Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Maxxair Standard Cover Over Fantastic Fan

OK, so we get the 2014 Sport 22 FB. It came standard with the base model Fantastic Fan, 3 speed, only blows out (not reversible). I purchased and installed a standard Maxxair cover over the vent. I made this choice due in part to the proximity of the vent cover to the TV antenna when the antenna is folded down. It is a close fit.

We usually run the fan on the lowest speed. I just do not see the issue with "reduced air flow" with using the standard cover on the Fantastic Fan. The fan does not sound like it is laboring any more than without the cover, and the airflow seems fine, even on higher speeds. I think this may be due in part to the fact that the install using the Maxxair brackets leaves the cover above the roof of the trailer just a bit. It does not sit flush against the roof. The instructions even mention this is to allow any condensation to escape out. The end result is that when the fan is on, air is blown out the actual vent louvers of the cover, as well as all around the base of the cover.

I just do not see the issue as discussed elsewhere on the Forum.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . .the Fantastic Fan instruction sheet included in my AS manual /book says not recommended. "Never place a Maxx-Air style cover over ceiling fan. Greatly reduced airflow, increased sound levels, & electronic component failure will occur (WILL not might !) un-quote. I too think that's odd, cause you sure see a lot of them on Airstreams ! regards, Craig
Old 08-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I think they ate just protecting their brand.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
They just want us to buy their cover. It is all about marketing.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
They just want us to buy their cover. It is all about marketing.
There is a little more to it.

I bought a Maxxair cover thinking what you said is true. I took it back after I found that the Maxxair cover does not allow the lid of a Fantastic fan to open fully. The Fantastic Ultrabreeze cover does cost more, but it is molded so that the Fantastic fan lid fits exactly into it, allowing the lid to open normally.

I think a mechanical failure eventually will occur in the automatic lift arm or its motor if a Fantastic fan is covered by any vent that stops the lid from opening fully.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use the MaxxAir II cover with its wrap-around grill design, very large opening. I think it may give better ventilation than any of the others and may be more effective regardless of wind direction. But it's most likely six of one and half dozen of the other.

No water enters even in blowing rain so the vent stays open all the time, never worry about it. That's the best part.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We had a MaxxAir cover on our 2005 for 7 years with no problems. We put one on the trailer we have now. I guess we shall see if we have problems or not.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I was not completely clear. Our fan is the base model and does not have the auto open feature, or the rain sensor. You just crank it open manually. I would agree that it might be a problem if the cover blocked the auto-open feature.

I think it is marketing also. I am going to go with it "as is" and see if that "electronic component failure" occurs. If so, I am just out a couple of bucks. BTW, the standard cover integrates well with the 22' Airstream. It looks good from the outside, and provides some light blocking inside. I think that the larger covers might be a bit out of proportion.

I don't know what I am concerned about. I live in S. Texas and will run the A/C 10 months out of the year.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Demo of "Ultra Breeze" vent cover, versus other brands:

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The powered fantastic opener stops when it meets resistance. That can be the end of the travel on the mechanism, a MaxxAir cover, or even grabbing the knob on the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I have watched that video before. My question is that in this video, they put the Maxxair type vent covers over the fan and flush to the mounting surface. That is not the way a Maxxair cover is installed. They are installed on offset "L" brackets that are mounted to the sides of the vent fan frame. When the cover is then bolted to the brackets, there is a gap of perhaps 1/8" to 1/4" between the bottom edge of the cover and the actual roof, depending on the curve of the roof. That gap has to allow for more airflow. When the fan is running, you can feel air being expelled all around the edges of the cover. The install instructions say this gap is designed this way to allow condensation to escape from under the vent. Makes sense.

I am going to conclude that this is a non-issue for me, and worry about something more substantive, like meteor strikes on my endcaps. It seems that the worst case scenario is that I burn up a fan that is available at Camping World for $145.00. I can live with that.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Does the maxxair II cover or the ultra breeze increase fan noise?

Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Demo of "Ultra Breeze" vent cover, versus other brands:

Thanks for this Phoenix I would not have believed it unless I saw it myself. Well done!
Now I just need to figure out were to by a couple of these for my trailer
Cheers
Doug

Old 08-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
By the way does anyone have images of how either if these covers look on an AS?
I'm heading south to the balloon fiesta in a few weeks and might try to get something installed while I'm down there. Are they complicated to install or should one leave it to a dealer ?
TKS
Doug

Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I do not have a picture handy right now, but will post one this weekend when we are out (standard Maxxair cover). It was more difficult to install than the directions make it appear, but if you are reasonably handy, you can do it. I disassembled the Fantastic Fan on the inside to get easier access to the bolts and nuts. I also had my spouse helping on the inside of the trailer. I choose the white cover to more closely match the A/C shroud. I think it looks good.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I see Campers World have the Ultra Breeze vent cover on for 47.00 right now on an Internet Sale. Does that sound like a decent price? Also has anyone seen the smoke colour on an AS. Looks to me like it might look good, but my wife tells me all the time that colour is not my thing so I thought I better ask....lol

TKS
Doug
Old 08-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Compared to the regular price, it appears to be a good deal. The Maxxair is on sale for $29, and the Maxxair II is $42 and some change. The dark cover will most likely make it much darker inside. Our Fantastic Fan came with the standard smoked cover, but it still let in a lot of direct sun. I went with the white Maxxair and am very pleased by the amount of light diffused by it.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Doug, they are really easy to install if you are able to navigate getting up and working on the roof of an Airstream. It's crowded up there and you can only step on the ribs (identified by the rivets). Don't even think about leaning or stepping on a curved end cap.

I think our MaxxAir II covers look and work terrific, their silver color does not exactly match Airstream aluminum but the darker colors shield some sun and light, reducing overhead glare to almost nothing.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks Cannonball and Doug - Looking at this further, Camping World want another 60.00 to ship them to me so I think I will just wait till i'm in Albque at the end of Sept and pick up something then.

Please correct me if i'm wrong - but for me these look interesting because it should allow me to run down the road with a vent open. Is that correct? I'm asking because we go to great lengths to make sure we don't have a fantastic fan open at all when moving as i'm afraid of hurting a lid. We even disengage the motor so they will not open on their own with the auto function.
(mind you i'm probably doing that wrong also....lol)

Thanks again

Doug
Old 08-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
If this a Ford/Chevy thing, please ignore this question, but I have to ask: Why not just buy the Maxxair fan to start with? I understand those who have FF as a factory option, but I see others buying FF and then placing a Maxxair cover over the top.

I love my maxxair but I don't have anything really to compare it against as it's all I've had, what's the deal here?