Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Maxx Fan Vs. Fantastic Fan

My impression is Fantastic Fans are prefered over Maxx Fans. Is one any better than the other?
Old 10-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Not having ever owned a Maxx Fan, I cannot say as to the hardware. But, as to factory service, well, I called the factory when my Fantastic Fan (three years old at the time) stop working (the thermostat failed).

In two days I had a box full of essentially the entire guts of the fan. No charge. No questions.

For that alone, I would go Fantastic Fan.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Thumbs up

i had a lift motor bracket fail after 12 years and they sent a lot of replacement parts to update the fan. all FREE and in 2 days. i can't get things i pay for with the same great service!

FANTASTIC =
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Service

That makes me glad I installed two of them!
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I recently went through the same process. The new maxx fan is really neat, but you have to buy all the bells and whistles. The fantastic fan route gives you a host of choices ranging from simple vent, to fan, to fan with thermostat, to fan with thermostat and rain sensor. If you get a fantastic will all the bells and whistles they are comparably priced. With the fantastic you have to cut the skin (not fun but I was able to do it).

In the end, for the price of one Maxx, I bought one Fantastic with fan plus one with fan and thermostat. I have been very happy (about three weeks in to it full time) so far. If I had it to do again, I might get both with the thermostats.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Fantastic company.

Hi, I have had more than my share of problems with my Fantastic Vent over the years, but all necessary parts, upgrades, and instructions have been mailed to me totally free. I don't know of any other place or dealer who gives service like this. Fantastic Vent is Fantastic.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I can't say enough about Fantastic Vent Company. We have bought 5 fans plus an endless breeze fan over the years. I went to the company in Imlay City this year and ask if they would donate a fan to use to do an installation demo at the Texas Vintage Rally next year and they gave me one. I won't be able to do the install demo as we won't be going south this winter because of health issues but someone else will be doing the demo and the fan will be given away in a drawling at the end of the Rally. They are a great company and the best people to deal with.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up Great company

Go for it!
Same great customer service experience here. my 10 year Fantastic vent cover cracked, I called to order another one fully expecting to pay for it. They said "Oh no, we will send you another one free of charge" they even paid for the shipping!

Best customer service in the industry, period!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
My impression is Fantastic Fans are prefered over Maxx Fans. Is one any better than the other?
Yes, I know Fantastic Fan has great customer service, what I am interested in is a comparison of the products.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #10
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Have experience with both Fantastic Fans & Maxx Fan

We installed a Maxx Fan on our 22' Argosy. We had the "manual" version, i.e. no remote control. It did have a thermostat, reversing fan (intake & exhaust), and speed control.

We also have 2 Fantastic Fans on our 34', plus we installed 2 on our previously owned 31' Sovereign.

The Maxx fan has the advantage over the Fantastic Fan in that it can be left open when traveling. As well, the design of the vent permits the operation of the fan, in open position, when it rains.
We have found that our Fantastic Fan's rain/moisture sensor gets persnickety quite often - sometimes, in auto mode, the sensor won't close the vent when it rains (told this is due to dirt on the sensor). Or, it opens & closes in the middle of the night with an annoying whine when the humidity is high. When we left the Maxx fan vent open, we didn't have either problem.

In high winds over 25 MPH, the open Fantastic Vent tends to rattle around. In higher winds, we've had to close the vent down as we thought it would perhaps blow off. Never had this problem with the Maxx Fan.

The Maxx Fan does have a bigger "footprint" on the roof than the Fantastic Fan due to its "overhang" on the back. This somewhat restricts installation where the vent is in front of the airconditioner.

We found the Maxx Fan to be a bit quieter than the Fantastic Fan, perhaps because the air hitting the blades is buffered by the design. However, because of this design, a bit less air is pushed through the fan; the air movement was adequate for the area of the trailer.

As with the other comments, we have found Fantastic Fan's customer service excellent! Unfortunately, we have no long-term service comparision with the Maxx Fan as the 22' Argosy was totalled last year.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Lumatic,

Since you want comparisons of similar products, are you considering a Turbo Maxx? I installed one in my bedroom a few weeks ago.

