Old 08-25-2006, 08:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
New Style Stove Hoods

I've got a new Airstream and a Sparestream! Both have the hoods that hang below the cabinets and yes the fans do vent to the outside. Yes they are noisy too, but I do turn them on when cooking to keep the smoke detectors from going off.

The outside vent is covered, and has a light weight plastic "flapper" that can be locked closed for travel. When you run the fan, it pushes the flapper vent open.

First, I doubt these hoods are all that expensive, and second, I doubt if the exhaust would exactly mate up with your current outside vent, but any half way decent ductwork shop should be able to make a small duct that would run up the back of the hood to your existing vent.

Paula Ford

Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
You can make noisy fans tolerable by reducing the speed at which they turn. This can be done by putting a 10 ohm resistor on the hot lead to the fan. I did it on mine by cutting the hot lead, soldering in the resistor and putting shrink tubing over it. The fan's spin speed was reduced to about half and it really dropped the noise level.

So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1973 Argosy 26
Granby , Massachusetts
Follow up

Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
I have the opposite problem. The kitchen fan is quiet, probably due to the fact that the operating lever was damaged sometime in the past. Like Chuck said, the fan housing make the cabinet useless for storage.
The fans get noisey because the bearings fail. This is the problem with the ceiling vent fan. The thing rattles so bad you can hardly stand to be in the coach if its been running a while.
Please, if someone finds a good replacement motor from Grainger, McMaster-Carr or another supply house, post the part number. I really want to replace the pair.
Did anyone ever find anything?

CordellCampr is offline   Reply With Quote