Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Maxxfan installation

I just completed installing a Maxxfan on my 21 foot Sovereign. It turned out great! Easy to follow instructions coupled with a well designed product makes life easy!
I chose the Maxxfan over the Fantastic because it can be left open and operating while traveling. The design is such that it can also be left open during the rain. Anyone traveling with pets will appreciate these features. So if you are considering a vent upgrade, give the Maxxfan a look. It is a good way to go!
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:49 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Cool!

Sounds great. Pics???

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:30 PM   #43
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I also bought the Maxxfans rather than the Fantastic Fans, mostly because of the ability to leave the vents open all the time. Another factor was to remove a potential point of failure in the event the F-fans didn't close automatically, for one reason or another.

I just got back from a trip to the NE, and enjoyed a wide variety of weather. We went from heat, rain, drought, cold (well, cool, anyway) - We were glad the A/C, furnace, and fans all worked when called upon.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
We need to get a fan for the Rockin' A classic moho, and the MaxxFans look good. I am concerned about splashback from the roof into the fan--has anyone had this happen? We live in the land of the toad-strangler rainstorms...

Okay, it's been a few years since the last post to this topic. Any updated reports on FantasticFans vs. MaxxFans? Anyone like one over the other, and for what reason?

Thanks!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have two Fantastic Vent Fans on my '87 Sovereign 25' and they work great. I do want to mount a black MaxxAir vent cover over the rear Fantastic Vent Fan to allow the unit to operate fully when it is raining and to block out some of the moon light when sleeping at night.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #46
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Venting

Just a note

2 years ago, I called Fantastic Fan about ordering a new vent cover, mine developed a crack, I was fully prepared to pay for a new one, to my surprise they sent one over no charge!

A few months ago, I had a problem with the 12 year old Fantastic Fan.
After taking it apart, I found the trouble to be the little gearbox.

I removed it, I also checked the vent cover lift motor, it checked out ok.

Now this unit is 12 years old, so when I called this time about ordering the gear box, I again fully expected to pay for the part.

To my surprise, they are not only sending the gearbox, they are also sending me a new lift motor, NO CHARGE.

Now I know a few of us are looking for roof vents, I myself thought about a Maxxi Fan for the front vent.

Now the other power vents look fine and all, BUT if we do not support a company like Fantastic Fan, which bends over backwards to support its product and customers with free replacement parts after 12 years, we will get just what we deserve, China!

I've had the same delightful experience with Moen and Zip-Dee.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:27 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The only thing I'm not totally happy about on my FF is that the rain sensor closing it in the morning when there is heavy dew. And it would be nice to run it in the rain- but I haven't tried the manual-part-way-open trick yet.

I've been thinking of adding a second powered vent to replace the non-powered one in the bedroom and was thinking of using a Maxxfan there (Although i'd miss looking at a few stars through the open vent).
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I've had the same experience as ArtStream with Fantastic Vents parts. I am on my 3rd motor and gearbox, and they keep replacing them for free!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Don't put Maxxair over Fantastic Fan . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
... I do want to mount a black MaxxAir vent cover over the rear Fantastic Vent Fan to allow the unit to operate fully when it is raining and to block out some of the moon light when sleeping at night.
Hi Craig:

At Bozeman this year, the Fantastic Fan booth had a sign that stated "Do Not Put Maxxair Vent Over Fantastic Fan." So before doing that, I suggest you call the FF factory to learn the reason for that warning.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Hi Craig:

At Bozeman this year, the Fantastic Fan booth had a sign that stated "Do Not Put Maxxair Vent Over Fantastic Fan." So before doing that, I suggest you call the FF factory to learn the reason for that warning.
Thanks Fred, I'll give them a call next week and find out why they don't recommend it.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i've also gotten great phone help and free replacement parts from Fantastic. i wish every company in the U.S.operated like they do. I have vent covers mounted slightly off the roof and run the fan on low to avoid loading up the fan motor trying to push a lot of air through the cover screen. the vent will also keep the lid from opening fully.

i'm curious as to what they tell you.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Well, back in 2004, we still had the '68 Overlander...had 2 FanFans installed...HUGE difference, and one only has to remember the noise generated by the old vents to place 'noise' in perspective. We upgraded to an '89 MoHo(345), and when the middle vent cover blew off somewhere between Farmington and Tucson, we had the whole unit replaced with a FanFan...when priorities and finances are mutual, we'll put in a rear FanFan...the option of rainguard is a good thing, and while the MaxFan cover is a nice option, FanFan still gets our vote...manual setting is good enough as a cover.
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #53
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I have one of these MaxxAir units on my Argosy.

It was installed by the previous owner. I love it, and have had no issues running it in the rain. no splashing, etc. Dislike is it's very tall. This would not bother me if the Argosy had an AC unit, but it doesn't so it looks even bigger than it is.

Now I wonder why I can't put this

or this

over my Fantastic Fan installed by the previous owner of my Overlander? Then enjoy the FF in the rain.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
It is my understanding that the last two examples of MaxxAir units will not allow the Fantastic Vent Fan from opening all the way. This might bend the arm or crack the FV dome if you didn't catch it in time i.e. manually open it.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Lots of good info, thanks!

One clarification--I am trying to compare the MaxxFAN (not the MaxxAir vent cover) with the Fantastic Fan. They are very similar.

MaxxFan product link

MaxxFan:
Click image for larger version

Name:	MaxxFan.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	64479 Click image for larger version

Name:	MaxxFan 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	64481

Fantastic Fan product link

Fantastic Fan:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FFan model_6000.gif
Views:	121
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	64480

They have the same features/options (thermostat control, rain sensor and remote), except the MaxxFan is designed to work in the rain while the FF is not.

Thanks!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47weewind
Hi Craig:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
Thanks Fred, I'll give them a call next week and find out why they don't recommend it.
My neighbor at Bozeman had a reverse motor installed in her Fantastic Vent and they removed the dealer installed Maxxair hood. They told her it does not allow sufficient air flow for the Fantastic vent. I have also heard that covering the vent traps air and causes excessive heat.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #57
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Alumatube that new MaxxAir fan is sweet. $300 though. I'll have to wait until they come down a bit.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Our Safari is at the dealers for some fixes and I decided to have them replace the nearly-new FF w/rain sensor that we had them install in the rear of the trailer when we bought it last Fall. I made the mistake of going with the FF because that's what comes installed in Airstreams (our trailer came with a manual FF installed in the front living area).

I figured Airstream must know what they're doing, but I guess I was wrong. We were not impressed with the FF -- even with the rain sensor. When it rains the vent closes OK but then circulation is cut off often right when you need it. Also, we can't leave the vents open when towing (I'm worried a severe cross-wind would rip the lid off) or expecially when in (outside) storage. We also thought the FF was kind of noisy even on its lowest setting.

We had two TurboMaxx fans in our SOB which we really liked, mainly because we could leave the vents open all the time -- while camping, towing and in storage -- and never have to worry about rain getting in. We also found the TurboMaxx fans quieter because they're outside the trailer.

I only hope the new MaxxFan works as well as the TurboMaxx. We shall see...

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1986 30' Airstream 300
B , Louisiana
I have just installed a new MaxxAir Fan and I am tickled pink. I like the ability to have a thermostat and three fan speeds to choose from as well as intake and exhaust options. I can't give any input on the Fantastic Fan, however, for I do not own one. Thanks!
jagcb750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
We picked up the trailer from the dealer today with the new MaxxFan installed. I posted some pics under "Garfield" in members photos...

http://www.airforums.com/photos/browseimages.php?c=500&userid=19566

The fan has the same features as the Fantastic Fan (3-speed, thermostat, reverse, and a manual control for opening/closing the vent) except for no rain sensor or vent closing/opening motor which is not needed because of the protective cover. The cover is open/shut manually by turning a knob. Once open/closed the vent can be locked by pushing on the same knob. When closing the vent the fan shuts off automatically.

I find the manual operation of the MaxxFan much more intuitive -- I was always trying to open/close the Fantastic Fan manually and ended up fighting the motor even though it was disengaged. Maybe I should have read the FF manual more carefully -- but you know what they say about us guys being too proud to read the instructions!

The MaxxAir's cover really does keep the rain out -- on the way home from the dealer the vent was open and I drove through a torrential downpour but not one drop of rain got inside the trailer. To prevent mustyness I plan on leaving the vent open all summer long and only close it over the winter.

The MaxxFan's fan, although mounted flush with the ceiling is a little quieter than the FF which will be nice for sleeping. The only downside of the MaxxFan is that it dosen't seem to push air with the same force as the FF -- likely due to the cover restricting air flow.

Still, I'm very pleased with the MaxxFan and will likely replace the FF in the front of the trailer in the Fall during the next service.

Cheers!
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote