Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Is it possible to add a second Fantastic Fan?

I mentioned adding a second Fantastic Fan in the bedroom. My wife is concerned about cutting a hole in the roof. I respond that there are already 8-10 holes in the roof for other things. She answers that those were installed at the factory, to which I replied that we could get it done at the factory...

m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Most newer Airstreams come from the factory with at least a 14x14 vent in the bedroom. You can take yours out and intall a Fantastic in its place, if that's what you are asking.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
We have two FantasticFans, which gives provides a lot of options for air movement. The second one sure helps as an alternative to running the air conditioner, when outside temperatures are in that transition range from warm to hot.

Also, it's not difficult if you are mechanically inclined and want to save a little money. The hardest part is removing all of the sealant from the old vent.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The new Airstream Flying Cloud's come with two fantastic fans as standard equipment. You can add a FF wherever you have ceiling space and there is no rib. Since the main wiring goes down the center of the roof, it needs to be pushed aside. You also need to frame any opening (wood is fine) between the inner and outer skins to support the fan properly. You need to be able to provide 12 volt power for the fan.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Check the wiring harness info for your trailer in your owner's documentation. If you don't have it in your documentation, you can download the info from the Airstream site. The schematic will show where 12v tails are located behind the ceiling panel and the wire color coding. It is easy to tie into the wire harness when you are looking for the right wires.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
A few weeks ago I replace both factory roof vents with fantastic fans. It took about an hour and a half EACH to do. Not difficult just time consuming, and remember to be careful on the top of the roof. I placed a large piece of wood, positioned over the rivets, to distribute my weight. If you are looking to purchase, check out Vintage Trailer Supply, they came in at about $100 cheaper per unit than my local RV store and the Airstream Store in Spokane. It was worth the wait for shipping time for me to save about $200 in total. There are a number of threads on this task, just use the search feature in one of the blue bars above. Good luck.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think the answer for me is no. My trailer has 2 roof airs. The bedroom roof air is where the Fantastic fan would be on trailers that have 1 roof air and 2 Fantastic fans. Just compared to another Classic 30 in the RV park today. Unless there is still room between the last 2 roof ribs aft of the 2nd roof air, and I don't think there is...I guess it is possible to run the fan only on the a/c unit...

m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote