Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Fenton , Michigan
How many fans?

As I mostly boondock, I would like to install Fantastic fans to provide air movement for cooling, the question is how many and where?
I have a 27' TT with three vents, none with a fan. Would it be better to install one in the center of the TT over the stove or two fans , one on each end of the TT and possiably a skylight /w shade in the center?
The TT originally came with one fan in the front vent only.

Argy 78
Argy 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We have one in the front (LR) and one in the back (BR) with 2 skylights in the middle. If we had it to do over, I'd eliminate one or both of the skylights - they let in LOTS of heat and not having them would mean more insulation.

We use the fans singly and in combination to get the desired air flow.

Hope that helps!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
We installed two top-of-the-line Turbo-Maxx fans in our former SOB. We used them WAY more than the AC and found them to be invaluable. When we bought our new-to-us Safari that came with a Fantastic fan in the front, we made sure the dealer threw in a second at the rear. There are only two locations for a fan in our 25SS, otherwise I'd add a third!

I just hope the Fantastic Fans work as well as the Turbo-Maxx did for us.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
We've got a 25' and have 2 fantastic fans - one near the sofa in the front, and one over the bed in the back. I really like having both of them - both of them working can really affect the air temp in a pretty short period of time.

We've got a skylight in the middle - it does let in alot of heat during the day, which is why we close the shade when it's intense. But I do like the extra light it provides at other times.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have 2 Fantastic Fans in our 25FB. One in the bedroom and one over the dinette. It originally came with one. We added the one in the bedroom in the vent hole. This system works great for us. We also have a skylight amidships. We keep it blocked all the time. It generates way too much heat. We are trying to figure out a way to cover the skylight hole with aluminum. We just need to figure out a way to cover the inside of the hole nicely.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have two Fantastics, one in the living room, and one in the kitchen area. The one in the kitchen is more to keep the smoke alarm from announcing that dinner preparations are complete.
There is another vent in the bathroom, I'm not convinced we need 3 Fantastics in our coach.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Fantastic Fans are great, but you can't use them in the rain!!!!

I removed my single FF in my 19CCD and replaced it, along with the dead vent in the rear with a couple of MaxxAir fans. They can be used in any weather, can be set to intake or exhaust (I use one on each setting and it provides great cross-ventilation!) and are almost silent on low speed. The newest model has a wireless remote and thermostat control and variable speed.

Just another option to think about.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argy 78
As I mostly boondock, I would like to install Fantastic fans to provide air movement for cooling, the question is how many and where?
I have a 27' TT with three vents, none with a fan. Would it be better to install one in the center of the TT over the stove or two fans , one on each end of the TT and possiably a skylight /w shade in the center?

Argy 78
I had two installed in my 31' last year at the fantastic vent factory (I69 and M53) in Imlay City MI. They will install them for free if you run over there. IMO you need 2 fans one in the rear and one in the front, put one on reverse and one forward and you got air! They truly are a life saver if you can not run AC. I have run mine in the rain on exhaust of coarse and closed down quite a bit, and I have never had water come in.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argy 78

Argy 78
I have three. Living room, Bedroom and Bathroom All fantastic. The factory installed bathroom fan broke I had them erplace it with a Fantastic Fan.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I have two fantastic fans in our 22' CCD... one in the front over the bed and one toward the rear. I love them! ( and of course, the standard exhaust vent in the bathroom). I highly recommend a Fantastic Fan or equivalent.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We have three of them in our 31' and it is a bit overkill -- seldom have all three running.

Great product, though. Had a thermostat problem, called the factory and they sent out a replacement right away, no questions asked.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have two. One in front and one in back. Love 'em. Was out in the field one day and it started to pour. Ran back to the trailer and the fans both had already closed! The rain sensor feature really works!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Question for you Lewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Fantastic Fans are great, but you can't use them in the rain!!!!

I removed my single FF in my 19CCD and replaced it, along with the dead vent in the rear with a couple of MaxxAir fans. They can be used in any weather, can be set to intake or exhaust (I use one on each setting and it provides great cross-ventilation!) and are almost silent on low speed. The newest model has a wireless remote and thermostat control and variable speed.

Just another option to think about.
I notice that when the heat pump is on, the heat stays in the top of the trailer. Can any ceiling fan be used with the vent closed to recircluate the inside air? The heat pump works well here in Virginia, but my tootsies freeze when I get out of bed!

