airstream rallies and provided upgrades and repairs on site. I remember him standing on a stool in the bedroom reaching through the hole in the roof saying, “so this is a 1997 airstream safari…So the power will be right over here” and it Was.

After the sale, I had occasion to call the new owners with a question. In the process I asked them how many of the old employees moved down to Elkhart. The answer was none.

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote