Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
You can probably reason out the dimensions based on the holes. If you can wait until this weekend, I would be willing to take some measurements from mine. It looked like about a 3/4 inch 90 degree bend for the base.

I would bet if you made the base 1 inch and used some of the good 3M VHB tape no screws would be needed if you sealed around the entire base.

If you need the measurements, let me know.

Good Luck!

Mark
Subzero-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Sugar Land , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero-AK View Post
You can probably reason out the dimensions based on the holes. If you can wait until this weekend, I would be willing to take some measurements from mine. It looked like about a 3/4 inch 90 degree bend for the base.

I would bet if you made the base 1 inch and used some of the good 3M VHB tape no screws would be needed if you sealed around the entire base.

If you need the measurements, let me know.

Good Luck!

Mark
Thanks The height and the length measurement would be most helpful. I will definitely make the base wider.
us3rnam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Sorry about the delay. I just measured the fin. From the roof to the top it is 5 inches high and overall it is 24 inches long. If you want to make with look like stock, the top corners get trimmed at a 45 degree angle 2.5 inches from the bottom.

I think if you got at piece of aluminum that was 24" X 6". You could bend a 90 degree lip along the long edge, 1 inch wide.

Just secure it good with 3M VHB double sided tape, then seal all around the base. As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I will make this part of my regular inspection. Probably in the spring and fall, or after any significant wind storm.

Best of luck!

Mark
WL7NI
Subzero-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Sugar Land , Texas
Airstream Drawing of the Deflector

I received another return call from Airstream support. Attached is a drawing of the deflector part emailed to me by the tech. As you say it is 24-inches by 6-inches. Most interesting is the six attachment holes. When mine departed the top of the Airstream three holes were left in the roof. I have made the part but my flange at the bottom is much wider. I have not installed it yet. Thanks toSubzero-AK for taking the time to measure the part.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
more likely a deflector to prevent the AC condensor fan from blowing air down the reefer vent causing CO to build up in the trailer. the part about more holes is true for sure..

I did check mine when replacing the AC plastice cover earlier this year. It was so brittle it snapped off in my hand just trying to remove it.. was amazed it made the trip from florida to NC without flying off..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWBC View Post
Heat shield , to dissipate the hot air coming form the fridge roof vent away from the heat pump. My best guess ,OH and to add more holes on the roof.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:14 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Now I'm worried

I have a 2016 25' FC rear bedroom. Anyone know if this leak prone flange is on my rig? I'm away from it for another month and want to do something about it when I get back.
And does anyone really use that flex seal stuff advertised on TV every 10 minutes??

Thanks!
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #27
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Subzero-

Thank you for this post from August. I marked it then to check later, and finally got around to it lately.

Just like your coach, our Pete, a 2014 Flying Cloud 27FB, had exactly the same 3 screw, cheap foam tape installation of the fridge vent air deflector. When I checked it, the front leading edge was loose, having pulled the foam tape apart. The three screws were caulked nicely with (I can't remember the name of it) the self-leveling caulk AS uses on the roof now.

Rather than even mess with the screws, I cleaned everything up nicely on the roof and the bottom edge of the air deflector, put 1x1" Eternabond squares over the screw holes, and attached the air deflector back on the roof with 3m auto VHB tape with three 1" gaps for the E-Bond squares. Done, and should last a long time and not leak.

There is a serious leak potential with the factory attachment, because even if the screw heads are caulked, as the foam tape loosens, water will get to the screw shafts and bingo, leak. Hope this helps someone else prevent another leak as it did me!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Sugar Land , Texas
Drawing of the Deflector

Since my deflector was completely missing I obtained the attached drawing of the deflector from Airstream. Note that the drawing specifies six rivets and mine had been installed with only three rivets. I constructed a replacement from a left over part from another project and attached it with sealant and 12 3/16" rivets. The replacement is permanent now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Deflector 104948 Model (1).pdf (17.3 KB, 71 views)
Old 11-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
wilmington , Delaware
doing alot of research on leaks in airstreams, having a 2006 interstate....saw a small leak coming down passenger side back lounge wall...trying to figure out the best way to solve this mystery..probably will have AS do a seal test to determine area? truthfully, after reading all these posts, I wonder if I made the right decision to buy an airstream. It is sad to see the workmanship concerns AS is having...and apparently, they don't care?
weather command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Interesting!

I have a minor leak that eludes me that sometimes causes the cross-mounted sofa leg at the front of the trailer to be damp.

I feel that if I park the trailer nose-up it does not happen - otherwise it does.

From what I have read there is a C-channel (I would call it a U -channel) that runs around th perimeter and it has a joint (straight side section to curved front panel section) just about where the sofa leg is positioned, so the leak could be anywhere and make its presence known at that location.

I've checked and recaulked many times with no luck, but admit I have never looked closely at that fin - but I will now! Who knows!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
My roof fin had only two screws!

Luckily I was following the AS on a country road in Upper State NY when it flew off onto the road where I was able to stop and pick it up (couldn't figure out what is was though...).

I temporarily patched the two holes, and with Subzero-AK' s post, I now know what to do to attach it to the roof permanently.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Just repaired my "fin" 3 weeks ago. I was cleaning the roof with a long handled boat brush and when I brushed the fin it literally fell off. Original installation was with adhesive tape and 3 self tapping sheet metal screws. The screws didn't hold because they were installed through 3 predrilled holes larger than the screw diameter! I used 3M VHB 3/4 inch tape and 3 pop rivets to secure the fin. I have no idea why it wasn't riveted initially. I then used self leveling sealant to finish the job. The fin won't come off again!!!
Imasailor is offline   Reply With Quote