Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2004, 05:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
no AC, can we put in a fan? on top

Our new argosy has no AC. can we put a bathroom type fan to pull out the hot air out and cool air in throught the window(s)? Will it fit in the same place as the AC (Its all set up to recieve the AC) and will a bathroom type fan work or do we need a special one for RVs? THANKS
Old 05-21-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
A/c

It cost me $1000 to install a roof top, 15,000 btu A/C in my 26' Argosy TT. I wish I had installed two 6,000 btu window units at $100ea. The operating cost would have been less than half. I have had two service calls on the roof top. First was $300, second was $125. The only reason I found someone to make a house call, was the guy services all my property. You will need A/C. You can always put a box fan on the floor.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The opening is 14x14, standard for rv fans and ACs. A bath fan would work with a lot of modifications and short falls, an rv fan would slip right in but you would need dc power to hook it up. There should be wires from lights close enough that you can tap in. Fantastic Fans are the best, move the most air, quietest, etc. but quit a bit more expensive. Standard RV fans make a lot of noise and move air, but not nearly enough.

I agree you will really need AC. Trailers are pretty small and there is not much airflow, still humid afternoons can be miserable; that is before the rain comes and you have to fire up the stove to cook.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
no AC, can we put in a fan? on top

Greetings outerbanksdeb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerbanksdeb
Our new argosy has no AC. can we put a bathroom type fan to pull out the hot air out and cool air in throught the window(s)? Will it fit in the same place as the AC (Its all set up to recieve the AC) and will a bathroom type fan work or do we need a special one for RVs? THANKS
I don't think that you would really want to put a household type exhaust fan in your Argosy - - when there are much better units (IMHO) available made specifically for RVs. The Fantastic Vent ventilator fans are made to replace the existing roof vents and can be opened just like the existing roof vent or used along with the fan. There are several models available some of which have reversible motors (allowing both intake or exhaust settings); rain sensors that will automatically close the vent and turn off the fan when it rains or when heavy dew falls (then will reopen the vent and turn on the fan when the moisture threat is over); thermostatic control is also available that will turn the fan on and off based on a thermostat setting that you can control. I have two of these fans in my '64 Overlander (installed at the WBCCI International Rally in Dayton, Ohio -1999), and plan to have one installed in my Minuet (there is only one vent opening in the Minuet) at this year's International Rally. These vents really live up to their "Fantastic" name as they move a tremendous amount of air much more quietly than the stock vent fans that were provided by Airstream/Argosy (at least in my experience).

You can find out more about Fantastic Vents and Endless Breeze Fans by checking out their website. I also have two of their Endless Breeze Fans and have been thoroughly satisfied with them as well!

Just as a side note, an air conditioner install in Argosy as well as Airstream travel trailers of the period was not made in one of the exisiting vent openings. The wiring and drain tubing was terminated at a point measured from the main roof bow (intersection of front dome and main roof panels) rear-ward - - the opening for the air conditioner was then cut in the roof. There should be the 12-volt wiring very near each of the roof vents in your rig as factory vent fans were an option on Argosy coaches where they weren't a standard feature. The side benefit to using the 12-volt Fantastic Vents is that you are not tied to having shore power for them to be operational.

Good luck with your "cooling" decision!

Kevin

P.S.: I have Coleman air conditioners on both of my coaches, and have never had a service call, and both are run nearly continuously all summer. The air conditioner on the Airstream will soon be six years old, and the air conditioner on the Minuet will be two years old this fall. The only disadvantage to the Colemans is that there isn't a condesate drain pan availabe for the models that my dealer recommended for my coaches.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote