Old 04-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I was going to recommend these to you. I put three of them on my rig and have been very happy with them. 10 speeds forward and reverse, and you can run them in a monsoon and the trailer doesn't take any water in.

MaxxAir 00-05100k

But, it appears that they have gone up in price tremendously since I bought mine. This was the cheapest place around to get them. But I think this is like $100 more for each one than I paid just 3-4 years ago.

I do agree a nice aluminum cover would look better.

Best of luck whichever way you to.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly. I did the smoke ones and I really like the way they look. Vents/Fans

I tried my hardest to figure out what to do when it was time to tackle the vents, because I too hated the idea of ripping out the solid aluminum and putting in plastic crap. The fore and aft vents were easier to give up because they had the plastic middles and although I "could" have rebuilt them, they still would be old and I wanted a more modernized fan/ vent feature. I replaced these with the Maxxfan Deluxe's.... VERY sweet replacement.

The middle vent I had a harder time with... the vent lid was solid top and it matched the trailer perfectly- being 100% aluminum. However, the interior presented a logistics problem because it was designed to have the old style lights, which incorporated the screen and vent handle.... I'm moving to all LED recessed inside and doing away with all the old 6 bulb vent/ lights, so I tried to figure out a way to keep the vent, but fab up a nice trimmed out screen on the inside. I quickly gave up and realized "upgrading" to the modern style would fit just fine with my renovation. I figured I did not need a Maxxfan Deluxe for this, as I could get away with a fantastic vent- basic style with screen and lid only...

I regret this decision big time. I hate that Fantastic Fan compared to my Maxxfans- which are really slick- both in aesthetics and features. The FF rubber seal always sticks to the lid, and the screws are already rusting on the support arms and just feels flimsy and cheap. Not sure if the more expensive FF's are the same frame and lid? I know people rave about FF, but mine is no comparison to the Maxxfan.

Do I wish I kept the original aluminum solid vent on fore and aft? A resounding NO. Do I wish I kept the middle one? Ehh.... maybe I could have kept that piece and trimmed it out to my liking and vintage remnant effect to an otherwise modernized trailer.

I can say, that the Fantastic vent is coming out and I'm going to put a 3rd Maxxfan Deluxe there, which if you dont know my opinion already.... is sweet.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Still pondering this one out. When I got home I took some measurements and some photos of the vent opening. The critical measurement would be from the plane of the ceiling to the two bars that open up the lid. That measurement looks to be about 2" at least on the side, but could be more in the middle. Some of the fans listed describe the dimensions as roughly 2.5 inches in the center to about 1.5 toward the edge.

The other issues would be the noise and current draw vs cfm of air moved. Fans designed for engine cooling aren't optimized for their noise and amperage but for the amount of air they can pull. Best I can suss out online is that the fantastic fan can pull about 900 cfm at around 3 amps spinning at 1400 rpm. These engine cooling fans seem to be rated around 1200 to 1700 cfm depending on blade size and anywhere from 8 amps up. Some of the stickers on the motors claim 80 watts so doing the math, that means they draw about 6 amps give or take. At full speed the fantastic fan spins about 1400 rpm and these engine fans are in the 2k range, some closer to 3k. Assuming that the folks at Fantastic obey the same laws of physics as all these offshore makers, then by slowing down these cooling fans, the amps, cfm and noise would probably be much closer.

I've also been looking at muffin fans, these are used routinely to cool electrical and electronic equipment. I think what limits that selection is using 12v. Most of these fans are 110v AC. I did find one with a 5.5" fan that can pull about 280cfm but that is at 28v DC, so on 12v it probably will pull half or less. But it probably would be very quiet.

So at this point I will probably order the fan listed in the first post. Its a bit more expensive, 38 bucks but is Prime so I can send it back no questions asked if it doesn't work out. Specs are 2.8 amps 12 Volt 2860 RPM and 1700 CFM. If it works out, I'll buy one more and then work on a mount and figure out the electricals to give it variable speeds and reverse.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I had no intention to keep the original vents as they do not vent very well ( I have the same vent on my '73 Dodge Van over the bed ) besides the rear vent was damaged by the TV antenna and was where the A/C was to be placed.

I went with the remote controlled Maxxair Fans . One for the front and a second for the rear behind the a/c .

