Old 05-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Install Fantastic Fan in A/C hole?

My Argosy originally had A/C but now all I have is a hole in the roof. The exterior opening is 14"X14" which is fine for the FF. However, the interior opening is 14"X18". How do I fill it, the FF base might not? The larger hole is not centered with the the smaller one, which will leave the ceiling with an opening. Bigger interior cover available??

Old 05-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You can get a curved interior garnish from Fantastic that will make it look better. Give them a call, and they'll send you one.
Now, for the hole... You can transplant a piece of the patterned aluminum skin from somewhere you can't see, and rivet it in place over the gap between the garnish and the edge of the interior ceiling. Use a piece of regular aluminum sheet to put back over the spot where you appropriated the patterned skin. White rivets will help it blend in. If you don't have any, get a can of white spray paint, stick the rivets into a piece of cardboard with the head facing up, and spray the rivets. After the paint has dried, you can use them to install the ceiling patch.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Great idea. Thanks Terry.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
I put 4 vents in. I think it looks much better. A/C is below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 vents.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	159580   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	159581  

Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Here's a picture of the filled in interior. When I removed the interior skins, I found that the had factory used strips of the matching interior aluminum to hold the fiberglass in place. I used one of the strips as a filler piece where the A/C used to be. I like the amount of light that the 4 Fantastic vents give. Fantastic Vents company is great to deal with!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	159582  
Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
I'm going to have to do something similar. I think I am going to look for a piece of plastic matching the vent color. Thanks for the pics.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Has anybody removed the Armstrong air conditioner from a 60's Stream and installed a vent in its place? What kind of interior filler was required? What other problems did you have?

Surfpod

Nice installation of 4 Fantastic vents. I am planning on doing the same. I will be installing my AC in a side window of my 66 TW. It will be portable. I will carry it in the bottom of a closet and then install it in the window when I need it. I plan to operate it using my 1000 watt Honda genny. I will provide photos after I actually install it.

Dan
Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
surfpod, one question I have, was the opening after A/C removed have any wood frame, or were you able to see the insulation? My A/C is gone, all I have is the opening. I wonder if I need to do any framing before installing the vent?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Has anybody removed the Armstrong air conditioner from a 60's Stream and installed a vent in its place? What kind of interior filler was required? What other problems did you have?

Surfpod

Nice installation of 4 Fantastic vents. I am planning on doing the same. I will be installing my AC in a side window of my 66 TW. It will be portable. I will carry it in the bottom of a closet and then install it in the window when I need it. I plan to operate it using my 1000 watt Honda genny. I will provide photos after I actually install it.

Dan
Honestly Dan, I did not encounter and problems with installing the fantastic vent in place of the A/C on the exterior. It fit perfectly. I trimmed the corners a little, but it fit. I didn't like the look of the A/C on the roof and I was trying to lower the center of gravity. Those rooftop units are heavy! I've plugged practically every hole and hope that the A/C will cool the trailer. That's my next experiment! I would take the interior shroud off the A/C and just measure to see how much filler is needed. If the exterior opening is the right size for a vent, then the interior is a breeze. Four open vents in conjunction with all of the windows open really make for a nice interior! Best of luck. I know it will work for you.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Installed the Fantastic fan today. Went well, I still need to go up on the roof, put some Trempro on the rivets that were left when the A/C was removed. Next, is the interior opening, where the A/C left a larger hole than the FF molding covers.