Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Masontown , West Virginia
Mold/Mildew Between Skylite Components

Having searched w/o sucess, the issue is the formation of what appears to be mold on the inside of the exterior component ( the one affixed with what looks to be two sided tape) of the skylight over the camper's "lounge area".

Short of attempting to remove the offending piece of plastic - loosening the tape w/o fracturing the plastic - and cleaning it, is there any way to address this problem? More importantly perhaps, how do you keep it from happening?

As of now, there is no discoloration or other problem with the skylight, so replacing it totally is not necessary - - if I destroy the cover in attempting a fix, then a Maxim would be a next step. I'd rather put that off for a while...............

Recommendations welcomed.

Bill

2016 F250 6.2L
TAC # WV-2
MountaineerStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Masontown , West Virginia
Bump and Additional Question

If I'm the only one with this issue, let me ask explicitly how you would separate the top (outside) cover that is fastened with the two-sided tape. Heat seems like it should work, but its effect on the plastic gives me pause - I'd hate to have to replace the whole unit.

Thoughts? Experience?

Many thanks.

Bill

2016 F250 6.2L
TAC # WV-2
MountaineerStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Mold means moisture, so likely the original skylight needs replacing. Kevin (Bambi_Bandit) started a thread in 2009 with wonderful pictures of what you will find up there when you go on the roof to investigate the problem. The thread is "Step by step: Replacing OEM skylights with new custom Maxim skylights" I would tag the thread for you, but haven't figured out how to do that. While replacing may not be your goal, it may be your best option as the originals don't last long. You have a 2011, which means they are getting some age. We have a 2006 that was kept under covered storage it's whole life before we bought from the PO in 2011. In those 5 years, seeing very little sun( they only used it 3 times before illness put her in storage), the skylights were toast. At any rate, the afore mentioned thread has great pics to help you determine what you need to do to remove. If you decide to replace, the Maxims are made of polycarbonate, not plastic and are far superior. Good luck with your project.