The best thing is I can control both units with one remote either simultaneously or by shielding the the remote with my hand, individually. Boy they really move the air
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3534i.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	236911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tundra : Airstream Test Drive.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	236912  

2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have Maxxair fore and aft, my only regret is we didn't get remote control since I am SHORT and have to climb on the bed to open the aft one! Our originals were wrecked or missing. We put a regular old vent in the center hole, but have now taken it out and patched the hole as we truly didn't need 3 vents with the Maxxairs.
Good luck with your vents, I'm looking forward to what you come up with and how it works for future considerations! It's always cool when someone finds a better way.

Kay
Old 04-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Thanks Kay. I ordered the fan, should be here on Tuesday, and I'll play with it to see how it fits in the opening and how loud it is and the amount of air it moves. I've got enough things to do to get this puppy back together to get some camping in this year. Already a good month behind but things should be coming together. New paint on the inside, new vinyl plank flooring and two new recliners. I think it will be quite the upgrade when its done.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 04-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
And you will love love love the recliners! That's what we did, and we wouldn't ever change it!

Kay
Old 04-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
When I replace my galley cabinets, I might use one of those babies as my exhaust fan over the cooktop! The cabs will be vaguely cylindrical, so it could be perfect.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
fans

I say go for it and let us know how they work, I am in Texas, and need all the air movement that I can get. I have a fantastic, and it is great, but it certainly does not look vintage. Vintage trailer does have new kits, with grey covers and fitted molding inside.. much better. Richard
Old 04-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
The air flow on this fan is huge!!! and it's got to be noisy. We have two fantastic fans and I've only ever used the one in the living area with the other shut off but the vent cover open to bring in fresh air. Maybe you start small and add as you go. Might find a used one on E-bay!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
The fan came in today. I'm pretty impressed with it, considering the cost. It is fairly well made, plastic housing and blade. I fired it up on full voltage and it spins up very fast and puts out quite a breeze. I swapped the polarity and it reverses. All good. Holding it up in the vent space shows that it will fit just fine. So I ordered a second one and will do the front and rear vents and leave the one in the middle alone for now. I may convert that to a skylight down the road.

While I finish up with the walls and flooring, I'll order a couple of DPDT switches so they can both reverse and figure out whether I want to wire them up with a pot (potentiometer) or a rotary switch with some resistors for variable or multiple speeds.

Here are a few pix of the new fan and the one old one that came out of the front vent.

The old one - I had forgotten it was even in there.

Plastic is quite brittle and cracked. But it still runs, though not that much of a breeze.

Cleaning up the walls, getting ready for paint.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Doing some more research, I found that using a simple pot probably won't cut it to control the motor. I may have to spend some BIG BUCKS and get a solid state motor controller module, again off my favorite site, Amazon.

I priced out the pots and dpdt switch so I would have been in around 6 or 7 bucks (okay, maybe 8 or 9) per fan for those parts. This little jewel that should be able to handle up to 10 amps on 12v may set me back 14 bucks with the free shipping. It should provide for infinite speed control and has an included switch to turn it off or switch rotation.

I'm not sure I can handle the expense of it all. 38 bucks for the fan + 14 for the speed controller and I'll probably need a couple of scrap aluminum bars to mount the fan on and some scrap aluminum sheet to make a shroud. I still need to figure out a filter or screen, there appear to be round ones available that are used in range hoods for about 8 bucks and will need to build a ceiling enclosure to house it all and perhaps also provide some more down light.

Here is what one of the little controllers looks like - there are quite a few others all around the same price with different specs available.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 04-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
SMART Moves....considering the cost of a basic Fantastic!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #27
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Thanks for doing all the “Heavy Lifting” in this experiment. I'm confident that you'll eventually finish up with a viable work-around that will meet your expectations and guide others interested in a similar solution.

I think the reason that my 1968 fan motor doesn't reverse, is that it may have been factory installed as left-over inventory from the older Airstreams that had fans wired to run on both 12V DC, and 19V AC or something like that.

Hope to soon be “Blown Away” by your discoveries.

Thanks again for sharing and clearly illustrating your endeavor.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
In terms of the shroud, you might consider cutting the bottom out of a bucket, and trim it to the proper depth. There's loads of different sizes at the Big Box stores, maybe one will fit.