Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
How to replace motor in the Ventline extractor fan?

The extractor fan in the bathroom has stopped working. I've checked with a multimeter and it's getting a full 12V, and I've blown compressed air and silicone spray to see if it was obstructed/dried out, but it looks like the motor has simply seized.

I found a replacement motor that has exactly the same part number: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is I can't see any way to remove the old motor. From the inside there don't seem to be any screws between the bracket holding the motor and the metal ring inside the housing - I can see a couple of rivets that seem to hold these two together but I assume I'm not supposed to drill those out (they're pretty inaccessible anyway).

Do I need to go in from the top? Anyone else replaced the motor in this type of fan?
wmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
If my memory is correct the motor replacement is performed mostly from the outside.

I recall removing the sealant from the heads of the two screws that secure the exterior dome to the pop-up handle extensions.

Then remove the screws and dome/lid.

Remove the old motor. I think you have to cut the wires or maybe there are two wire "nuts."

The rectangular piece of metal with four holes (shown in the picture on Amazon) is a drill template. Its purpose is to align two of the holes in the template with the existing holes in the motor mount. Then drill two new holes where the other two holes are located. I seem to recall the new holes are very close to the edge of the old metal bracket but it worked.

Also consider installing a new dome/lid. Yours may be faded or otherwise degraded from sun exposure. Also consider installing a new gasket on the roof so the dome/lid seals properly.

When you reattach the dome screws you need to seal them with something permanent (not simply silicone sealer). A product like Sikaflex or some other urethane sealant will last much longer.

Hope that helps even though it may not be complete step-by-step instructions.

On Edit: you may need to replace the fan blade too. I think the shaft diameter on the new motor is different than the old motor. By the way... Airstream sells a complete kit with everything you need and it was reasonably priced. Call the service center / parts department.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
I replaced mine not long ago. I did remove the top dome lid to gain access. However I removed the two screws, one on each side of the inside handle. Removed the handle then removed the screen for cleaning and fan blade from the motor. Removed the two screws holding the motor and replaced the motor.
AIR #13642
18 Ram 1500, 06 Safari 22
SnorkyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Okatie , South Carolina
I had this fan in a previous RV an removing the exterior top of the vent is very easy and the only way to access the inner parts for the most part. The motor may or may not be an easy replacement but the top vent cover removal is your starting point. I did remove the top so I speak from experience.
Martinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
OK thanks all. I was hoping to avoid having to climb up on the roof, since everything seems to be pretty easily accessible from inside after removing the handle and the screen (except for the screws holding the motor, apparently!)

So, is it just the screws fastening the dome that will need resealing, and not around the dome itself? I have some Vulkem 116 - will that be adequate for resealing the screws?
Old 12-31-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
wmb.....I found a video online of someone replacing a tank vent and a Ventline round ceiling vent. The video showed two screws with the heads facing up that hold the motor in place on a metal cross piece. It appears that the only practical way to remove the screws is by heading up to the roof and removing the plastic vent cover. You may want to also replace the cover because the sponge gasket on the cover is probably dried out.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
If I remember correctly after removing the handle, you may be able to remove the dome cover without removing the dome cover screws. I think I just pulled it up with the two metal handle brackets still attached.
AIR #13642
18 Ram 1500, 06 Safari 22
SnorkyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #8
TorpedoFamily

Currently Looking...
2014 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ozark , Alabama
Ventline Fan

I called the manufactory now a Dexter Company and they referred me to the parts supplier: https://www.ventline.com/home call them and get the parts supplier name and also tech info on motor replacement.

Good luck do not think it a very bad project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb View Post
The extractor fan in the bathroom has stopped working. I've checked with a multimeter and it's getting a full 12V, and I've blown compressed air and silicone spray to see if it was obstructed/dried out, but it looks like the motor has simply seized.

I found a replacement motor that has exactly the same part number: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is I can't see any way to remove the old motor. From the inside there don't seem to be any screws between the bracket holding the motor and the metal ring inside the housing - I can see a couple of rivets that seem to hold these two together but I assume I'm not supposed to drill those out (they're pretty inaccessible anyway).

Do I need to go in from the top? Anyone else replaced the motor in this type of fan?
Torpedo Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I fixed this today - took about 20 minutes. I can reach the vent easily from a ladder against the side of the trailer, and I didn't need to remove any sealed screws on the dome - it slid out of the metal clips on either side. The kit I got from Amazon was a perfect match to the old motor - I didn't need to drill any new holes and the fan blade fit perfectly.

Thanks again everyone for the tips.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bozeman , Montana
I just had the bathroom vent fan motor go out on my 2016 27FB, as well. Your post and tips are very helpful. Thanks for the follow-up after you made the repair. Sounds like a pretty easy fix. Well done! I’ll order that same motor from Amazon and give it a shot. Many thanks!
2Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #11
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Just did this as well. Mine was a bit of a pain because I have a solar panel above the vent...so I had to detach that to get to the assembly.

Otherewise, Very easy, just two screws to remove the vent lid, then a couple screws to remove the motor (after sliding the fan off the shaft). I would recommend pulling the 12v fuse...I managed to touch the hot wire to ground or the neg wire, and blew the fuse.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #12
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
As it happens the fan in my shower is starting to squeak now, so I may need to do this again myself soon. The thing with this one is that it seems much harder to get at the inside screws holding the pull handle to the metal clips of the dome - when the dome is closed the metal clips don't quit come down far enough to expose the screws. It's almost as if the fan assembly isn't quite deep enough on that side of the trailer (or the space between the skins is deeper). I was eventually able to get to the screws by having my wife put weight on the roof in that spot, which squeezed the whole assembly inside, just far enough to get a screwdriver in there.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Austin , TX
Here is a link to a video on the motor replacement ... just for future reference.

andee_lane is offline   Reply With Quote