Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Need skylight information

I need to replace the skylight lens that Airstream installed on my 2006 Safari Special Edition, the approximate $350 optional skylight near the galley ceiling. It is a smoke lens that would take exactly a 25" square box to hold it. I haven't taken the old one off but it looks like there is a mass of caulk covering four screws or some kind fasteners on each of the four sides. Anybody know the make and model of the lens cover? I'm not dying to pay up from the local dealer; I'd like to buy it over the internet from some RV supply place if I knew what to order. Thanks for any comments!

P.S.--If somebody has taken one off, I'd like to know the technique to get all that caulk out of the way and if there are any special consideration in removing whatever kind of fasteners are underneath that caulk.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Airstream factory caulk hell....

some greater minds and more experienced hands might have a better approach than mine, based on my removing the first of two 14" roof vents. what a pita the first one was, but based on that project, here's how I'm going to approach the second one -

first, I'd cut the caulk at the perimeter of the vent with a construction knife perpendicular to the roof, and then

go inside and after removing the inside trim, use my construction knife again, blade parallel to the roof, to cut as much as I can between the flange and the roof, and then

with the thinnest, sharpest , flexible blade putty knife I can find & sharpen, use that with a small hammer to separate the rest of the way out to the outside of the flange.

after getting the vent off, I first used a razor blade scraper, and then a 3M "stripe off wheel" to get the last of the caulk off (which worked really nicely!) see 3M Stripe Off Wheel 07499, 4 in x 5/8 in

also, and at a guess, there's probably more screws hiding under the caulk, but you should be able to locate them after removing the inside trim.

if there's a better way, I'd be happy to learn! thanks in advance for your help!

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Airstream workers drive the screws down so tight that they crack the the plastic under the screws leading to leaks. Don't replace your skylight with the OEM skylight. Maxim out of Florida and Texas will make you a double domed Bronze skylight with Aluminum curb that will literally withstand a hurricane for less than $300.00. Plus it will filter out a lot of the Uv rays and keep your unit cooler. Ask me how I know. These are the skylights Airstream should be installing at the factory.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Mine had about 4 screws on each side with dabs of caulk on the screw head.
I pealed off the dabs of caulk with a putty knife and removed the screws. Then I popped the skylight off. My skylight was cracked prior to removal and when removing it came off mostly in one piece. It was very flimsy.

I then cleaned the mounting surface-removing the caulk with putty knife and wire brush.

Be extra careful of the trim on the inside of the skylight tunnel. It is very tender, eggshell like, and gets worse with sun exposure.

I used the skylight sold by Inland RV. It is much heavier material than the original. I drilled holes in new skylight to match location of the originals. I used bead of vulkem between skylight and roof, and then put the dabs of vulkem on top of the screws.

The Inland RV skylight is a year old now and still looks new. It is relatively dark material, darker than the stock skylight.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...ht+replacement take a look at this thread. After reading this I callked Maxium and ordered one for my 25' Classic. a top quality product. Doesn't get any better than this. My OEM skylight was leaking and the dealer sent me a replacement that I ended up giving away.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote