Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Cottage Grove , Minnesota
Need Bath Fan Reinstall Help!

Hello all:

I have learned a lot by reading all these forums, but I need some help now. My in-laws have a 31' 1978 Sovereign rear bath that they have owned for one year. The bath fan (the round 6 inch variety, that i think is original) had been making a lot of noise and the handle is broken. I offered to try and fix it for them since I know I can order a replacement handle and plan to. But I ran into a problem.

I removed the interior trim, then the screen and discovered a few bee/hornet nests and other 30 plus years of garbage. I think this is the reason for all the noise, but I continued to remove screws, being careful to make notes of how it all went together, to make sure all the junk was out of there.

However, once I removed the brackets (one on each side) that secure the fan motor to the fan housing things kinda unraveled. The bracket I am referring to is sort of that flatted out "L" or maybe a kind of flattend out "S" shaped bracket that on one end of it there are two holes that secure it to the fan housing with two small phillips screws and on the other end of the bracket is a hole where one of the fan motor's threaded posts would go through to secure the motor to the bracket with a nut. There is also one hole that I believe the fan screen is anchored to with sheet metal screws. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, once I loosend this bracket two pieces of metal that i wasn't able to see from the inside fell out. One piece I think acts to center the fan in the opening, and I think I know how to reinstall, the other is a thin rectangular piece of metal about an inch or so long with a small tab on each end. I have no idea what this piece is/does or how it is installed and how to reinstall. I couldn't see them (one on each side of fan) and didn't know they were there. My first guess is that it is some sort of shim? But I have no idea. Has anyone dissassembled a bath fan lately to clean the housing and know what this is? Can anyone describe how to reinstall? I really need the help.

By the way, once I had all the crap out of the fan housing, I flipped the switch on the fan and it purred right along. So i think if I can just figure out what the heck these retangular pieces with the tabs on each end I will be good to go.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Bryan
AS_Dreamin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS_Dreamin' View Post
Hello all:

I have learned a lot by reading all these forums, but I need some help now. My in-laws have a 31' 1978 Sovereign rear bath that they have owned for one year. The bath fan (the round 6 inch variety, that i think is original) had been making a lot of noise and the handle is broken. I offered to try and fix it for them since I know I can order a replacement handle and plan to. But I ran into a problem.

I removed the interior trim, then the screen and discovered a few bee/hornet nests and other 30 plus years of garbage. I think this is the reason for all the noise, but I continued to remove screws, being careful to make notes of how it all went together, to make sure all the junk was out of there.

However, once I removed the brackets (one on each side) that secure the fan motor to the fan housing things kinda unraveled. The bracket I am referring to is sort of that flatted out "L" or maybe a kind of flattend out "S" shaped bracket that on one end of it there are two holes that secure it to the fan housing with two small phillips screws and on the other end of the bracket is a hole where one of the fan motor's threaded posts would go through to secure the motor to the bracket with a nut. There is also one hole that I believe the fan screen is anchored to with sheet metal screws. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, once I loosend this bracket two pieces of metal that i wasn't able to see from the inside fell out. One piece I think acts to center the fan in the opening, and I think I know how to reinstall, the other is a thin rectangular piece of metal about an inch or so long with a small tab on each end. I have no idea what this piece is/does or how it is installed and how to reinstall. I couldn't see them (one on each side of fan) and didn't know they were there. My first guess is that it is some sort of shim? But I have no idea. Has anyone dissassembled a bath fan lately to clean the housing and know what this is? Can anyone describe how to reinstall? I really need the help.

By the way, once I had all the crap out of the fan housing, I flipped the switch on the fan and it purred right along. So i think if I can just figure out what the heck these retangular pieces with the tabs on each end I will be good to go.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Bryan
Bryan.

After 32 years or so, I would feel much better by replacing that bath fan assembly.

There is no way you can determine what life it may have left.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
bath fan help

Thanks for the reponse.....

You're right, don't know the useful life remaining, but for for 12 bucks i can have a handle shipped to me vs $80 for a new fan. if it lasts two years,great, if it only lasts 2 months, then i still think that is worth the chance.

Any ideas on what the parts were that i described and how to reinstall?

Otherwise, i will just have to wing it....not afraid of that either.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
did you see this today?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...tml#post836687
Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
did you see this today...

yes thanks. i think i need an anatomy of a bath fan picture. I think that will help.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
i think i figured it out....

i think the two peices of metal that fell out are spacers. once i get back on top of the trailer, i'll have to remove the vent cover, then the fan blade. install the spacers, then reinstall the fan blade making sure it is centered and adjust as needed. tighten it all up and replace handle and away we go. i might even install insect screen on the top (if possible) and at least a thing foam weather strip to keep further critters out.