Old 06-11-2004, 10:52 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Maurice:

I'm at work too - at least for another hour or so - and then my wife and I are retiring!
I was playing with the fan last night while I was more seriously engaged in resolving my water heater problem. The fan was a lower priority!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #30
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Do the fantastic fans have insect screens?

Old 06-11-2004, 12:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Yes, removable for cleaning. Read about them here.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:42 PM   #32
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Thanks, Maurice.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:10 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
I installed a Fantastic (http://www.fantasticvent.com/) in the forward air hatch of the 345.

I needed the light where my unit is parked (under a carport), and I suspect a "solar shade" type of horizontal curtain or a plastic insert (like a window tint) could be installed if heat through the clear dome becomes an issue.

There is a member here within the Forums that sells through the mail. (http://www.airforums.com/forum...fantastic+vent) I purchased mine from him. Excellent communication, good price, delivery as promised..
Hi Dennis,
I posted an idea I had to cover the screen area of the Fantastic Vent-it works--cheap solution--easy to do. Fantastic cover?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I'm relatively new to Fantastic Fans since we just got our 1st Airstream about a month ago.

One concern that I had about them before we bought our new Airstream, however, was keeping fresh air in the trailer when you are towing, when it is in storage, or when it is raining when your camping (and you may not want to have a window open for whatever reason).

We solved the fresh air issue when our unit is being stored, by keeping the roof vents open since we have our trailer stored inside, with 16' ceilings, in a self storage unit that remains cool even in the summer.

However, we'll soon be towing and staying in our trailer across the western US for the rest of the summer, and the daytime temperatures will reach 100+ degrees some of the time.

WE had Maxxair covers on all the vents of our former SOB that we just left open when we travelled, and it didn't matter if it rained, etc. so we never had this concern and always had fresh air in the trailer (although it could be hot air at times).

Is the an issue, and if so what is the solution(s)?

John
Old 06-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher

However, we'll soon be towing and staying in our trailer across the western US for the rest of the summer, and the daytime temperatures will reach 100+ degrees some of the time.
WE had Maxxair covers on all the vents of our former SOB that we just left open when we travelled, and it didn't matter if it rained, etc. so we never had this concern and always had fresh air in the trailer (although it could be hot air at times).
Is the an issue, and if so what is the solution(s)?
John
Hi John,
The cover I was referring to in my previous post was in regards to covering the screen on a Fantastic Vent to keep light from entering if it was bothering you while resting, etc.

Fantastic Vent Corp does not recommend putting covers over their vents for they claim it decreases the performance of the fan. There are many many people however that put covers over their Fantastics to provide all the time open ventilation. There is a new cover available called an Areoflo which many have raved to me about. Some people don't like covers just because they don't like the way they look. Go figure I would suggest you do what you are comfortable with doing.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:54 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
....... There is a new cover available called an Areoflo which many have raved to me about.
Scott:

Do you have a url that would take me to a description and/or a sales outlet for the "Areoflo"?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:40 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Scott:

Do you have a url that would take me to a description and/or a sales outlet for the "Areoflo"?
Hi Dennis,
Sorry about the spelling it should read aero-flo, they are made by Camco and sold through various RV dealers. I think CW offers them. Do a search on google, yahoo, msn or ask jeeves. I have not seen one up close and personal so have no opinion as to quality, features are interesting such as lift up lid though.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:44 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Talking Adventures in fans!

We just got home from an extended set of dog shows to find our new automatic fan waiting for us. It is one of the new MaxxFans. Now we need to figure out how to install it; and where (living room, kitchen, or bedroom).
Why the MaxxFan you ask? Well, funny story, that. I dropped an email to the company asking if they had trim strips for their products to be installed in an older Airstream. The answer was, Not yet, but we are very interested in the Airstream market. Would you be interested in installing a free unit in your tt, providing us only photos of how you did it? Is the Pope catholic? I replied.
So. Now we will begin the adventure of installing this new product in our almost vintage (1983 Exella) 31 foot unit.....
More information on this fan is here:
http://maxxair.com/products/MaxxFan.aspx

Eliabeth in Iowa
Old 06-18-2004, 04:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I wish I'd have known about MaxxFan's before we had the Fantastic Fans installed on our Airstream because I would have liked to at least considered that as an alternative to the Fantastics. I think the smoke colored MaxxFan would look good on the top of the Airstream, and being able to shield out rain when open and having the fan running seems like having the best of both worlds.

At $279 suggested retail it is a bit pricey though, and I wonder how well they work. I'd sure like to see some side-by-side comparisons.

(Scott - sorry for my initial confusion about your post, and hope I'm not diverting from your intended subject.)

John
Old 06-22-2004, 10:17 AM   #40
Sue 1235

2003 34' Classic
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
I have had several Fantastic fans. On the newer models there is a hand crank in the corner, pull it for manua mode, open the cover junt until the fan comes on blowing OUT and you can leave it running in the rain. Crack some windows and you will get good airflow.
I have never seen a maxfan so I can't comment on that.
WBCCI #1235
Sue Yeutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:50 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Maxxfan installation

I just completed installing a Maxxfan on my 21 foot Sovereign. It turned out great! Easy to follow instructions coupled with a well designed product makes life easy!
I chose the Maxxfan over the Fantastic because it can be left open and operating while traveling. The design is such that it can also be left open during the rain. Anyone traveling with pets will appreciate these features. So if you are considering a vent upgrade, give the Maxxfan a look. It is a good way to go!
Old 06-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Cool!

Sounds great. Pics???

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote