Old 08-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Frostproof , Florida
More leaks

Sorry to hear you're having leaks too. We bought a new 2016 flying cloud 10 months ago, raining here in Virginia and we just found the fifth leak. Water was coming down the wall at the cook top fan.
I'm guessing it is a leak at the outside vent for the fan, it let up raining a minute and I was able to put duck tape over the top ridge. Very disappointed with the lack of effort by Airstream to seal up better.
I always heard about the quality of an Airstream so we bought one, our last two Rvs never leaked.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Good catch on finding that leak. Thanks for the detailed write up. Guess it is take to break out the ladder and head up there myself.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
A can of clear Flexiseal on hand will go the distance to fixing any leak..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:35 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cope View Post
I am taking delivery of a Flying Cloud 25 in about two weeks and specified needing two days at an RV campground to check for delivery faults. I think I will hose it to check for such avoidable leaks. Shame on simple matters of quality design and fabrication.
Just keep in mind, unless the leak is direct it will take time for it to soak into and through the insulation before it shows up inside, so a quick hose down might not show anything and if it does then the pink stuff is saturated and flattened. Leak/Pressure check is the way to go.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
sugar land , Texas
The fin on mine is completely gone!

Thanks for the post. I checked my roof and the fin is completely gone. Just 3 holes to mark the location. I don't have any idea when it departed, my recently purchased 27'FB is less than two years old. I have not had any leakage. I temperally sealed up holes with two layers of aluminum tape. I am waiting for a call from an Airstream Tech. I've had experience working with Al so I don't anticipate any difficulty making and installing a replacement.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

sugar land , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by us3rnam3 View Post
Thanks for the post. I checked my roof and the fin is completely gone. Just 3 holes to mark the location. I don't have any idea when it departed, my recently purchased 27'FB is less than two years old. I have not had any leakage. I temperally sealed up holes with two layers of aluminum tape. I am waiting for a call from an Airstream Tech. I've had experience working with Al so I don't anticipate any difficulty making and installing a replacement.
The Airstream Tech call after I left my second message. With a little prompting he admitted something we know, that is, Yes the fin is a problem. He referred me to a dealer to order a replacement part. He reported that he has looked but was unable to find a drawing for this part so couldn't help me with that. He did say the the part is 14-inches long and made of 0.040 aluminum. I have some aircraft aluminum of that thickness so I will make my own from the pictures shown above and install it better than the factory.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
You can probably reason out the dimensions based on the holes. If you can wait until this weekend, I would be willing to take some measurements from mine. It looked like about a 3/4 inch 90 degree bend for the base.

I would bet if you made the base 1 inch and used some of the good 3M VHB tape no screws would be needed if you sealed around the entire base.

If you need the measurements, let me know.

Good Luck!

Mark
Old 08-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

sugar land , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero-AK View Post
You can probably reason out the dimensions based on the holes. If you can wait until this weekend, I would be willing to take some measurements from mine. It looked like about a 3/4 inch 90 degree bend for the base.

I would bet if you made the base 1 inch and used some of the good 3M VHB tape no screws would be needed if you sealed around the entire base.

If you need the measurements, let me know.

Good Luck!

Mark
Thanks The height and the length measurement would be most helpful. I will definitely make the base wider.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Sorry about the delay. I just measured the fin. From the roof to the top it is 5 inches high and overall it is 24 inches long. If you want to make with look like stock, the top corners get trimmed at a 45 degree angle 2.5 inches from the bottom.

I think if you got at piece of aluminum that was 24" X 6". You could bend a 90 degree lip along the long edge, 1 inch wide.

Just secure it good with 3M VHB double sided tape, then seal all around the base. As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I will make this part of my regular inspection. Probably in the spring and fall, or after any significant wind storm.

Best of luck!

Mark
WL7NI
Old 08-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

sugar land , Texas
Airstream Drawing of the Deflector

I received another return call from Airstream support. Attached is a drawing of the deflector part emailed to me by the tech. As you say it is 24-inches by 6-inches. Most interesting is the six attachment holes. When mine departed the top of the Airstream three holes were left in the roof. I have made the part but my flange at the bottom is much wider. I have not installed it yet. Thanks toSubzero-AK for taking the time to measure the part.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
more likely a deflector to prevent the AC condensor fan from blowing air down the reefer vent causing CO to build up in the trailer. the part about more holes is true for sure..

I did check mine when replacing the AC plastice cover earlier this year. It was so brittle it snapped off in my hand just trying to remove it.. was amazed it made the trip from florida to NC without flying off..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWBC View Post
Heat shield , to dissipate the hot air coming form the fridge roof vent away from the heat pump. My best guess ,OH and to add more holes on the roof.
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:14 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Oradell , New Jersey
Now I'm worried

I have a 2016 25' FC rear bedroom. Anyone know if this leak prone flange is on my rig? I'm away from it for another month and want to do something about it when I get back.
And does anyone really use that flex seal stuff advertised on TV every 10 minutes??

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #27
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Subzero-

Thank you for this post from August. I marked it then to check later, and finally got around to it lately.

Just like your coach, our Pete, a 2014 Flying Cloud 27FB, had exactly the same 3 screw, cheap foam tape installation of the fridge vent air deflector. When I checked it, the front leading edge was loose, having pulled the foam tape apart. The three screws were caulked nicely with (I can't remember the name of it) the self-leveling caulk AS uses on the roof now.

Rather than even mess with the screws, I cleaned everything up nicely on the roof and the bottom edge of the air deflector, put 1x1" Eternabond squares over the screw holes, and attached the air deflector back on the roof with 3m auto VHB tape with three 1" gaps for the E-Bond squares. Done, and should last a long time and not leak.

There is a serious leak potential with the factory attachment, because even if the screw heads are caulked, as the foam tape loosens, water will get to the screw shafts and bingo, leak. Hope this helps someone else prevent another leak as it did me!
Old 11-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

sugar land , Texas
Drawing of the Deflector

Since my deflector was completely missing I obtained the attached drawing of the deflector from Airstream. Note that the drawing specifies six rivets and mine had been installed with only three rivets. I constructed a replacement from a left over part from another project and attached it with sealant and 12 3/16" rivets. The replacement is permanent now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Deflector 104948 Model (1).pdf (17.3 KB, 18 views)