Old 05-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I like the idea of keeping the original vents. They are way more superior in construction that the plastic stuff out there. The plastic vents will crack and rot and leak. Have you considered using computer fans. These are cheap 12V and for the most part quiet. You can get them really cheap at surplus computer places. They come in a variety of air flow options and you could mount two of them one blowing in and the other blowing out. Personally, I don't see the need for blowing air into the trailer from a vent since the air up there is hot. You could also mount two blowing out and they could have different CFM ratings. All you need then is a couple switches to turn on fan one fan two or both. You can get the Maxair vent covers for standard vents. I just bought one. The radiator fan is going to make a lot of noise and push a lot of air and draw a lot of current. If you get standard 6 inch mufflin fans you can just put a hole in an aluminum plate to mount them on. This is something I plan to do when I get time. Standard DC brush motors can be controlled with a POT but the brushless motors don't work that way and you will be stuck with the digital controller.

Perry

Old 05-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Perry
I did look at muffin fans, in 12vdc, there aren't that many/any fans that are even close to what the fantastic fan moves in CFM. The bigger muffin fans are all 110v, so I didn't even consider them. This particular radiator fan's specs say around 3 amps, so that is close to what the motor of the fantastic fan draws. And since radiator fans are designed for use under the hood, they should stand up to the moisture and heat that would be present up on the roof. This particular one spins around 3k rpm, but it moves over double the air that the fantastic fan does, so slowed down it should be more comparable in terms of cfm and noise. Even at full speed it didnt sound as noisy as the built in stove vent.

Suzy (can I call you that?)

I hadn't thought about that. Interesting. I'm all for re-purposing things, I'll take a look and see what is there. The two arms that raise the lid are the limiting factor for space.

I should be getting the two speed controllers in and the second fan. I'll try and wire one up and see how it works over the weekend and post back. I may reuse the existing light setup for the interim, since I have so much work to finish up to get this back on the road and these vents are a sideline of sorts. To make that work, I may just need to get a small piece of aluminum to mount the new speed knob and switch and somehow mount it on the diffuser itself. I'd rather not do it by cutting the plastic, as these will eventually go away and they may be useful to somebody else.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Got home and two boxes waiting on the front porch. One box had the second fan and the other had my two controller boards as well as some 1156 base LED bulbs I want to use for the little "eyeball" lights in the bottom of the overhead end cap.

Went into the garage and got one of my nicad bosch powertool batteries, jumpers, some cutters and a small screwdriver and it was off to the races. Some people on amazon complained that there were no instructions with the controllers, but honestly, only 2 sets of open terminals, one marked M1 and M2 and the other +, -. Motor goes to the first two, and 12v in to the + and -. After testing the fan on the battery straight (it wanted to take off on its own) I hooked it up to the controller and jumped the battery back in the circuit. The green power led came on and keeping the pot centered, flipped the switch to one side and she spun up. Adjusting the pot sped it up to full blast and back down to near zero. Flipped the switch and the little red ccw led lit and it was turning in reverse. Middle position the fan is off, but the power is still applied to the controller.

The controller:

The "test bed". You can see how the controller is shipped, the second one is to the right.

Fan spinning in my hand:

At full speed, the fan puts out a pretty good breeze, though it is probably noisier than a fantastic or maxi-fan but is probably moving more air too. It will need some sort of shroud or plate with a circular cutout so that air is either pushed all the way out or pulled in without undue turbulence inside the vent housing. For sure its much quieter than the air conditioner even on low speed. More to come, stay tuned.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 05-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Good job on your R&D so far. You know if you had one of those Max air vent covers you could put the fan in that I guess. $22

You might even be able to mount the fan in the Maxxair housing above the vent which would reduce noise. I find the white noise from the AC fan a good thing in most campgrounds, especially on the weekend.

Vent Covers from Maxxair and Vent Parts for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Perry

P.S. Don't lose a finger playing with that thing.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
Thanks Aquinob for your work. It made me think outside the box to solve my vent problem. Since the opening of my 1947 CW is 8" x 16" (not the typical 14"x 14") I ended up using an 8" O2cool fan that fits perfectly within the 8" vent opening. The speed controller is a great idea that I will also use. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1430593889.579149.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	237607
Old 05-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Got details on the O2 Cool Fan?

Perry
Old 05-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Thats a neat trim material. Where did you get the fan?

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 05-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
Here is a link that describes the fan. I bought it at Walmart.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
Link to O2-cool fan

http://www.o2-cool.com/8-Inch-Portab...5a?page_id=847
Old 05-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #38
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
How much heat are you getting from controller?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #39
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You will post the parts list for what works..? Please!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
You will post the parts list for what works..? Please!

Sure I will. As for the heat, I let the fan run for about 5 mins and put my finger on the main heat sink and it wasn't even warm.

Here are the links for the parts (controller and fan). So far that's all I've ordered besides some wire and some disconnects.

Controller:
RioRand Upgraded RRCCM6NSPC 150W 6V 12V 24V Reversing Switch Adjustable DC Motor Speed Controller PWM - - Amazon.com

Fan:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may try and kluge up something and mount one and let it run for a bit in the ceiling, just to make sure it will hang in there. I'm knee deep in the middle of painting and putting in new flooring and the new recliners will be here Monday.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 05-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
fans

great job on this, Nice to see someone with imagination and the skill to make it happen. I look forward to seeing the rest of the story, and the trailer.. richard in texas
Old 05-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I actually have one of those if the wife did not throw it in the trash again.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Streamline View Post