Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
non reversing fantastic fan hack

I have searched the forum and find a few mentions of this "upgrade" and thought this might help someone. You might be asking why do I need this. I like to run one fan drawing air in and the other one pushing air out, when weather cooperates, windows can be closed. If you also have the outside covers it will work whether its raining or snowing... air circulation is amazing. Having the forward / reverse pre-set and using the thermostat they will can do this automatically when temperature rises to a certain point.

My fantastic fans on a 2013 IS 23FB have many features but do not reverse. ... they have the automatic lifting lid, a rain sensor, thermostat (cool to warm), on/off switch, speed control switch (0 to 3). This mod is for this type of Fantastic fan. But, the idea is the same for all.

To make it reversing is simple. You will need to buy a switch (link below), have on hand or buy enough wire to make 2 pieces about 16" long of 14 awg insulated stranded copper wire (nice if one was blue the other black), but color doesn't matter if you can keep it straight in your head. I will refer to them later as blue and black you will have to adapt to what you used if your's if different. You will also need four insulated 1/4" blade quick connectors (there are other sizes) - three female and one male of the proper AWG range (I used blue); a way to cut and strip the wire and a crimper for the insulated terminals. And a medium Phillips screwdriver, I think the tip is a #3.

Make up the 16" long wires like this: on the blue wire put a male on one end the female blade connector on the other. On the black wire put female blade connectors on both ends.

Next, lift the vent lid a minimum of half way up either manually or via the lift switch... then turn the power switch to off and turn speed control to 0.

Remove the screws holding the inside panel - the one with all the controls on it. No need to remove the outer square trim ring, but might help to remove the screen. If you've never done this, you will see a place in the screen ring that allows you to get a finger in there and then pull carefully all around till its off.

You will be removing the screws that hold the lift motor in place as well. Then carefully pull the panel down to gain access to the connections on the back side; in particular the on/off switch and speed control. You will wish you have three hands at some point.

Next, remove the old on/off switch from the panel... slip off the quick connectors first ... both were white on mine... one runs to the motor the other is the (-) ground from the trailer wiring; then pry with a small screwdriver on the switch ends while pulling the switch off the panel towards the front. The catches are on its narrow ends.

Next, pop in the new reversing switch into the same hole... it fits. Mine did. If not you might need to enlarge it.

On the speed control switch you will see a blue wire that goes to the fan motor, remove it from the controller. Plug the new blue wire you made up with the male connector and push it onto the fan's blue wire's female connector (I would tape this connection so it won't unplug).

Then plug the new black wire you made up to the pin on the speed control you just removed the blue fan wire from.

Route both wires towards the new switch.

Now, connect the white that you took off the on/off switch that runs to the trailer wiring and plug into the - ground pin of the new switch.

Next, plug the black wire that you made up to the + DC of the new switch.

Next, plug the other white that came off of the on/off switch that runs to the fan motor and plug it into either of the Motor pins of the new switch and lastly plug the blue wire into the other motor pin of the new switch.

At this point I would test to be sure it works (lid was already up, right?). With the thermostat turned all the way towards cool (blue) and the speed control on "1", flip the new (3 position) switch all the way towards either direction and the fan should run. Then flip the new switch to off until the fan ceases to spin (or nearly) then flip it all the way in the other direction and the fan should run in the other direction.

If it passes, put it back together. As you fit the panel back into the hole, be careful to tuck all the wires inside as you go. The rain sensor wires are the easiest to miss. If they hang out the will hit the fan and make a heck of a noise. Put the screws back with the lift motor lastly as you replace all screws.

Test again. You might want to label the positions (air in - air out) of your choice or not.

The reversing switch I used is the GAMA 129-PR-MTD. It is a heavy duty 30 amp switch. Over kill, I was going for the size and type. You can get it directly from GAMA for $9.95 plus shipping or from Amazon with shipping for $16.95. I had two fans so I ordered two each.

Wire I had on hand but you can buy from various stores but I would NOT use solid copper. Same with the 1/4" connectors and crimper - automotive, hardware stores should have them. I used blue which works for 12 - 16 awg stranded copper wire. I show a photo of blue female for reference below.

I am attaching the link to GAMA and a picture which I also captured from this product on their site.

https://www.gamainc.com/product/129-pr-mtd/

WW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	129 switch.png
Views:	137
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	318330   Click image for larger version

Name:	blue crimp on.png
Views:	216
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	318332  

Name:	female terminal.png
Views:	193
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	318334  
Old 07-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nice write up! reverse polarity on the fan!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Thanks for the write up. There is also another great mod (search around for it) to replace the speed selector with a variable switch to control the speed of the fan from barely on to full speed. Need to get the right switch to avoid a whining noise, that's covered in the thread. Having this mod, plus the variable switch, gives you the whole enchilada as far as control goes.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Thanks! I noticed the lack of reverse when we got or new to us 2016 this spring. Just replaced the switches in both fans in about 45 min with your instructions.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Thanks from me, did this mod with ease today, also took me ~45 mins including reading this thread again and making the jumper wires. First fan took me 20 mins, second about 10 mins.

The fantastic fan in our 2016 19' flying cloud had a red motor wire and a white motor wire. This was the only difference from the instructions in this thread.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona

Just tried this on my 2018 27FB.

The white wires on the existing on/off switch which should run to the motor and trailer ground did not on my fan.

One ran to a switch on the vent lid (appears to toggle when open/closed) and the other white wire goes to the thermostat switch.

I tried a couple of things with no love. Decided best to ask. Put it all back and restore original function.

Ideas?
Old 08-29-2018, 01:07 AM   #7
Wolfwhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post

The white wires on the existing on/off switch which should run to the motor and trailer ground did not on my fan.

One ran to a switch on the vent lid (appears to toggle when open/closed) and the other white wire goes to the thermostat switch.

I tried a couple of things with no love. Decided best to ask. Put it all back and restore original function.

Ideas?
UncleBad, From what I can determine "all" AS came with non-reversible fantastic fans do to some code requirement... different from similar over the counter models. Another member reports his fan motor wire colors were red and white, where mine are blue and white, but other than that the mod worked for that person.

Is your fan is factory original, does it only have an on/off (thus no reversing or "in / out" switch?

Also, can you tell me where on the fan the white (ground) wire runs to. To me, the main purpose of the on/off switch is to remove power from the fan via the ground side.
WW
Old 08-29-2018, 03:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:

Ideas?

I just did this mod. My setup was the same as you with one white wire going to the motor and one white wire going to the thermostat. That white wire which goes to the thermostat seems to be GND. I tested the white wire which goes to the thermostat and confirmed it buzzes out as gnd.

That's how I hooked it up.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I just did this mod. My setup was the same as you with one white wire going to the motor and one white wire going to the thermostat. That white wire which goes to the thermostat seems to be GND. I tested the white wire which goes to the thermostat and confirmed it buzzes out as gnd.

That's how I hooked it up.

I did not have a white wire going to the motor. One went to the vent lid switch and the other to the thermostat.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post

Is your fan is factory original, does it only have an on/off (thus no reversing or "in / out" switch?

Also, can you tell me where on the fan the white (ground) wire runs to. To me, the main purpose of the on/off switch is to remove power from the fan via the ground side.

WW

Factory original, 2018 27FB TB, with on/off switch only, thus my attempt to reverse.

I had an 95 AS Land Yacht and loved the reversing fans!

The wires from the on/off switch go:
1 - up to vent lid toggle switch which appears to cut power when vent lid is shut

2 - around the circle to the other side where and is connected to the thermostat board.

I really appreciate the help everyone and hope to get this working.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
I did not have a white wire going to the motor. One went to the vent lid switch and the other to the thermostat.

The white wire that goes to vent lid switch is the other motor wire.

White that goes to the thermostat is the gnd.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
The white wire that goes to vent lid switch is the other motor wire.

White that goes to the thermostat is the gnd.

I will give that a shot and report back. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Here is a diagram that might help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1693.jpg
Views:	1821
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	321181  
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Happy to report I now have a reversing Fan which is Fantastic!
Old 08-31-2018, 05:20 AM   #15
Wolfwhistle

Thanks to snowy and Hiho. Lots of Fantastic fan models out there.
WW
Old 08-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
Thanks to snowy and Hiho. Lots of Fantastic fan models out there.
WW

And you too for the excellent write up! We will be using this for sure at the lake this weekend!
Old 08-31-2018, 07:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
This was the commercial that popped up in my AS Forum thread with your post!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	non_reversing_fantastic_fan_hack_-_Page_2_-_Airstream_Forums.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	321226  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #18
Wolfwhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
this was the commercial that popped up in my as forum thread with your post!
lol!