Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
kitchen exhaust fan repair/replacement???

i have a 1978 - 31 foot AS where the kitchen exhaust fan is actuated by the lever in the cabinet over the range. i got the fan operating but it gets hot. i need to get it out to either clean it or replace it?? has anyone tackled this issue? and where will i find the replacement motor?? thanks, tuna
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Exhaust fan motor

I would try grainger.com for the replacement motor.
We need to work on our '84 with the same lever operation.
Our lever seems to be stuck. If I can get it out in the next few days, will relay the process.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi- in my '72 I think I was able to get it out by just gaining access by taking off the filter-mesh, and then contorting myself over the countertop and removing the thing. If I remember right, it was not necessary to remove the entire storage compartment. Good luck- tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'm wondering if the thing is really necessary. I only turn mine on to show people that it works. otherwise, it takes up an entire cabinet, rendering it useless for storage...which isn't exactly "plentiful" in a small trailer.
I toured some new trailers recently, and noticed that they're installing what looks like a miniature version of a modern kitchen hood. I wonder, do those vent to the outside? or are they just filter-fans, like the one in my house? Looks like they mount to the underside of the cabinet, without taking up any of that precious storage space...
we don't do much cooking to begin with, let alone "greasy smoky" cooking, and even on the rare occasion when we might, the standard roof vent/fan is only a couple of feet away...do we really need this thing?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
when we purchased our '68 the fan was already burned out. There was evidence of a little fire damage in the hood as well. In order to fix the fan that we never use, we took out one of the vent fans and put it in there. They are the exact same motors. But we really just open windows when we need ventilation. The fan is so loud that it is more irritating then smell generated from food.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
And yet another opinion...

We use our vent fan over the stove all the time! Yes; it's noisy - but we only use it brief when cooking something... um .. of substantial olfactory interest.

I would try to replace with another motor if possible....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
If it smelled so bad that I wanted it extracted from the trailer...I can't imagine that I'd want to eat it.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I have the opposite problem. The kitchen fan is quiet, probably due to the fact that the operating lever was damaged sometime in the past. Like Chuck said, the fan housing make the cabinet useless for storage.
The fans get noisey because the bearings fail. This is the problem with the ceiling vent fan. The thing rattles so bad you can hardly stand to be in the coach if its been running a while.
Please, if someone finds a good replacement motor from Grainger, McMaster-Carr or another supply house, post the part number. I really want to replace the pair.
Thanks,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
range vent fan / lever operation

I went out there and dropped the screen. The PO never cooked so even after 23 years the fan motor and interior housing of the vent looked new.
Don't know about other models but how this is set-up is pretty neat. The lever performs two functions on our '84 International; 1. there is a wire cable that runs from the lever, under the fan and connects to the exterior vent cover (which is hinged). 2. the fan switch is mounted directly to the lever and as it reaches the full open position the switch engages and turns on the little fan.
Cute, but as a serious vent for those who fry, I suspect it is more trick than treat. Reason our lever won't move is the same PO who never cooked, ran a bead of sealant down the edges of the outside vent flap and it is locked in place.
Based on our cooking style, I plan on removing the entire contraption and provide more space in the storage bin. This will have to wait until after the rear twin bed removal & full size installation is completed. We will have a full size bed for Labor Day weekend.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
St James City , Florida
I found if I don't put it on sometimes the smokedetector in the bedroom goes off! I guess at least I knows it works
tinman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I replace mine with one I bought at a camping supply store.
I had to cut the fan blades down just a bit as they were to long.
Not sure but I think I used the orignal mounting hardware.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
The fan is simple to remove. Just two screws of nuts if I remember correctly. The wires can be pulled apart at the plastic covered connection if they are still original. The fan cover can then be removed by loosening and removing the screws onthe back of the unit. inspect the armature for breaks (not usually seen), brushes and other components. Heat usually means resistance in the circuit and needs to be replaced. I am searching for this fan as well and will post when I get one.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:48 PM   #13
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Fan Motor

Any good Airstream dealer can get it for you. It is the same fan motor as the vent with a smaller blade, which is also availible from Airstream.
Call Airstream and they will give you the part number.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:07 AM   #14
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
garry,
then i'm assuming the fan is accessible from the outside of the trailer -- or through the vent opening?? i'm wondering if "ventline" has any fans that fit -- they provided the exhuast fan in the bathroom? the bathroom ceiling fan did not operate and i bent the WD-40 spray nozzle so i could spray back into the fan and i have it working fine. i'm thinking this kitchen exhaust fan may just need cleaning and lubrication?? does anyone know if the other ceiling fans are manufactured by "ventline"? i'm going to order a handle for the bathroom exhaust fan and would like to get some other motors at the same time.............. thanks, tuna
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
New Style Stove Hoods

I've got a new Airstream and a Sparestream! Both have the hoods that hang below the cabinets and yes the fans do vent to the outside. Yes they are noisy too, but I do turn them on when cooking to keep the smoke detectors from going off.

The outside vent is covered, and has a light weight plastic "flapper" that can be locked closed for travel. When you run the fan, it pushes the flapper vent open.

First, I doubt these hoods are all that expensive, and second, I doubt if the exhaust would exactly mate up with your current outside vent, but any half way decent ductwork shop should be able to make a small duct that would run up the back of the hood to your existing vent.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
You can make noisy fans tolerable by reducing the speed at which they turn. This can be done by putting a 10 ohm resistor on the hot lead to the fan. I did it on mine by cutting the hot lead, soldering in the resistor and putting shrink tubing over it. The fan's spin speed was reduced to about half and it really dropped the noise level.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Granby , Massachusetts
Follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
I have the opposite problem. The kitchen fan is quiet, probably due to the fact that the operating lever was damaged sometime in the past. Like Chuck said, the fan housing make the cabinet useless for storage.
The fans get noisey because the bearings fail. This is the problem with the ceiling vent fan. The thing rattles so bad you can hardly stand to be in the coach if its been running a while.
Please, if someone finds a good replacement motor from Grainger, McMaster-Carr or another supply house, post the part number. I really want to replace the pair.
Thanks,
Tom.
Did anyone ever find anything?
CordellCampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #18

1973 31' Excella 500
Brier , Texas
Could i talk any of yall into posting a picture of the leaver for the fan I am not seeing a leaver or a switch on my 73 31 footer Excella 500 It will be appreciated
73 exclla500 is offline   Reply With Quote