I have a Fantastic Vent in my living room and like most people I am satisfied with it. Two reasons I didn't want one in the bedroom though is the skylight effect and I didn't want to rely on that nutty rain sensor over my bed.

I've only had the Turbo Maxx in place for a few weeks now but as far as thermostat control, in/out fan direction, noise level and power consuption on the three speeds, it compares almost the same as the Fantastic Vent. The bonus is you can leave the roof vent under it open rain or shine.

Here are the few drawbacks. First, it takes up some space on the roof with that swept back design. Chances one won't fit over every vent on your trailer as it would be blocked with the air conditioner, prevent the TV antenna from being raised, etc. The second drawback only applies to older trailers like mine in that it won't work with the old light/vent combos. This means an extra step and expense, in that you first have to install a modern RV roof vent (I also installed an adjacent light fixture) in that location. After a few days when your vulkem cures you can put on the Turbo Maxx.

Christopher
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09 sealed.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	630.4 KB
ID:	98862   Click image for larger version

Name:	20 fan in place.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	667.2 KB
ID:	98863  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0574.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	675.3 KB
ID:	98864  
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Lumatic,Since you want comparisons of similar products, are you considering a Turbo Maxx?

it won't work with the old light/vent combos. This means an extra step and expense, in that you first have to install a modern RV roof vent

Christopher
I saw 2 new MaxxFans on ebay the mothership was selling and got them for $100 each. That was a deal I could not refuse. 3 speed, reverseable with a thermostat. I have not put them in yet but I don't see any reason why I would have to put in a new vent with this model, just take out the old one and maybe do a little cutting and reinforcement to the hole,
Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I have a Maxx fan on the Safari and a Fantastic fan on the Caravel. Both have worked without a problem for a few years. The Maxx fan can run when it's raining with no water in the trailer(important in the Pacific NW). The Fantastic fan costs less and is easier to install. Both have a low profile when closed. I would only feel comfortable opening the Maxx fan while traveling.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
I would only feel comfortable opening the Maxx fan while traveling.
I installed fantastic fans last fall. I asked around at that time about running with them open since I my habit is to run with vents opened about 4 inches during the warmer parts of the year. My memory is that the factory says it is OK to run with them open some, but I am to lazy to go find the post.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
I installed fantastic fans last fall. I asked around at that time about running with them open since I my habit is to run with vents opened about 4 inches during the warmer parts of the year. My memory is that the factory says it is OK to run with them open some, but I am to lazy to go find the post.
I'm sure you could, but looking at the two the Maxx fan is a better setup for this. IMO.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 03-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
comparative noise levels?

This thread has me again thinking about adding a reversible fan (I have no fan there now) in the bedroom. I'm curious about the comparative noise of a MaxxFan vs. a Fantastic Fan.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammur View Post
This thread has me again thinking about adding a reversible fan (I have no fan there now) in the bedroom. I'm curious about the comparative noise of a MaxxFan vs. a Fantastic Fan.
They seem to be equal in noise level. Both have low noise levels.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
I put MaxxairII vent covers (silver color) on both of my Fantastic fans and can run them anytime even when traveling without worry of rain or leaks. I also put a standard Maxxair cover on my smaller bathroom vent and have been very pleased with all of them. Best price I found was on Amazon.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
How about some photos?

With all this talk about Maxx Fans, could someone please post some photos, inside and out of a completed installation?

I've seen them in catalogs and installed on other brands but never have seen one up close and photos of an actual installation would be the next best thing.

Photos of an installation job in action would also be great.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Sorry about picking up this old post, but if owners of the fantastic fans with the curved garnish could post a picture that would help me. Also, Maxx Air owners with the standard or deluxe fans could post a pic of interior and a pic of exterior appearance with a deluxe fan.

This is alot to ask, I would help me decide what to get.

After looking at the Airstream Website, I see that the new trailers are not using the curved garnish. It is probably not necessary since the aluminum will conform to the flat garnish and there is no framing to prevent it from conforming as was the case with the A/C that I installed.
texascanuk is offline   Reply With Quote