Old 12-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
NewBie Question

The '79 Sovereign has 3 vents (bedroom-kitchen-living). Only one has a fan (kitchen). We will be staying in a variety of climates from the 40's to 100's.

We are going to replace with Fan-Tastic 7350 (with remote). How many of the vents should have a fan?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
As many as you can afford. There are times when you'll want to run all three and at other times you will run different ones based on where you are sitting, etc.... If you can only afford one, put it in the bedroom.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
As many as you can afford. There are times when you'll want to run all three and at other times you will run different ones based on where you are sitting, etc.... If you can only afford one, put it in the bedroom.
Yup, I second that. When it's hot at night, I run the one over the bed in reverse. It's just like sleeping under a ceiling fan. There is a thermostat by the bed that I can set so the fan turns itself off when the outside temp cools down.

My Classic has one up front and one over the bed. I'd hate to be without either of them.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Thank you Bob and terryV.

The Fan-Tastic 7350 has a variable speed thermostat control. This is the only Fan-Tastic fan that I can find with built in thermostat.

Would like to put in three of the 7350's but they are a bit more. Is there a combination of different Fan-Tastic's that would be ideal for someone on a budget?
Old 12-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
Thank you Bob and terryV.

The Fan-Tastic 7350 has a variable speed thermostat control. This is the only Fan-Tastic fan that I can find with built in thermostat.

Would like to put in three of the 7350's but they are a bit more. Is there a combination of different Fan-Tastic's that would be ideal for someone on a budget?
I'd put the thermostatically controlled one in the bedroom and the less expensive non-thermostatically controlled one(s) in the other locations.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I don't know if this makes a difference, but my front fan has a built in thermostat, and you turn the knob to selsct the colored bars on the fan housing.

My bedroom fan has a thermostat on the wall like a furnace would have. You set it to the temp that you want the fan to turn off or on. That seems like the thermostat is not actually built in.

That's really all I know about these things. I hope it helps.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Thanks Bob. Would it be a good idea for one or both to have the reverse feature?

Thanks terryV. Are both of the fans you use Fan-Tastic brand?

Thank you both again
Old 12-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Thanks Bob. Would it be a good idea for one or both to have the reverse feature?

Thank you both again
Our fan does not have a reverse feature but for the bedroom fan I think that would be a nice option. It would be like a ceiling fan!
Old 12-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have two FantasticFans. One is over the dining table and has a thermostat, rain switch and motor driven OPEN/CLOSE mechanism. The other is over the bed and is an economy model without these extras. Both are multi-speed with reverse switches.

During the heat of the day, one or both are set to blow IN or OUT, depending on the desired/most effective airflow.

If door(s) and/or windows are closed, one fan is set to IN, and the other to OUT, to allow free airflow. If less flow is desired, one of the fans can be left OFF.

On warm nights, we usually leave the vent over the bed OPEN, with the fan motor OFF; and we turn the fan over the dining table ON and set it to blow OUT or IN, depending on which provides the desired amount of cooling in the bedroom. This keeps the fan noise in the dining area of our Bambi, and makes it a little quieter in the bedroom.

If it gets cool enough overnight where you want to turn the fan OFF, set the fan with the thermostat to blow IN and set the thermostat to a little cooler than the desired cut-off temperature. Then, when you get cold enough to get up to turn the fan off, set the fan to where it just toggles ON and OFF. After that, leave the thermostat at that position.

You may have to experiment a little with the settings to achieve the desired temperature, but after you find what works, you won't have to get up in the middle of the night to turn the fan OFF.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The next time you think the FantasticFan is broken because the fan won't run, remember to check the thermostat. The thermostat switch might be cutting off power to the fan motor.

If you have a FantasticFan that does not have an IN/OUT switch, I think Fantastic Vent offers an inexpensive kit that adds this feature, which is easily installed.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Thank you All for the help.

We have one 7350 on order. Our Christmas present to ourselves. We will keep an eye out for the sales to get the other two.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:

Thank you both again
Well, I'm pretty sure both are Fan-Tastic brand, both have reverse, and both have rain sensors. I'll go out to the barn and check that out.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Yes, they are both Fan Tastic brand fans. The one in the bedroom may be the forerunner to the remote model. The wall thermostat says Fan Tastic Vent by Honeywell on it.

The one in the front has all the features except remote. You must reach up to the fan and turn knobs and push switches.

The one in the bedroom has the wall thermostat that controls the temp setting, and if you put it in "off" mode, the fan will shut down and close up. But you have to climb on the bed to change the flow direction, and fan speed.

The new ones with remote look pretty nice.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Thanks terryV for going out and looking.

We are hoping for end of season/Christmas sales to get the other two.