Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Leaking Range vent

What is the best way to repair a leak at my Range vent? What is the best material choice for a gasket replacement?
chuman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My range vent is shielded with a metal cover, and the duct itself is sealed with RV putty. Never had a leak.

I suspect that the metal cover, although it looks like it belongs there, may not be original because everything I have read about my model year inclines me to think that it came with an ABS plastic cover. But the PO's kids grew up playing basketball right beside the Overlander, so there's a good chance that the original cover got busted in the seventies when the Mother Ship was selling a metal replacement.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My 75 had a leak at the exhaust fan. Water would run down and get behind the flange that mounts the motor and duct to the trailer. The putty tape that was supposed to seal it had failed after 30 years. I removed the duct and motor and sealed behind it with a fair amount of Vulkem and reinstalled. I had to disconnect the cable that operates the door where it attached to the lever on the control panel. This allowed me to move the door out of the way to work on the duct and motor. Attaching the cable was a real PITA. Two years later and still no leak.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Thanks 'caster! I think that is my problem too. The PO "fixed" it with duct tape and now I have a fine mess to clean up around the edge of the cover. Not looking forward to reattaching that cable when I get it back together I can see how it might be a major PITA as you said. But all leaks MUST be banished!!!!

By the way, any good places to drop a nice dry fly on a big fat trout out there in AZ? Not too many trout here in AL, but I love to fly fish.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you want a big fat trout go to New Mexico. The San Juan River located near Farmington has some of the biggest and fattest trout I have ever seen. The biggest I have ever caught was there, a very nice 26 inch rainbow. Arizona has many good fishing locations, but none compare to the San Juan.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Sounds like a road trip! Thanks 'Caster!!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
By the way, I got my vent fan removed and didn't have as much trouble getting the cable installed back to the cover. I think the PO had made a complete mess of sealing it. The only place it looked to me that it was possible for it to leak was where absolutely NO sealant had been installed. It was one of those monumental "DUH!" moments. I think maybe it was the PPO that did this. The PO had just taped it up with duct tape to seal it off and now I have a mess of tape adhesive surrounding the vent. Do you have any reccomendations for something to remove that?