Paula
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Interesting - bath FF

Michelle -

Interesting that you have a FF in the bath.... Is it a 'normal' FF, or perhaps a smaller unit? Is there such a thing? ie smaller units.

You wouldn't 'happen' to have a few photos (inside & out) of the install???? Sounds very intriguing....! The bath can generate a LOT of humid and "*&@#" air, so this could be a terrific way to deal with that. Of course my bath fan is working AOK, but I can 'correct' that pretty easily.

Also, thanks to the poster that mentioned that FF installs are free at the factory. Does one have to buy at the factory, or could I bring one that I already have - still haven't gotten around to the install yet...... I am gonna guess that the "Free" install is on direct replacement only - not for anything that requires more than "pull old, add new". Or am I wrong on that assumtion, does anyone know?

LOVE this AS Forum. Where else can you get this kinda info??

Thanks all!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We also have a skylight amidships. We keep it blocked all the time. It generates way too much heat.
I hear you Brian. We first looked at an '05 25' FB SE with a skylight. With the shutter closed and at only 11:00 o'clock in the morning, I was amazed at all the infrared from above when I walked underneath. I'm glad we bought before the current day models made the skylight mandatory.

Argy 78, your question relates to boondocking. I'd be concerned about too many fans and your ability to make it through the night with .... does the 27' Argosy have just one Group 24 battery? It's hard on a battery to draw it lower than 50% charge.

The full opening Argosy windows were a great invention and I've appreciated opening them as soon as I'd get to a campsite on a hot day. You might get diminishing returns with a 2nd FF. I do better on long steamy nights by directing a breeze right at the people inside. overlander64 provided the recommendation which I followed. A Fantastic Vent Endless Breeze fan is what I've relied on for those long and sticky nights. It's 12 volt too.

I like Lew's MaxxAir idea -- any weather beats the rain sensor shutting your FF on you. Lew, can the MaxxAir be left open while underway too?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We have two FF, one in the front and one in the back and the Endless Breeze portable which really circulates a lot of air directly at you...great for that really sticky weather. I like both my skylights though they transmit heat or cold. I am thinking some of you have been fortunate to find some warm sunny weather. Admittedly a lot of our camping is cold weather camping. Opening the shades lets in the sun's warming rays in cold weather and makes a positive difference. In the shade of a forest or a grey day it lets in welcome light, and in the sun when it's hot I close the shades. I like the versatility and don't always have them fully open or fully closed but follow the suns direction during the day. It also lets in natural light sometimes preferable to artificial lighting. And at a rest stop we can slide them open and have full privacy with unpowered night lights.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
...............'snip'...................

I like Lew's MaxxAir idea -- any weather beats the rain sensor shutting your FF on you. Lew, can the MaxxAir be left open while underway too?
Yup!

I keep at least one open while I'm on the road, especially when it's very hot!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #18
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Michelle -

Interesting that you have a FF in the bath.... Is it a 'normal' FF, or perhaps a smaller unit? Is there such a thing? ie smaller units.

You wouldn't 'happen' to have a few photos (inside & out) of the install???? Sounds very intriguing....! The bath can generate a LOT of humid and "*&@#" air, so this could be a terrific way to deal with that. Of course my bath fan is working AOK, but I can 'correct' that pretty easily.

Axel
SilverToy
Axel,
Yep. One in the Bathroom. The original one "sucked". The dinky fan with no schroud. It did little to nothing but make noise. The new fan went in the old hole no mods.

The big advantage I can turn the batheroom fan on and open the rear one and the bedroom cools off quickly. I do not have to wait for the whole trailer to cool down before sleeping.

Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the install I was at the Air Force Museum while they were doing it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Fenton , Michigan
Thanks to all for the information, I will be adding two FFs.
Will the FF work with the new Maxx vents or should I remove them over the FFs and place one over the center vent so I can leave it open for ventalation when we are away from the TT?
Argy 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
'78 -- The MaxxAir is a complete powered vent that is an alternative to the FF. You wouldn't have to have a FF underneath it. It does everything a FF does and maybe better. Advantages are that the MaxxAir can be opened passively for circulation as you drive and that it doesn't have to shut itself when it's raining out. I have a FF on my Safari, so I've only heard about the MaxxAir. It's a very reasonable alternative.

I don't doubt the MaxxAir folks aim to please. But here at AIR Forums members relate great stories about the lengths the FF company will go to correct problems, ship parts or all new units at no cost.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote